Stewart Pinkerton

On 30 Sep 2004 00:19:53 GMT, "Mike Gilmour"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 28 Sep 2004 00:46:02 GMT, B&D wrote:

I find the speaker "break in" vaguely reminiscent of the old wear-out
"bathtub" curves - where there is a period of early failure, followed by a
period of constant failure rate (hopefully low) and then an accelerating
failure rate as the components themselves wear out.

Except that this isn't what actually happens, except perhaps for foam
surrounds, and that's just chemical degradation, not actual wear. All
the available evidence suggests that driver 'break-in' occurs in the
first few seconds, if at all.

DO tubes "break in" - I kinow they need to warm up some to perform to
their
peak - but is there a period of breakin?

Actually no, tubes begin to wear out from the first time they're
switched on. The only question is - how much do you allow them to
degrade before changing them? Doesn't seem like a great recipe for
top-class sound to me..................

That's a bit like saying your car begins to wear out driving it away from
the showroom, which of course it does.

Actually no, as cars *do* 'run in' over the first few thousand miles,
especially the transmissions, and then settle into a long (typically
80k-150k miles nowadays) period in which the performance is pretty
much peaked.

may take a couple of hours for Ia to settle down thereafter it stays
generally okay till the end of its life when emission starts to fade away...
that happens to us all eventually ;-

Yup, but it only takes a couple of thousand hours for an output valve
to 'fade away' completely, whereas a SS output device will likely be
performing exactly the same in twenty years as it does today.

I'd say if you are having the readjust standing bias frequently then the
valve most likely dying..so just change the valve (matched pair then both)
and rebias..only takes a couple of minutes.

No running costs or hassle at all with SS, plus an initial cost of
about 30% or less of an equivalent valve amp - no contest for any
sensible audiophile!

Stewart Pinkerton

On 30 Sep 2004 00:20:46 GMT, "Chelvam" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message

snip..................

But how can I complete the 150 hours of burn-in playback during the 7 day
return period to assure that I haven't unfairly disadvantaged the speaker with
this procedure?

Business minded ones invented some sort of burn in CDs to shorten the time.

Ah, but were they approved by the speaker manufacturer? :-)

Lasse

B&D wrote in message ...
If your dealer has a generous trade in policy and an extended money-back
period, you are in good shape - take the speakers home and see if they sound
good in your room - and see if you like them for the long haul. If not,
send 'em back. What's the problem, really?

The problem is logic. It seems that almost always the break-in period is
longer than the money-back period. Let's assume that manufacturer
knows this and that he is certain that break-in will significantly
improve sound. Now, why would any sensible manufacturer risk a deal
by not breaking in the elements already in the factory? If I were
manufacturing a $10k loudspeaker, I would definitely break in elements
already in the factory (and I would still have an incentive to claim that
break-in improves sound, see my earlier post).

So, by logic alone:
1. There is always incentive to _claim_ that break-in improves sound
2. If break-in causes audible improvements, why doesn't manufacturer
or dealer do this himself?

The 2. point is usually countered with either cost factors or with the
claim that equipment needs break-in after storing or moving anyway.
The cost factor cannot be significant in more expensive speakers and
those people who have moved a lot or been away from home for long periods
could possibly tell if there has been any changes in their systems sound,
meaning bigger changes than expected psychological ones like listening
in the evening vs. listening in the morning.

Lasse Ukkonen

"If your dealer has a generous trade in policy and an extended money-back
period, you are in good shape - take the speakers home and see if they
sound
good in your room - and see if you like them for the long haul. If not,
send 'em back. What's the problem, really?"

Nothing, but we want to subtract, not add to, the myths of audio;
including "breaking in" as realities that will not change either in the
store or at home. To put the sales pitch in perspective the "take them
home and break them in" should then be followed by generous laughter, and
a good time was had by all as one heads to home depot and rs to get new
wire.
George Deliz

Chelvam wrote:

"Dersu" wrote in message

snip....snip..

Now you have got me worried! Should I have broken in my new cables? They

are
a kind of copper wire and they are a bit longer than the old ones, can
anyone tell me if I'm missing out on that final ounce of performance?

Oh yes, you need to break in the cable. If I am not mistaken Sheffield Lab
got Burn in Cd for cable, speakers and probably others. That's the view of
many.

But having said that, I have not heard any significant difference because it
is my habit to let things run for about 50 hours or so before listening.

Do you think that CD's would benefit from that much burn in? (What about LP's?)
And if so does that mean that the burn in CD for cable should be burned
in before using it to burn in the cables? In fact should all test discs be
burned in before
using them to set up a system? Good grief think how many sound systems have been

improperly set up because the test disc was used while still 'green'.
Oh, the humanity.

George Deliz

The
only thing which i noticed of break in was after changing some caps i.e
black gates, hovland which I think it probably improved the sound after
about 100 hours. Others I am not so sure. And, I do not want to debate on
this.

Nousaine

(Robert C. Lang) wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message
(Robert C. Lang) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message
My only concern is - how will I know when they have stopped

breaking
in, and started wearing out? You can't reasonably have one without the
other.....................

Does it necessarily follow that a period of "break-in" leads directly
into an immediate period of decline? Can it be that the break-in
period is followed by a lengthy "plateau" period in which performance
stays within minimum specification or peak efficiency before
noticeably or measurably beginning to wear out?

Why would that be implied? Do drag racers get faster with use? Do race cars
have to be broken-in?

I don't know about drag racers and racecars but I assume the principal
would be the same as with high revving motorcycles and automobiles.
The manufacturers strongly recommend that you keep the engine
revolutions down during the "break in" period, and that you change
your oil more frequently during the brake in period. Do these machines
perform better (faster) after they have been driven for a while? All
the car magazines say yes and have published times to support this
(not to prove anything).

AFAIK they have not. Most magazine coverage includes driving the hell out of a
car as soon as they get it. The closest thing I can recall to later testing is
that one of the mags may have confirmed that a vehicle(s) included in their
long term tests did not suffer performance after several months. Perhaps you
have references of which I am unaware?

But of course they are not about to race a
car right off the assembly line. That could cause severe damage or
shorten the life of the engine.

As far as I can tell magazines just light 'em up as soon as they get the car.
Given the magazine 'dead-line' lifestyle they don't have time to carefully
break-in the vehicles used for evaluation.

So may be the car is as fast right off
the assembly line as it is after the break in period. But we will
never know because no one is about to risk damage to his or her
expensive machinery to prove a point.

On the contrary a magazine evaluation doesn't want to have a car break during
testing BUT they do conduct performance testing without a careful break-in as
far as I can tell. On the other hand, I would expect that performance testing
(0-60, top speed, skidpad) probably comes after the driving. I know that my
power testing of loudspeakers is the last thing I do during evaluation. This
has nothing to do with break-in; it's just more effficient to have a product
break when more of the evaluation work has been completed.

