Default WTF! why is xm radio illegal where i live?

I went to best buy to buy two things...sequrity system, and an xm
radio unit. Aparantly, they dont carry xm-radio units becasue it is
illegal where i live! I live in Canada. The salesmen at best buy
told me that they are only legal in Ontario and Quebec. I live in
Alberta.

Why is it illegal here? Is it so that local radio stations dont
loose outon business? Or is it becasue it interferes with some
important safety feature with my local hospitals or airforce police
army ...... what is this ****?

If i purchase one over the internet ... how can i get caught with it?
Can i pick up a signal in alberta and bc ( i travell to BC alot) ?
Can my authorities find out i am useing an xm-radio unit because i am
making the monthly payment?

Honestly, what is the likely hood of a cop pulling me over for
speeding noticeing my stero and giving me a ticket???

info PLEASE!
thanks... as iw ait for your peoples responses i am gonna see what
google produces !

thanks alot

Arny Krueger

"Rilian" wrote in message

= From www.xmradio.com:

Is XM Service available in Canada and Mexico?
XM is only licensed to provide service to the US (All states except
Alaska and Hawaii), its territories and adjacent waters. XM's
satellite signal reaches into portions of Canada and Mexico near the
U.S. borders however, XM's service is not currently sold in Canada,
Mexico or any other region outside of the continental United States.

While we think of Sirius and XM as being satellite-based services, in fact
they are ground/satellite hybrids. The further north you go the dicier
ground-based reception of satellites get. In many northern US cities,
additional ground-based transmitters with limited range are provided to fill
"holes" in the satellite coverage.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/news/ca..._2001.rittz173
1-story-bctechtechxmsatellitefccdc.html

http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20010628S0088