Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phillip[_3_] Phillip[_3_] is offline

Default Wow and flutter on cassette tape + loss of high frequency

Hi there. I'm wondering whether there is any work around at all,
software or otherwise, to repair the sound of a cassette tape, that
was recorded on a tape deck a while ago and had this bad sound since
the beginning (to the fault of the deck's head or something else)...
the tape is actually in good condition itself. Anyways, the sound of
the music on the cassette is what I guess is "wow and flutter" - as
well as some loss of high frequency. I don't think I have that deck
anymore what was used to record that tape...I just remember that the
head of that deck was quite dirty...
Sometimes, at a beginning of a song, possibly after another pause in
recording, the sound is very rich and "normal" for about 3 to 4
seconds, then drifts off into a more muffled sound with wow and
flutter.
I've read a bit about azimuth adjustment, but I think that's only to
increase the high frequency on a cassette recorded on another deck,
nothing to do with wow and flutter??

Is there anything that I can do, either with a deck or software (very
willing to try that out) to gain high frequency OR reduce the wow and
flutter? I've been restoring cassettes and records to mp3 for quite a
few years now.

Thanks!