I'm not talking about just speakers, but any product that has moving
parts (but also electronics as well). If speaker materials do change
their behavior maybe it's like breaking in a pair of shoes; the first
minutes, or maybe even the first hours (hopefully not) the shoe will
quickly feel better as it "loosens up" and conforms to your
feet(hopefully not the other way around, but maybe your feet do a
little conforming also.) After the "break in" process the shoe has a
"constant" feel about it for months or years until they begin to
noticeably wear and start to feel uncomfortable again.

Sure; but that example has 'touching' moving parts. Your feet and body

fluids
are in direct contact plus there is plenty of direct pressure from external
forces.

Isn't there a lot of direct pressure and environmental forces brought
to bear on speaker drivers, especially woofers?

The radiation resistance of the radiating surface and the air is the primary
pressure source. Does your voice get stronger after you've yelled for a while?
It IS true that if you go into training (yell for a long time in a controlled
manner) that you may get into better shape but speakers aren't organic in the
sense that they "can condition themselves."

The major environmental forces on speakers other than atmospheric pressure are
temperature change, humidity, dust and exposure to ultraviolet light.

And remember the "moving" parts of a moving coil loudspeaker have NO direct
contact with each other. The places that touch are glued or screwed together.

I currently own 2 pair of Penny Loafers that are now 20 years old. Both

have
had several set of soles/heels over the years. However I seldom wear them

these
days and they both feel now feel "strange" when I do even though each pair

was
well-broken-in and fully comfortable when rotated out of service. Sitting

in my
closet didn't cause the shoes to change .... my feel and my feet are the

only
change agents.

Not exactly. Shoes sitting in the closet for extended periods, such as
20 years, *do* change. Everything on the planet, unless they are
hermetically sealed begins to change/wear from the time it is
produced.

So you are saying that things get "de-broken-in" when they are not used? Why
won't your speakers just break-themselves-in on the shelf in inventory then?
How about the parts before assembly? Are they always changing even when idle?
Then how can anyone attribute ANY change in performance to break-in?

The environment, even on shoes sitting in the closet, can
cause not so subtle change and deterioration. Nevertheless, your point
is well made because you would more likely changed far more than the
shoes.

Baseball gloves
are clearly that way. They can take a season to loosen up, and then
they stay seemingly constant for years.

This is pure conjecture. My glove never took a season to "loosen up" it

began
loosening from the first day and never stopped. Just because I only played
baseball/softball in the summer months it may have psychological "seemed

like
there was a lengthy full performance period."

Of course, your glove began to loosen up from the first day and never
stopped, which is why I used the word "seemingly" stayed constant.

So the "perception" of stability may be more important than the actual amount
of change then? That's actually my basic point about loudspeaker "break-in";
I've conducted and published experiments that show there IS no performance
variation with woofers that have been broken in for the manufacturers
recommended 24,48 and 150 hour break-in. It is true that some parameters (Fs,
Vas and system resonance) will 'measure; differently immediately following the
break-in process but if they are allowed to sit for several hours they will
return to the "fresh" values and more importantly the SOUND does not change
under either condition.

The
point is when first purchased the glove is not ready for a player
under game conditions until it's "broken in" as determined by the ball
player. The glove is just used in practice situations with the
previous glove still used for the game.

You must be one of the rich guys. When I played baseball/softball I used a
given glove for as long as it held together and I didn't acquire a new one
until the old one was just plain busted.

And even when the new glove is
first used in "game" situations it still may not be completely broken
in.

But let's not forget that baseball gloves (what ever happened to the term
mitts?) have 1) a high interaction with user preference and skill 2) have
physical contact with the player and the game object 3) are subject to being
'flung' after and error or into the dugout after an inning 4) are generally
made of animal skin which has a much higher organic content than steel, ceramic
magnets, rubber, paper or plastics.

Then, perhaps over the next 2-3 years are so, as you correctly
point out, the glove will continue to "loosen", "wear", "deteriorate",
whatever term you feel is most appropriate, but all the while meeting
minimum specifications, as determined by the player, for good
performance. Then at some point it becomes too loose, too broken in
and it becomes time to break in a new glove.

So where does the break-in stop and the wear-out begin? How do you know?

Here's the counter example. How many times have you been ready to resume

play
in the spring only to discover that your trusty glove became 'worn-out'

over
the winter. Here's another good example; who has NOT found his old glove

from a
past glorious period of baseball greatness and found it has has "worn-out"
sitting the closet?

Never really had those experiences or I have forgotten about them.

Perhaps I'm just older than you. I once found my special (I think it was a
Rawlings "Bob Lemon" fielders mitt) glove from my high school days that my Mom
had stored for many years and I was astounded at how beaten-to-hell that glove
was. Sure it had stiffened from not being oiled for years BUT it was a tattered
mess and not the pride and joy I once used.

Perhaps because living in California, we literally coach and play
organized ball (in leagues) 10-12 months out of the year. We go right
from fall ball to winter ball. Of course, a glove sitting in the
closet for a long period of time, such as what you described, *will*
continue to deteriorate, like everything else on the planet, unless
its hermetically sealed. A closet will offer only partial protection
and may actually be harmful to leather because it's not maintained.
But, nevertheless, I see your point. Clearly, there are non-physical,
psychological factors at play here as well. But one does not mutually
exclude the other. And if speaker break in does exist it would involve
both, as all the other examples we have bee talking about.

Actually my experience shows that speakers may 'warm-up' but they do NOT
break-in. The user-interface is where the breaking-in happens.

If this were NOT true than why does EVERY break-in account report success?
Isn't it true that any 'change' process has a bell-shaped distribution? Why are
the ONLY people who have reported actual experimental data are ignored but ALL
the other anecdotal reports and impassioned arguments are equally important?

Let's assume for a moment that break-in is important; wouldn't there be a
distribution of break-in results? Wouldn't there be a few reports that
performance deteriorated?

And more importantly why would a reputable high-end manufacturer who had
actually confirmed break-in as a real effect EVER let an un-broken-in product
leave the factory? Isn't that why we buy expensive loudspeakers.... to get that
something "extra"?

Or the time when we had some
doors hung. They did not swing right, they were a little stiff, even
though they were hung properly.

A drop of oil and/or a sag of the hinges is a pretty good cure. But that's

not
'breakin-in" If they were stiff when hung they weren't "properly" hung.

The craftsman assured us that in a few days, after breaking in (use)
they would feel fine. He was right; after a little use the doors began
to open and close (swing) as expected and have done so for years.

OK I'll buy that, but exactly 'what' was the break-in mechanism? Did you mean
that the actual contact patches on the hinges weren't initially smooth? Or did
the fasteners need sometime to work themselves out? Or what?

If its friction related than you certainly don't have a good analogy with
loudspeaker break-in. If we have moving parts which aren't permanently attached
that 'touch' then we have a broken speaker.

I'm not sure who was hanging your doors but if they were 'stiff' in the
beginning they should have been made right.

There is nothing to suggest that the doors were not hung properly to
begin with. Maybe the hinges, as stated by the craftsman, needed to
break-in for a day or two. In any event, it has been 20 years and the
doors work great. No oil was applied. They were not rehung. Improperly
hung doors cannot self correct.

