Posted to rec.audio.tech
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

Default PIONEER RECEIVERS: Which One Do I Keep?

For a few months now, I have been using a vintage Pioneer SX-780
receiver in pristine condition. I have really enjoyed using this
receiver and really like its excellent, warm sound for both analog and
digital sources.

But now fate has smiled upon me and I have just discovered a vintage
Pioneer SX-750, also in pristine condition.

I will keep one of these receivers and sell the other one.

But my question is: Which one should I keep?

I thought I would ask some of you kind people, since it is very
possible that you know some details about these receivers, technical
or otherwise, that I might not know.

I understand that the power amplifier section is slightly different
between the two models. What is the difference? Does the difference
matter, either in sound quality or longevity?

I must admit that I haven't listened extensively to either one of
these receivers, and I certainly haven't made a "head-to-head"
comparison, but I will say that they both look and sound fantastic.

Which one would you keep and why?

Many thanks in advance......................
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message
For a few months now, I have been using a vintage Pioneer SX-780
receiver in pristine condition. I have really enjoyed using this
receiver and really like its excellent, warm sound for both analog and
digital sources.

But now fate has smiled upon me and I have just discovered a vintage
Pioneer SX-750, also in pristine condition.

I will keep one of these receivers and sell the other one.

But my question is: Which one should I keep?

**Neither. A a lot of people are paying ridiculous prices for these old
clunkers. Sell them both and buy a modern amp.

I thought I would ask some of you kind people, since it is very
possible that you know some details about these receivers, technical
or otherwise, that I might not know.

I understand that the power amplifier section is slightly different
between the two models. What is the difference? Does the difference
matter, either in sound quality or longevity?

**Nothing of consequence. Both will require replacement of most (all)
electrolytica caps. Any OP amps used will be extremely primitive and
topology will not be anything great.

I must admit that I haven't listened extensively to either one of
these receivers, and I certainly haven't made a "head-to-head"
comparison, but I will say that they both look and sound fantastic.

Which one would you keep and why?

**Neither.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

We've had this discussion before - but there is no reason that most vintage
solid-state equipment cannot run and sound fine almost indefinitely,
provided mechanical controls and switches etc are clean and functioning
properly, and there could be maintenance issues such as needing to resolder
regulators (these Pioneer models were famous for this). The tuner sections
were better than most modern models, and the audio performance is generally
fine. They wouldn't beat a top-of-the-line modern separate power amp, but
that's an apples vs. oranges comparison.

In the specific case of the SX-750 or SX-780, there is little to choose
between them. The 780 was simply the next model year that's all. They both
use STK0050 output devices, and personally I favor discrete output
transistors. The 0050's were so common however, one should still be able to
get one should you need it.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I have to say that you seem
to be too biased against "old stuff" to really be able to give me a
thoughtful answer. I'm not trying to insult you, but it does seem to
me that you are one of those who thinks that "old = bad" and "new =
good".

You said it yourself - people are paying big bucks for vintage gear
like this. You have to ask yourself: WHY are they doing it? If there
is one area where people are very picky about getting what they paid
for, it is in the area of home audio. If there wasn't such a demand
for certain pieces of vintage gear, the prices wouldn't be as high as
they are. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR more often than not!

I suggest you try to see past your obvious bias against "old stuff"
and listen--REALLY listen--to a wide variety of "old" gear. You might
be very surprised at what you hear.

NEWER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. For proof of that, just listen to an
iPod. UGH.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

Mark Z.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the stk's are still around in all sorts of wattages. I still
have a technics amp with a couple of them and it sounds decent. I had
to replace one of it's regulator transistors last year. Nothing
memorable about any of the vintage amps with the stk's though. Other
than optional protection circuitry the output stages are pretty much
identical.

Now a 1250 or 1280 and you're talking serious vintage.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

**Neither. A a lot of people are paying ridiculous prices for these old
clunkers. Sell them both and buy a modern amp.

**Nothing of consequence. Both will require replacement of most (all)
electrolytica caps. Any OP amps used will be extremely primitive and
topology will not be anything great.

