jungyumguy

Default speaker wiring

newbie question....

ok, so i installed a set of coaxial speakers myself in my '00 accord,
and want to know if i wired them properly:

so all i did was clip the factory harness off the existing speaker wire
and then crimped those wires to the crossovers going to each speaker.
i didn't really check to see if one wire was + or - but the speakers
are working ok now, just not playing as well as i expected.

what i want to know is if the two speaker wires going to each crossover
have polarity (or whatever you call it). in other words, is one wire
(-) and one (+) and does it matter how you connect those wires to the
crossover?

I couldn't tell which of the factory wires was + or - because they
weren't the standard red/black (instead they were weird colors like
purple and orange for the left speaker, green and red for the right
speaker). So I was wondering if the wires ARE designated + and -, how
to figure out which one is which?

The reason I ask is because some dude said you gotta make sure that
your speakers are in phase, and i'm not sure what he was talking about.

I hope this makes sense. Lemme know if it doesn't and I'll try to
clarify.
--
jungyumguy
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...hreadid=164408

Adair Winter

"jungyumguy" wrote in message
[...]

the wires do have polarity, as for figuring that out i don't really know,
but so long as all of them match all the way around the car then you should
be ok. unless the crossever wants to see + and -. having one speaker hooked
up different from another will cause a phase problem and cancel out sound.
this might be your problem.
Adair

David

If you removed the factory speakers and clipped off the connector yourself,
just plg the connectors back into the (now removed) factory speakers and
touch the cut ends to a 9v battery. If the speaker cone jumps forward, then
the battery polarity matches the speaker polarity! make a note of the
colors/polarity and wire the new speakers respectively...

An important note The positive terminal on a 9v battery is the SMALL
ONE...

David
UnderTheDash.com

"jungyumguy" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Bill Pallies

This might help in determining which wire is (+) and which one is (-).

http://tinyurl.com/u2p9

It does matter that your speakers are in phase. However you wire one, so
must you wire the other. For some reason, car companies always designate
crazy wire colors for the speakers, and then change them every so many
years.

Also, when you say "crossover" what exactly do you mean by that? If the
speakers are coaxial, do they have more than 2 terminals on them? In other
words, is there a component that you connect the speakers to and then
connect that to the speaker wire coming from the headunit?

Anyway, I hope the wiring guide above matches the wires in your car. Good
luck

-Bill

[...]

Adair Winter

"David" wrote in message
If you removed the factory speakers and clipped off the connector

yourself,
just plg the connectors back into the (now removed) factory speakers and
touch the cut ends to a 9v battery. If the speaker cone jumps forward,

then
the battery polarity matches the speaker polarity! make a note of the
colors/polarity and wire the new speakers respectively...

An important note The positive terminal on a 9v battery is the SMALL
ONE...

David
UnderTheDash.com

Ah! Totally forgot about the 9v battery trick... duh.

Adair

Wiring for component "drawers"? Michael Volow General 2 March 13th 04 03:46 AM
speaker wiring AL General 4 December 29th 03 12:28 PM
Weird static right-front speaker only: factory radio: 93 Civic (Very loud at times!) Scott Mumford Car Audio 10 September 24th 03 06:33 PM
amp speaker question Basshead Car Audio 0 September 7th 03 10:09 PM
Audi A2 - Wiring of amplifier Jörg Sauer Car Audio 0 July 28th 03 07:08 PM