There are other examples such as my motorcycle. The
clutch/transmission system was stiff when first purchased. Shifting
had to be done very deliberately and was audibly clunky. But in a few
days or weeks, as cautioned by experienced riders, shifting reached an
optimum tension level, became smoother, more quite and stayed that way
for many years before finally beginning to wear out (became loose and
unreliable). Many veteran BMW riders (not me) don't consider their
engines (not transmissions) fully broken in until after 40,000 miles.

First of all I think that 'getting used' to the action may apply to much of
this.

Of course, getting use to it plays a part, but that does not explain
the transmission smoothing out and becoming audibly quieter in a few
days. Again, there are physical and non-physical factors at play here.
One does not mutually exclude the other. You really don't believe that
the interaction, friction, or whatever of moving parts can cause this
kind of change?

It is true that
elastic parts (spider, surround) may change with wear but simple

experiments
have shown that this type of "wear" doesn't occur with short periods of

use.

That's all I'm talking about. Now whether these changes are audible is
an entirely different question, which for me is not a burning
question.

If there's no audible effect who the heck cares? As you've explained shoes and
speakers will "change" sitting in a closet. The real question is .... does
break-in positively influence the sound of the loudspeaker? If the answer is
NO.....who cares?

I have never formed an opinion on speaker break in because whether it
exists or not, the listener, it would appear, by taking the time to
listen over a few days or weeks, can make a more accurate, sensible
decision with respect to their tastes.

Now you are talking about "listener" acclaimitization or perhaps
training but
NOT speaker break-in.

Of course, I'm talking about (including)listener acclimatization, room
interaction, changes in the speaker and anything else that might
contribute to reaching a sensible decision for the buyer on whether he
or she will like the speakers for the long haul.

Resources for researching speaker break-in, if they do exist, should
probably be redirected for more worth while pursuits.

Robert C. Lang

This effect has been investigated. It's an urban legend.

Urban legend? I really don't believe the term was even in my active
vocabulary until I joined this group that will sometimes immortalize
certain subjects, such as speaker break-in. For me, personally,
speaker break-in has never been a factor in me buying or rejecting a
speaker. I really believe that the whole thing is overblown, in this
group, not by those who subscribe to the belief, such as Mr. Williams,
but more so by those who lambaste or ridicule those who do believe
that audible changes can occur in the first few hours or days with a
new speaker.

Oh please. I've never ridiculed anybody about this issue. I simply have
conducted experiments and found break-in unsupportable from an engineering
standpoint but does appear to have a strong economic and merchandising element.

The "urban legend", is being fostered and fueled, given
added airtime, by those that claim to want to squelch it. I believe
Mr. Williams was sincere with his request "that those who disagree
allow those of us they believe to be mistaken to continue in the error
of our ways without comment." Well, at least he gave it a shot.

So it's important to you that "belief" is paramount and evidence to the
contrary is not useful. That's OK by me. But I thinkthat there may be other
interested parties who would like to see the entire horizon.

I find speaker break in, true or false, not worthy of all the ire that
it draws.

What ire? Loudspeaker break-in is an Urban Legend and it seems to be strongly
correlated with return policy. What's wrong with examining the issue at a base
level?

The phenomenon is finite, lasting only a few hours or days.
I have yet to personally know a victim; that is, anyone who has lost
money or were stuck with speakers they did not like because they were
misled into believeing they would love them after the return policy
had expired but before the break-in was complete.

OK; so you report that nobody has complained to you. So? I can't recall anybody
I know who has complained about a Bose product. I've heard no complaints about
XM radio. No complaints from ordinary citizens about MP3. No complaints about
Dolby Digital. No complaints about HTIB systems.

On the contrary I
and audiophiles that I know ensure that the return policy provides
ample time for a home trial to undo a mistake. It's not that
difficult!

You are suggesting this is even so when the return policy period makes it
practically impossible to fully break-in a speaker within the specified
break-in period.

What this means to me is that "break-in" simply isn't an issue or an effect
that has a material impact on sound quality.

On the other hand, speaker cables and interconnects have a much more
profound effect on the consumers pocketbook. I personally know many
audiophiles that have spent untold hundreds and thousands of dollars
on these accessories. Do high priced speaker cables and interconnects
make a difference? That is a far more burning issue for me because if
they don't make a difference thousands of audiophiles may have been
victimized.

Robert C. Lang

P.S.

May be we could conduct a poll, unscientific though it may be, on who
(and *how*)in this group has been victimized because of speaker break
in beliefs. I really would like to know.

I'd agree with you sentiments on cabling. There are far more 'victims' in the
sense that cables and other acessories were specifically intended to grab
dollars out of the pockets of guys who want to hang out at stereo stores when
they weren't in the market for a new amplifier.

They are also designed to put some margin back into a sale where there may be
intensive price competition on the basic components.

Of course, cabling has no real impact on sound quality; but I stand in awe of
someone who puts loudspeaker break-in on a higher plane of urban legend :-)
Robert C. Lang

(Robert C. Lang) wrote:

Would I like to know to an absolute certainty whether speaker break-in
is myth or truth or whether it applies to some speaker designs and not
others? Absolutely! I'm only saying that, for me personally, there are
higher audio priorities.

(Nousaine) wrote in message

As I've said before I have personally investigated the phenomenon. "Break-in"
is an urban legend.

Have you or anyone produced a research paper that argues to prove or
disprove speaker break-in that has been accepted by The Journal of the
Audio Engineering Society? If so, please direct me to it. I realize
that such a paper would not be deemed as proof, but that would give it
credibility.

I'm also saying that I have not seen any
compelling arguments that there are a whole lot of victims due to
manufacturers, dealers, reviewers, and other consumers all saying that
some speakers need to be broken in. I have only seen vague
illustrations as to how consumers may be victimized about break in
claims.

I've described a system where the manufacturer in the owner's manual claims
that the speaker will become progressively better sounding over its first 150
hours of use. I've also asked a local retailer what the return-privileges might
be. The reply was 7-calendar days. This means that a customer would have to
"listen to" the speaker for 21 hours a day for the full 7-days to get the
full-sonic impact of the product.

IMO this just means that the 150-hour break-in period is simply a merchandising
tool to prevent buyer's remorse. Not that this would make any 'real'
difference; but the idea is just designed to make sure that the customer has a
chance to acclaimitize himself to the possibility that the speaker will not
sound exactly the same as it did in the showroom.

Well, I have personal experience where the manufacturer said that the
speaker break in would take only a "few hours" and that I had 30 days
to make a decision. He did not put any special emphasis on "break in"
he was more concerned about room interaction. True, my experience may
not be the norm, but I have not found that your illustration
represents the norm either.

But more important than whether there is proof one way or the other, I
see this break in issue as built in protection for consumers who can
legitimately demand to hold off their final purchase decisions on
loudspeakers until they have an opportunity to try them out at home.