I would respectfully disagree with this opinion. People buy choose to keep
electronic equipment for various reasons. Personally I choose vintage for:

1. Price - the system in my livingroom new would have cost perhaps $3,500.
I paid about 15% of that.
2. Repairability - "vintage" stuff mainly uses discrete components, so
often my repairs (self repaired, zero labor) run in the $30 range. I'd
rather be able to replace a $0.20 resistor than a multilayer SMT $240
"preamp board".
3. Sound - with the exception of home theatre and mutli-channel,
multi-speaker sound effects, the reproduction of sound in the 20-20KHz range
with flat response and low distortion has not changed since the mid to late
70's. There are plenty of solid state transistor-based amplifiers built in
the late 70's and early 80's which great sound, by ANYONE's measure. Amp
designs, feedback levels, etc. etc. have been understood and properly
implemented since that time, although I'll grant you there were some
unstable, crappy-sounding equipment put out at the dawn of the solid state
age but... that was the learning curve period for the industry.
4. Build quality - many amplifiers by such names as Kenwood, Sansui, Harmon
Kardon, Marantz, Luxman, Pioneer and others were very very well built using
quality overspec'ed components. Whereas nowadays manufacturers will slap a
10,000uF cap in the power supply for an instantaneous power delivery of 200W
and put "200W amp" on the box, the older stuff is/was consistently
UNDERrated for power delivery. I worked on an HK receiver a few weeks ago
rated at 40wpc with 70w continuous rated output devices. Power transformers
were bigger and better. Tuners were more sensitive and more selective.
It's a testament to the build quality that so many of these units are still
being enjoyed today.
5. Where is the money spent - personally I am not into home theatre. I
don't care if I have a remote control. I don't care if my tuner doesn't
have 200 preset stations. I don't care if my amp has 60 different "effects"
as I'll likely never want to listen to my music *******ized to sound like
it's being played in a cathedral. So... why would I want to pay for these
useless (to me) features? I'd rather that money spent to build the amp went
into a good design, proper layout of components, quality components and
proper assembly techniques.
6. The Nostalgia Factor - okay, I'm old. Old enough to remember building
an HH Scott tube amp and tuner from kits with my Dad. Old enough to fondly
remember my old Kenwood receiver and Dual turntable from college. I'd say
there was a value to that which may contribute to the prices you see for
vintage stuff on eBay. But... it's a peripheral cost, not a major factor.
You won't see an SX-730 in the stratosphere of pricing because it wasn't the
best of it's time. But an SX-1250 or a DB-9090, the TRUE 200W RMS beasts of
the day, will often sell for a few hundred more than they cost new becuase
they are quality units.

Perhaps I'm missing something, I'd certainly be open to any discussion as to
how "modern" designs/topologies/components have improved sound quality vs.
"vintage", but for now you can have your modern stuff...

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.tech
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

Dave:

BRAVO.

I could not possibly have said it any better.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one to "hear the light", so to
speak.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message

Dave:

BRAVO.

I could not possibly have said it any better.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one to "hear the light", so to
speak.

Be that as it may those pioneers really do not have any features that would
make them any better than newer recievers. Those both were models for the
masses.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"James" wrote in message
"EADGBE" wrote in message

Dave:

BRAVO.

I could not possibly have said it any better.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one to "hear the light", so to
speak.

Be that as it may those pioneers really do not have any features that
would make them any better than newer recievers. Those both were models
for the masses.

Never indicated that older was better, simply sought to dispel the commonly
held myth that newer is better.

And maybe, just maybe, it's not about "features" but about sound? What kind
of features do you really need in an amplifier? I could spend $24,000+ on a
pair of Mark Levinson monoblock amplifiers. You know what "feature" sells
them? The sound. No knobs, no effects, no digital signal processor,
surround sound, subwoofer output, HDMI interface. No. Analog input.
Speaker output. Good sound. Hardly for everyone, but I just want to
illustrate that there is a portion of the population whose #1 requirement
isn't a system which necessarily fully integrates all audio and video
functions into a single connected system with a single remote control. I
believe this is what you mean when you talk about "features"... I may be
wrong.

I don't think anybody would buy a 70's or 80's receiver like the Pioneer
we've been talking about as the cornerstone of their home theatre setup.
But if your requirements are good clean two-channel sound and good build
quality (and REALLY cheap price) then these units fit the bill perfectly.

