Posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

Default a good example of bad technical writing

Someone recently posted the following Web page

http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaS...eltaSigma.html

for those who wanted to learn how delta-sigma modulation works.

Although Herr Beis's writing, per se, is better than that of most American
engineers, this is a terrible piece of documentation. It's not only poorly
organized (it doesn't properly "start at the beginning"), but it doesn't
explain what it's supposed to explain.

All I'm shown is a block diagram of a delta-sigma converter, without any
coherent explanation of how it works. What is the purpose of the integrator
after the difference circuit? If the feedback signal from the internal DAC
is to roughly equal to the input signal (so that the difference circuit
doesn't clip), whence comes the differentiation needed to reverse the
integration? What are the threshold levels for the comparator?

And so on, and so on, and so on...

The quality of technical documentation that comes from US electronics firms
isn't just poor -- it's horrible. It's written primarily by engineers, 99%
of whom have zero communications skills. * They think that because the
reader has a college degree, he'll automatically understand whatever they
write, no matter how disorganized or incoherent. The result is COIK
writing -- "clear only if known".

Now... Can someone please point me to a site that actually explains how
delta-sigma conversion works? Thanks!

* I've seen a few very well-written documents. But they're about as rare as
hen's teeth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 04:30:50 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Now... Can someone please point me to a site that actually explains how
delta-sigma conversion works? Thanks!

FInd yourself a copy of Horowitz and Hill (The Art of Electronics) -
there is a good explanation in there.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:30:50 -0500, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

[...]

My recently departed mother spent most of her life as the public affairs
officer of a US Navy experimental laboratory. Her job was to "distill" the
poor communications of brilliant engineers into something the rest of us
could understand.

It's a gift.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nappy

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
Someone recently posted the following Web page

http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaS...eltaSigma.html

for those who wanted to learn how delta-sigma modulation works.

you may want to try one of the engineering newsgroups.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

Now... Can someone please point me to a site that actually
explains how delta-sigma conversion works? Thanks!

FInd yourself a copy of Horowitz and Hill (The Art of Electronics) --
there is a good explanation in there.

Guess what... It's sitting on my bookshelf! (Bought it years ago, but only
browsed it.) Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

My recently departed mother spent most of her life as the public affairs
officer of a US Navy experimental laboratory. Her job was to "distill" the
poor communications of brilliant engineers into something the rest of us
could understand.

It's a gift.

I have that gift, but no one wants to hire me for it.