Most (all) dealers I
know completely understand that. The consumer may find that the
speakers do sound lousy at home, but may be due to room and associated
equipment issues or other issues even those related to break in. It
doesn't matter as long as we can take the opportunity to get a home
trial.

Home trials are a different issue from Break-in. Home trial is a policy.
Break-In is an engineering effect.

I simply don't treat it that way; nor do other audiophiles I know.
It's (home trial and break-in) sort of all bundled together. Keep in
mind I have not found that there is even an uninamity on what
constitutes "break in". I view it as a combination of several things
that include primarily acclimatization and experimentation, possibly
physical changes that may occur with the speaker, how it fits/looks
(phyically), etc., etc. But it doesn't matter how its broken out
because it's a synergy thing. If the product doesn't sound good in my
system in my room it goes back; for whatever reasons.

Again, if a consumer buys a speaker that they don't particularly like
in the dealers show room banking on that they will love the speaker
after break in, they are beyond reach no matter how much you
proslytize against speaker break in beliefs.

Besides, I don't see many (or any that I know, even Joe Six Pack)
consumers buying speakers that they are from the onset sonically
displeased with in the dealers show room.

Really. If that's so than why would a manufacturer specify a break-in period if
they haven't conducted relicable experiments to show they are needed?

I don't see the realtionship to my statement and your response, but
that could be because I don't have an inside perspective or
understanding on how the speaker industry works. Question: Are
specifications about break in formal? I rarely see it written. It's
usually something that is casually spoken about by the dealer. (In
many car and motorcycle manuals the break in procedure is spelled out
in bold print)

The dealers' claim is
usually "if you think you like these speakers now just wait until you
break them in a little". I mean if a consumer buys a speaker that they
don't particularly like or just likes a little in the dealers show
room banking on that they will love the speaker after break in, can
you really protect that person with definitive data on break in
phenomena?

I agree that customers should have courted the literature before purchase. And
I fully understand that the sales staff certianly is unlikely to "know" the
truth. That doesn't make Break-In NOT an Urban Legend.

And threads like this gives the "Urban Legend" a measure of free
publicity, which in this case, Mr. Williams, who started the thread,
clearly sought to avoid. This thread has 40+ responses. If the
non-believers in break in had respected his simple request not to
comment (of course, it is understood that any post is fair game for
response) this thread would have 4 or 5 posts at best.

I say let's use the manufacturers and dealers claims that speakers
require break in to our advantage.

How can that happen when you disregard the facts of the matter? Return Policy
is a separate matter and Break-In legend simply confuses matters.

May be I'm missing something, but I honestly and truly don't see what
the big deal is. On a scale of 1 to 10 of importance in audio consumer
protection cables/interconnects 10+, speaker break in 1.

Wessel Dirksen

We gotta watch out that this generalization comparability logic
doesn't get out of hand.

Loudspeaker tranducers are just that; cars are cars and baseball
gloves are destinct from both. The concept behind mechanical break-in
is legitimate and explanable from basic physics behind it. But
everything has it's own set of rules. Drivers used to commonly have
break-in in old days, lots of it I believe but not so today for the
average modern driver that you see in let's say 95% of the speakers on
the market. (I'm making a very generalized assumption that "unusual"
drivers are in +/-5% of the products out there but I think it's less)

But if you get down to basic materials: Metals and natural fibers tend
to exhibit some mechanical changes when first subject to stress forces
until they reach an equilibrium and then usually remain stable for a
long time if the forces are such that the structural integrity is not
compromised, ie not too much stress. Polymers, from what I hear (not
my first hand knowledge) have the tendancy to be "what you see is what
you get" right out of the mold. This is one reason why (besides price)
loudspeaker manufacturers use them extensively, consistancy is gold!
If unit to unit consistancy is a mandate, then initial mechanical
consistancy comes along for the ride. You really can't have one
without the other because it reduces one more factor that can vary. If
a loudspeaker driver would have a lot of break-in, then this break in
factor would be just one more process that could vary from unit to
unit. So it's inheirantly avoided, and not by accident.
Chelvam

"George Deliz" wrote in message

Do you think that CD's would benefit from that much burn in? (What about

LP's?)
And if so does that mean that the burn in CD for cable should be burned
in before using it to burn in the cables?

--------------

No..No...they apply the oppiste treatment for CDs. Instead of burn-in try
"cool-in". Something like freezing the CDs, i think that's quite a popular
tweaks that you will find plenty of information googling.

Chelvam

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Business minded ones invented some sort of burn in CDs to shorten the

time.

Ah, but were they approved by the speaker manufacturer? :-)

Smart businessman will only approach esteemed magz like TAS, Stereophile.

BTW, I believe I have read one speaker manufacturer did suggest burn in CD
to shorten the initial break in time. Let's see if I can find the speaker.

Mike Gilmour

wrote:

[...]

A mute point considering modern manufacturing tolerances, advances in
lubrication and cleaner build environments....hardly the run-in palaver of
yesteryear. Now it's common sense for a while... though the tyres benefit
from an easy childhood.

may take a couple of hours for Ia to settle down thereafter it stays
generally okay till the end of its life when emission starts to fade
away...
that happens to us all eventually ;-

Yup, but it only takes a couple of thousand hours for an output valve
to 'fade away' completely, whereas a SS output device will likely be
performing exactly the same in twenty years as it does today.

Agreed, though for me I accept that because I enjoy music amplified by
certain valve equipment. Over the years I tried SS pre & power amplifiers
from many of the major manufacturers & liked just a few... Nagra and FM
Acoustics come to mind.. but until IMO that level of audio performance is a
bit more affordable I'll stay with valves.

I'd say if you are having the readjust standing bias frequently then the
valve most likely dying..so just change the valve (matched pair then both)
and rebias..only takes a couple of minutes.

No running costs or hassle at all with SS, plus an initial cost of
about 30% or less of an equivalent valve amp - no contest for any
sensible audiophile!

My listening enjoyment comes first.... so without a reasonably affordable
alternative I accept the valve replacement costs.

Mike

Stewart Pinkerton

On 1 Oct 2004 23:02:08 GMT, "Chelvam" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Business minded ones invented some sort of burn in CDs to shorten the

time.

Ah, but were they approved by the speaker manufacturer? :-)

Smart businessman will only approach esteemed magz like TAS, Stereophile.

BTW, I believe I have read one speaker manufacturer did suggest burn in CD
to shorten the initial break in time. Let's see if I can find the speaker.

Please don't bother, that was supposed to be a *joke*. Break-in simply
does not exist.

Robert C. Lang

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...
(Robert C. Lang) wrote:

OK. I'm throwing in the towel on all those issues about baseball
gloves, doors, cars, etc. in part because you were scoring points
faster than I could fend them off and because it was never my intent
to make a direct tie in to speaker break in.

This effect has been investigated. It's an urban legend.

Urban legend? I really don't believe the term was even in my active
vocabulary until I joined this group that will sometimes immortalize
certain subjects, such as speaker break-in. For me, personally,
speaker break-in has never been a factor in me buying or rejecting a
speaker. I really believe that the whole thing is overblown, in this
group, not by those who subscribe to the belief, such as Mr. Williams,
but more so by those who lambaste or ridicule those who do believe
that audible changes can occur in the first few hours or days with a
new speaker.

Oh please. I've never ridiculed anybody about this issue. I simply have
conducted experiments and found break-in unsupportable from an engineering
standpoint but does appear to have a strong economic and merchandising element.

I want to make it clear that I was not referring to you personally.

The "urban legend", is being fostered and fueled, given
added airtime, by those that claim to want to squelch it. I believe
Mr. Williams was sincere with his request "that those who disagree
allow those of us they believe to be mistaken to continue in the error
of our ways without comment." Well, at least he gave it a shot.

So it's important to you that "belief" is paramount and evidence to the
contrary is not useful. That's OK by me. But I thinkthat there may be other
interested parties who would like to see the entire horizon.

Actually, evidence is important which is why I specifically asked in
another post about research results that may have been accepted by the
Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. But of course you may have
picked up that I have not been arguing any belief, one way or the
other, about speaker break in. I have been arguing whether or not the
harm to consumers is as pervasive as you suggest. I would be very much
interested in that evidence. Because as it stands now the belief or
perception that speaker break in is causing significant injury to
consumers is what I consider to be the *real* Urban Legend in all
this. This is why I am particularly interested in the evidence that
you have to support the "strong economic and merchandising element"
connection that you have made with speaker break in beliefs.

Is it really widespread that manufacturers have *successfully* induced
consumers to buy speakers that they don't otherwise like because they
believe that speaker will become palatable after break in? How much
does the belief in speaker break in factor in the purchase decision?
Have there been any consumer surveys done that support your
contentions that consumers are being injured in any meaningful way?
These are not rhetorical questions.

The phenomenon is finite, lasting only a few hours or days.
I have yet to personally know a victim; that is, anyone who has lost
money or were stuck with speakers they did not like because they were
misled into believeing they would love them after the return policy
had expired but before the break-in was complete.

OK; so you report that nobody has complained to you. So? I can't recall anybody
I know who has complained about a Bose product. I've heard no complaints about
XM radio. No complaints from ordinary citizens about MP3. No complaints about
Dolby Digital. No complaints about HTIB systems.

No across the board. But I don't understand what you are asking here.
Are consumers being induced to purchase these products under false
pretenses such as you are contending that speaker manufacturers do
their customers under the auspices of speaker break in?

On the contrary I
and audiophiles that I know ensure that the return policy provides
ample time for a home trial to undo a mistake. It's not that
difficult!

You are suggesting this is even so when the return policy period makes it
practically impossible to fully break-in a speaker within the specified
break-in period.

I'm questioning whether or not speaker break in propaganda has the
prevailing influence on speaker purchase decisions as you contend. I
believe that "Truth in Advertising" regulations are a good thing. But
if there was some rule prohibiting any reference to speaker break in
(assuming, of course that it was proven to be a fallacy) what effect
would it have? I can't see how it would have any effect on me, anyone
that I know directly or indirectly, or certainly on very few that
recall have written about speaker break in the various audio forums,
mags, etc. People tend to buy speakers that they like and speaker
breakin, if they factor that in, is simply icing on the cake. True,
many people do end up being dissatisfied with their speaker purchases
(like many other purchases in life) and they offer many reasons why.
But I just don't recall people saying they didn't ultimately like a
speaker because "break in" fell short of expectations or that they
were misled by the dealer about speaker breakin.

[...]

Y2K predictions of worldwide computer failures and speaker breakin;
two non- issues of the millennium.

Robert C. Lang

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...

(Nousaine) wrote in message

As I've said before I have personally investigated the phenomenon. "Break-in"
is an urban legend.

Have you or anyone produced a research paper that argues to prove or
disprove speaker break-in that has been accepted by The Journal of the
Audio Engineering Society? If so, please direct me to it. I realize
that such a paper would not be deemed as proof, but that would give it
credibility.

As has been pointed out many times, proper peer-reviewed scientific
journals (of which the JAES is one) do not waste time in publishing
articles referring to the bleedin' obvious. In the loudspeaker
industry itself, there is *no* suggestion that a 'break-in' mechanism
actually exists. BTW, that's also the reason why you won't find any
comparative tests of 'cables sound' in the JAES.

Fair enough and *very* understandable. I would also add another reason
(actually sub reason) that would seem to be in line with the criteria
as established by the JAES for topics it publishes research. That is,
"loudspeaker break in" is a big do all about nothing. It's a debate
that may have ancillary issues that are good to know about but
"speaker break in" per say, whether it exists are not, has little
intrinsic value or impact to anyone. No body really benefits or is
really injured from the phenomena. It's innocuous.

But I don't know the criteria that the JAES establishes for topics
that it willing to publish. (I have seen some seemingly low value
almost comical articles published in other scientific journals)
Perhaps consumer interest or protection is not a criteria because the
issue of cables does have a direct and very real impact on audio
consumers. And if *quality* scientific research has been done and if
that research points to differences (or no differences)in "cable
sound" as being bogus then perhaps the JAES support would be valuable.
But I do not know the boundaries of the "mission" of the JAES. It is
completely understandable if consumer advocacy or protection is not
within its mission.

Mind you the reason I asked if research relative to "speaker breakin"
had been accepted by the JAES for publication was because someone in
this thread had invoked its name. (Looking back it was Nousaine who
had mentioned JAES in this thread). Also, Nousaine, has said that he
has done experiments and research in the area of speaker break in.
(Frankly, I was surprised at this because I think its a non issue).
So, I was wondering if the results of his research or the research of
others had been published by JAES.

Robert C. Lang
Ban

Wessel Dirksen wrote:

I'll leave break in of crossover components to those who know better
but that idea intuitively seems quite rediculous to me. As far as
break in program material goes, I'm with Dersu on this one, listen and
enjoy. Music in the emotional lines of celebration would probably work
best. If your new loudspeakers should require break-in, who cares,
they'll do it all by themselves so let them perform for you while
doing so.

If you should want to break an individual driver's cherry prior to the
design process to be sure, high pass filtered pink noise for tweeters
and for woofers / cone drivers +/- 1.5x Fs sinewave rumbling at 2/3
Xmax work well.

I did use very low frequency(10Hz) sine waves at almost max. excursion of
the woofer to test if my cabinets are really airtight.
The reason for the low frequency is that the excursion is really strong
without pumping too much power into the driver. Any faults, like a
scratching voicecoil, a weak surround that flips over inside or debris in
the airgap can be spotted immediately, so this test is really useful. I do
not call this burn-in.
The whole term is misleading, as it comes from semiconductor testing for
space/aviation applications. Those parts are stressed at max.
temperature/power ratings to insure the functionality and detect early
failures. Certain kind of failures appear in the first hours of use and you
really do not want them to show up after the mission has just started, so
JANTX-specs have procedures to detect these and every single part has to
undergo this burn-in. This wouldn't apply to loudspeakers at all, since we
are not on a critical mission.
Usually it is also not of disadvantage to do this, unless you damage the
speaker, either by exceeding the max. excursion or power, which is likely to
occurr if you are not absolutely sure about what you are doing. So my advise
would be: forget about this, if you already have to ask.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Nousaine

(Robert C. Lang) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message
On 1 Oct 2004 22:59:29 GMT,
(Robert C. Lang)

(Nousaine) wrote in message

[...]

No, of course not. As Stewart points out there is no reason to submit a paper
on a subject that has no engineering meaning.

I tested break-in because I was personally interested in the phenomenon from my
perspective as an amateur speaker builder and in my capacity as an evaluator of
loudspeaker products for consumer magazines.

In specific I undertook experiments of aftermarket autosound speakers where the
manufacturer specifically required that I break-in their products for extended
periods before performing an evaluation. (24,48 and 150 hours) It was only
natural to acquire multiple samples so I could break-in some of them while
retaining 'fresh' samples for comparison. The results of these experiments have
been published in Car Stereo Review.

Then a year ago I was asked to evaluate a product for The Audio Critic where
the manufacturer said specifically that the product improve its sound over a
time period where it was a practical impossibility to complete break-in in the
normal return period for a dealer. I used this product for several weeks and
its sound changed not one bit.

Do I have proof that customers have been harmed by recommendations of extensive
and unnecessary break-in periods? Of course not.

But is it 'wrong' to provide replicable facts about this topic? Would you
prefer that it not be described as an Urban Legend because that would make
believers feel better?

What is truly "missing" from the literature is a paper that describes the
break-in mechanisms of loudspeakers and provides replicable experimental
results documenting the same. As with many myths believers will ask for 'proof'
that the myth is wrong but they never seem to provide replicable evidence that
shows it's, in fact, true.

In any event I'm guessing that everybody, including me, is tired of discussing
this topic.

Nousaine

(Robert C. Lang) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote in message

....snip....

Actually, evidence is important which is why I specifically asked in
another post about research results that may have been accepted by the
Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. But of course you may have
picked up that I have not been arguing any belief, one way or the
other, about speaker break in. I have been arguing whether or not the
harm to consumers is as pervasive as you suggest. I would be very much
interested in that evidence. Because as it stands now the belief or
perception that speaker break in is causing significant injury to
consumers is what I consider to be the *real* Urban Legend in all
this. This is why I am particularly interested in the evidence that
you have to support the "strong economic and merchandising element"
connection that you have made with speaker break in beliefs.

I've made no comment regarding whether any individual has ever been compromised
by break-in recommendations. I've only pointed out that speaker break-in is a
non-extant phenomenon and that the break-in periods recommended by some
manufacturers seem unduly lengthy, are not based on any known evidence and
appear to be more devised to discourage returns than anything else.

Is it really widespread that manufacturers have *successfully* induced
consumers to buy speakers that they don't otherwise like because they
believe that speaker will become palatable after break in? How much
does the belief in speaker break in factor in the purchase decision?
Have there been any consumer surveys done that support your
contentions that consumers are being injured in any meaningful way?

I've never said that anybody has been specifically injured but only that the
break-in phenomenon is not tied to any known evidence and thus appears to have
a bigger impact on merchandising than anything else.

I'm also suggestign that the notion of speaker break-in seems to have a fairly
significant popularity among enthusiasts.

Instead off worrying about whether this is a problem for customers I'm just
suggestng that its a good idea to poitn out that, like cable sound, break-in is
a myth and not based on any known evidence.

These are not rhetorical questions.

The phenomenon is finite, lasting only a few hours or days.

And you base this on exactly what evidence other than the idea that some people
think its true?

I have yet to personally know a victim; that is, anyone who has lost
money or were stuck with speakers they did not like because they were
misled into believeing they would love them after the return policy
had expired but before the break-in was complete.

Sure; I'd agree that such policies are a good weapon against buyer's remorse.

OK; so you report that nobody has complained to you. So? I can't recall

anybody
I know who has complained about a Bose product. I've heard no complaints

about
XM radio. No complaints from ordinary citizens about MP3. No complaints

about
Dolby Digital. No complaints about HTIB systems.

No across the board. But I don't understand what you are asking here.
Are consumers being induced to purchase these products under false
pretenses such as you are contending that speaker manufacturers do
their customers under the auspices of speaker break in?

I've never said that break-in was a purchase inducment; it's just insurance
against returns.

[...]

Sigh. I've never claimed that the break-in myth was anything that enthusiasts
should be aware of. It's not a federal case; its like cable-sound people should
be aware of the cicumstance.

On the other hand, speaker cables and interconnects have a much more
profound effect on the consumers pocketbook. I personally know many
audiophiles that have spent untold hundreds and thousands of dollars
on these accessories. Do high priced speaker cables and interconnects
make a difference? That is a far more burning issue for me because if
they don't make a difference thousands of audiophiles may have been
victimized.

Robert C. Lang

P.S.

May be we could conduct a poll, unscientific though it may be, on who
(and *how*)in this group has been victimized because of speaker break
in beliefs. I really would like to know.

How about a more interesting one. How many people believe that speakers
'break-in' and how long does it take?

I'd agree with you sentiments on cabling. There are far more 'victims' in

the
sense that cables and other acessories were specifically intended to grab
dollars out of the pockets of guys who want to hang out at stereo stores

when
they weren't in the market for a new amplifier.

Y2K predictions of worldwide computer failures and speaker breakin;
two non- issues of the millennium.

We have evidence that both of these phenomena are Myths.
Robert C. Lang

I really appreciate and applaud you for taking the time to respond to
*entire* posts and not doing what so many do which is to cherry pick
and take comments out of context. You shoot straight and I have found
your comments to be insightful and informative. Thank you.

Robert C. Lang

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...
(Robert C. Lang) wrote:
(Nousaine) wrote in message

...snip....

[...]

watch king

I know that many audiophiles believe that speakers need a period of
break- in to sound their best, while others disagree.

This post is a request for those who believe in speaker break-in to
provide advice, and it is also request that those who disagree allow
those of us they believe to be mistaken to continue in the error of
our ways without comment.

Dear Wylie, I have worked at 3 loudspeaker companies and/or divisions
and been one of the loudspeaker system development engineers for WED
Enterprises for EPCOT, Tokyo Disneyland and Euro Disneyland. In many
cases loudspeaker break-in is useful. In a few cases loudspeaker
performance is all downhill from the first moment it is used. Some of
the more esoteric designs like electrostatic, thin-film, Heil AMT
loudspeakers or metal diaphragm tweeters or compression drivers,
benefit only marginally from a very moderate break-in period and then
it's into equilibrium and finally downhill performance for them.
While the surround on a loudspeaker can benefit from a break-in
period if it is cloth or paper coated with aeroflex, rubber
surrounds, polypropelene and foam surrounds don't change much so a
very short break-in is all that is needed. But the fabric spiders on
most loudspeakers definitely benefit from a longer break-in period.
Phenolic resin cone/surround/spider systems also benefit from a
substantial break-in period. Bextrene cones can also benefit from a
short break-in period.

What most designers I know define as "benefit" equates to the
loudspeaker having a certain characteristic performance that is then
repeatable for a long period of time (usually measured in years).
That's why most designers I know don't want to show-off their latest
designs until they have beaten on that design for quite a while and
they are sure it will sound "the same" for a long period of time so
others can audition it. Untreated paper cones and cloth or fiber
spiders are the two most variable parts of a loudspeaker design.
Those two parts can change quite dramatically over a period of 3 days
to about 1 month with heavy use.

Most speaker designers I know also like a speaker to be "broken-in"
with the kind of program material that will most likely be played
through it. But short of a narrow niche market product, most prefer
pink noise or swept sine waves or mixed random clock frequencies
(best case) as the program material to be used for the break-in.
While some loudspeaker designers suggest loud volume break-ins, so
they can avoid worst case scenarios most designers think medium
levels (90-94 db @1m) do the best job of breaking in loudspeaker
spiders and untreated paper cones. Too much "break-in" using very
loud levels can put a loudspeaker on the road to extinction pretty
quickly. Moderate levels are less likely to ever do that. But it is
the lowest frequencies that a driver will produce that break it in
the fastest. All the test signal sources I mentioned about cover
those ranges very well.

Using musical program for break-in can take a period in excess of a
month if the program is not wideband or loud enough. On the Cerwin
Vega assembly line woofers were routinely run for 20 minutes at 20
hertz with 20 watts of continuous energy in order to "help" them
reach equilibrium. At ESS and Marantz there was no break in done at
the factory. At Desktop and Disney systems were often run after
complete assembly with 20 watts of pink noise for 20 minutes before
the public ever heard them because they set-up protocols dictated
that. So this means that sometimes people who make decisions about a
new speaker may not have heard that item at its best yet. Sometimes
it's better to audition a 2 year old pair of somethings from the
dealers' showroom rather than a new pair of somethings out of the box
when doing an in-home test. Do-it-yourselfers should always
precondition component speakers before trying to build a system of
their own. And that's also why some of the results from the "ESS Wins
on Campus" tests varied slightly as the speakers became more
broken-in and consistent in their performance at each new college.
And finally, when a speaker is repaired under warranty by the
replacement of one single speaker component (out of perhaps 6 or 8),
the "new" speaker may sound very strange indeed until it too has been
able to break-in.

A few speaker companies may "burn-in" their finished speaker systems
the way amplifier companies routinely do, but not too many just due
to the space constraints. Cerwin Vega and Disney had airplane hangar
sized facilities to use and so a little burn-in space could always be
found. Desktop had a tiny speaker and so a burn-in room didn't take
much space, but companies like B&W or JBL would need a very
significant amount of space to use for just burning in speakers if
they chose to do that. It might be a good idea because when a dealer
takes a new speaker out of the box to demo to a customer, they may or
may not make a sale based on sound that might change in the next
month. Broken-in speakers would be better to sell assuming they
sounded good. Failures in the field would go down too because early
speaker failures would be caught during break-in. But it would make
broken-in speakers much more expensive and that might reduce their
competitiveness so it's a trade off. UNLESS, all buyers have long
auditions periods they use to determine which speaker to buy, and
then all speaker buyers are willing to break a speaker system "in"
for the required time. Life's a series of trade-offs and this is just
an good example of how it works. TTG

we don't get enough sand in our glass

Pooh Bear

Wylie Williams wrote:

I know that many audiophiles believe that speakers need a period of break-in
to sound their best, while others disagree.

This post is a request for those who believe in speaker break-in to provide
advice, and it is also request that those who disagree allow those of us
they believe to be mistaken to continue in the error of our ways without
comment.

Many pro-audio loudspeaker maufacturers *state* that the Thiele Small parameters
they quote are measured after a pre-conditioning period.

E.g.

http://www.precisiondevices.co.uk/as...s/super/10.pdf

read note 3 at the bottom of the data sheet.

Graham

Nousaine

"watch king" wrote:

I know that many audiophiles believe that speakers need a period of
break- in to sound their best, while others disagree.

This post is a request for those who believe in speaker break-in to
provide advice, and it is also request that those who disagree allow
those of us they believe to be mistaken to continue in the error of
our ways without comment.

Why should that be a condition? Believers of any sort of audio mythology would
aslo like to be given all sort of psychological room but many of them have no
reservation about complaining about actual experiments about cables,
amplifiers, bits OR break-in which challenge previously held beliefs.

Dear Wylie, I have worked at 3 loudspeaker companies and/or divisions
and been one of the loudspeaker system development engineers for WED
Enterprises for EPCOT, Tokyo Disneyland and Euro Disneyland.

What is your time profile?

In many
cases loudspeaker break-in is useful. In a few cases loudspeaker
performance is all downhill from the first moment it is used. Some of
the more esoteric designs like electrostatic, thin-film, Heil AMT
loudspeakers or metal diaphragm tweeters or compression drivers,
benefit only marginally from a very moderate break-in period and then
it's into equilibrium and finally downhill performance for them.

While the surround on a loudspeaker can benefit from a break-in
period if it is cloth or paper coated with aeroflex, rubber
surrounds, polypropelene and foam surrounds don't change much so a
very short break-in is all that is needed.

I've annually test dozens of consumer loudspeakers every year for the past
decade and I ca'nt remember the last time I saw a cloth or paper surround on a
consumer level loudspeaker.

But the fabric spiders on
most loudspeakers definitely benefit from a longer break-in period.
Phenolic resin cone/surround/spider systems also benefit from a
substantial break-in period.

I know a driver designer who told me that spiders (basically, in his terms, a
blend of cloth and goop) do have a break-in period that extends as long as the
QC at the end of the production line for either driver or finished speaker. In
the few cases where QC is not conducted in either case then it appears to last
for the amount of time the speaker needs to be played loudly for the first
time.

Bextrene cones can also benefit from a
short break-in period.

When was the last time you saw a bextrene cone? .

What most designers I know define as "benefit" equates to the
loudspeaker having a certain characteristic performance that is then
repeatable for a long period of time (usually measured in years).
That's why most designers I know don't want to show-off their latest
designs until they have beaten on that design for quite a while and
they are sure it will sound "the same" for a long period of time so
others can audition it.

Well beating-on a design doesn't seem relevant to break-in as far as I can see.
If beating-on a speaker to assure its functioning properly was an issue why
doesn't EVERY manufacturer worth his salt break-in EVERY product before it
leaves the factory?

So you might argue that they ALL break-in exactly the SAME way? Why should that
be so ..... doesn't everything that isn't a fixed quantity have a bell-shaped
performance curve? Why would anyone EXPECT that every product would "break-in"
in exactly the same fashion?

Why would a high-end company let any product out of the factory BEFORE assuring
final performance IF break-in was a real phenomenon?

Untreated paper cones and cloth or fiber
spiders are the two most variable parts of a loudspeaker design.

Untreated paper cones are an antiquity. Cloth or other fiber spiders are a
certainty. So? According to the driver designers I've asked spiders break-in
immediately.

Those two parts can change quite dramatically over a period of 3 days
to about 1 month with heavy use.

And your experimental results can be found where? I've personally conducted 3
experiments on woofer break-in and found that 1) a reduction in Fs of 3-10% can
be measured immediately following a long break-in period (when the voice coil
is still hot) which is matched by an increase in compliance; 2) the 'fresh' and
broken-in T/S values yeild exactly the same optimal enclosure volumes; 3) the
"broken-in" values return to their 'fresh' values after a few hours of rest and
4) sound quality is the same for either a freah or broken-in driver installed
in identical enclosures.

Most speaker designers I know also like a speaker to be "broken-in"
with the kind of program material that will most likely be played
through it. But short of a narrow niche market product, most prefer
pink noise or swept sine waves or mixed random clock frequencies
(best case) as the program material to be used for the break-in.

References please. I know several finished system designers (Paul Barton of PSB
is the most well known; Bill Dudleston of Legacy is anoher of the more well
known) and more that a couple driver designers and not one suggests that
break-in is a real factor in speaker sound.

While some loudspeaker designers suggest loud volume break-ins, so
they can avoid worst case scenarios most designers think medium
levels (90-94 db @1m) do the best job of breaking in loudspeaker
spiders and untreated paper cones.

When was the last time you've encountered an "untreated" paper cone?

Too much "break-in" using very
loud levels can put a loudspeaker on the road to extinction pretty
quickly.

Sure;I'd agree with that. One of the most dangerous recommended techniques is
placing a pair of reverse-polarity speakers face to face and putting signal
into them to 'break them in' to avoid the 'sound' of break-in. With noise
signals this may well be the best method of inducing early speaker failure of
any of the current techniques.

Moderate levels are less likely to ever do that. But it is
the lowest frequencies that a driver will produce that break it in
the fastest. All the test signal sources I mentioned about cover
those ranges very well.

Hmmm; my experiments used a sine wave near the woofer Fs that induced near
maximal stroke (in free air.)

Using musical program for break-in can take a period in excess of a
month if the program is not wideband or loud enough.

Holy cow; so I can't use music for break-in. Can you translate exactly how I
might break-in a speaker where the manufacturer specified 100 hours of break-in
with music using a different source?

On the Cerwin
Vega assembly line woofers were routinely run for 20 minutes at 20
hertz with 20 watts of continuous energy in order to "help" them
reach equilibrium.

In what year? 20 minutes/20 Hz/20 watts doesn't seem close to 100 hours
specified by Thiel for the CS1.6 I tested. Also 20 watts (seems minimal.) So
what was the break-in period for finished speakers? Or didn't the tweeters
'need' break-in?

At ESS and Marantz there was no break in done at
the factory.

Which is exactly what I've seen at the loudpeaker companies I've visited and
the engineers I've asked about the topic with.

At Desktop and Disney systems were often run after
complete assembly with 20 watts of pink noise for 20 minutes before
the public ever heard them because they set-up protocols dictated
that.

Meaning you were testing for crib-death? How was the 20-minutes determined? Are
you suggesting that 20-minutes is a suitable break-in period? How was 20-watts
determined? Pretty hard to break-in tweeter with 20-minutes of full band pink
noise without toasting most of them isn't it?

So this means that sometimes people who make decisions about a
new speaker may not have heard that item at its best yet.

20-minutes out-of-the-box should get you in business shouldn't it; even in
extreme cases.?

Sometimes
it's better to audition a 2 year old pair of somethings from the
dealers' showroom rather than a new pair of somethings out of the box
when doing an in-home test.

As far as it goes you seem to be extrapolating a recommended 20-minutes to
2-years with no corresponding data.

Do-it-yourselfers should always
precondition component speakers before trying to build a system of
their own.

So exactly how doesa DIY speaker builder manage to "pre-condition" speakers?
Under what conditions?

And that's also why some of the results from the "ESS Wins
on Campus" tests varied slightly as the speakers became more
broken-in and consistent in their performance at each new college.

Would you like to share some data with us that supports that conclusion?
Includng the chronology?

And finally, when a speaker is repaired under warranty by the
replacement of one single speaker component (out of perhaps 6 or 8),
the "new" speaker may sound very strange indeed until it too has been
able to break-in.

Do you mean that in the 70s manufacturers had less ability to make the same
speaker 2 times in a row? And that listener aclimitization may take time as
well ..... especially if the speaker that was replaced may have been "wearing
out."

A few speaker companies may "burn-in" their finished speaker systems
the way amplifier companies routinely do, but not too many just due
to the space constraints.

I don't know of a single speaker manufacturer that breaks-in speakers? And I'm
not aware of any consumer amplifier manufacturers who 'routinely' break-in
products before shipment. Perhaos you can update us on this.

Cerwin Vega and Disney had airplane hangar
sized facilities to use and so a little burn-in space could always be
found.

And 20-minutes/20 watts/pink noise was the break-in period? Doesn't resemble
the 150 hours recomended by at least one well-known manufacturer.

Desktop had a tiny speaker and so a burn-in room didn't take
much space, but companies like B&W or JBL would need a very
significant amount of space to use for just burning in speakers if
they chose to do that. It might be a good idea because when a dealer
takes a new speaker out of the box to demo to a customer, they may or
may not make a sale based on sound that might change in the next
month. Broken-in speakers would be better to sell assuming they
sounded good. Failures in the field would go down too because early
speaker failures would be caught during break-in.

Crib death should be part of QC don't you think?

But it would make
broken-in speakers much more expensive and that might reduce their
competitiveness so it's a trade off. UNLESS, all buyers have long
auditions periods they use to determine which speaker to buy, and
then all speaker buyers are willing to break a speaker system "in"
for the required time. Life's a series of trade-offs and this is just
an good example of how it works. TTG

we don't get enough sand in our glass

I'm of the opinion that the speaker break-in proponents are missing a a key
point here. If it were true that speaker (and any other component) BREAK-IN is
a legitimate concept someone should have produced a replicable experiment
showing that this IS the case.

So far the ONLY experimental evidence shows that break-in is an urban legend.
IMO it's the same thing as the BigFoot phenomenon ..... its easy to believe but
its much harder to produce evidence.
Bob Marcus

"watch king" wrote in message ...

[...]

I presume you're making assertions about changes in measured
characteristics of speakers over time. What measurements do change
during break-in, and how much?

[...]

Are there really clear differences in measurements of speakers,
depending on the signal played through them during their initial use?

[...]

They do? Then why do they tell consumers that we have to burn in their
products?

[...]

Speakers are mechanical, so break-in is at least plausible. But I've
yet to see any real evidence that any physical changes that occur with
initial use (as opposed to long-term decay) are sufficient to cause
audible differences. Given your assertions above, I'd expect you to
have such evidence. Do you?

bob