Again, not that the masses are ready to be sold on the environmental impact,
but I feel good about spending a (very) few bucks repairing something which
is perfectly good and does what I want as opposed to buying into the modern
paradigm which says it's cheaper to replace than repair. Go to your local
landfill and have a look at the gargantuan pile of electronic equipment
awaiting destruction.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On May 8, 10:49*am, "Dave" wrote:
"James" wrote in message

"EADGBE" wrote in message

[...]

awaiting destruction.- Hide quoted text -

I was not meaning 'wiz-bang' features either. Just basics. Nothing
wrong with those receivers. If you have one and it still does what
you need that's fine. But I did mean to say that they are not any
better than a basic, under $200 stereo receiver made today. Pioneer,
marantz, and others did make some top of the line discrete gear that
is more sought after as well as having some pretty good specs. But
it's not the 750/780s. And it's not anything with the stks in it.
Those were the beginning of conformity in low/mid range stereos.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On May 8, 11:24*am, wrote:
On May 8, 10:49*am, "Dave" wrote:

"James" wrote in message

"EADGBE" wrote in message

[...]

Those were the beginning of conformity in low/mid range stereos.- Hide quoted text -

And I don't need any amplifier to "contribute" to the sound. Just
reproduce the signal. I think most would agree that the speakers are
the biggest factor in sound anyway. Amplifiers don't add "warmth" or
"color" to the music. If they do then something is wrong with them.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

wrote in message

I was not meaning 'wiz-bang' features either. Just basics. Nothing
wrong with those receivers. If you have one and it still does what
you need that's fine. But I did mean to say that they are not any
better than a basic, under $200 stereo receiver made today. Pioneer,
marantz, and others did make some top of the line discrete gear that
is more sought after as well as having some pretty good specs. But
it's not the 750/780s. And it's not anything with the stks in it.
Those were the beginning of conformity in low/mid range stereos.- Hide
quoted text -

And I don't need any amplifier to "contribute" to the sound. Just
reproduce the signal. I think most would agree that the speakers are
the biggest factor in sound anyway. Amplifiers don't add "warmth" or
"color" to the music. If they do then something is wrong with them.

Absolutely agree on all counts as far as sound quality goes. Any solid
state amp over about $80 will sound decent, low distortion, no sound
"coloration". Lots of people post asking about which amp they should buy to
improve the sound of their system and my advice is always speakers speakers
speakers.

I never said that older is better in terms of sound... I simply sought to
take issue with the poster who implied that modern "topologies" produced
sound differing in any way from sound out of a 1978 Pioneer. They don't.

As far as "warmth" goes, people with tube amps seem to like that particular
type of distortion and often complain about amps which sound "sterile". Me,
I don't have speakers (or perhaps ears?) good enough to notice the
difference for the most part.

I am not a fan of STK-based amps either, they went into low-fi stuff.

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
On May 8, 11:24 am, wrote:
On May 8, 10:49 am, "Dave" wrote:

"James" wrote in message

"EADGBE" wrote in message

[...]

Indeed, and any amplifier that performs to modern standards will sound
indistinguishable from any other provided that the load is within design
parameters. Which brings me to the question as to why a Mark Levinson pair
at $24K would be any better than, say, a Behringer at a few hundred $. I can
accept that the ML looks more impressive, it could well be "better made"
which means it will last longer, and has the cache of being expensive and
therefore exclusive. However, will it sound any better? I would expect not.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article GnFUj.1119$Yp.752@edtnps92, "Dave" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

There was plenty of equipment that used them.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

. ..

"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

**Nonsense. Electros wear out. Switches and pots, ditto.

provided mechanical controls and switches etc are clean and functioning
properly, and there could be maintenance issues such as needing to
resolder regulators (these Pioneer models were famous for this). The tuner
sections were better than most modern models,

**Nonsense. I recently acquired a 5 year old Denon tuner. The sound quality
is nothing short of astonishing. FAR better than my beloved Yamaha T7. It is
even better than the highly regarded Yamaha T2. Even better, the tuner does
not drift. Old Pioneers will often do so.

and the audio performance is generally
fine.

**ASUMING the switches, pots and electros have been replaced - yes. Also,
assuming you are only using 8 Ohm speakers. Those old Pioneers were hopeless
at driving anything other than a resistive 8 Ohm load.

They wouldn't beat a top-of-the-line modern separate power amp, but
that's an apples vs. oranges comparison.

**Agreed.

In the specific case of the SX-750 or SX-780, there is little to choose
between them. The 780 was simply the next model year that's all. They both
use STK0050 output devices, and personally I favor discrete output
transistors. The 0050's were so common however, one should still be able
to get one should you need it.

**Yep. They're both over-rated and over-priced. Sell them and buy something
decent.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Major Jocelyn Major Jocelyn is offline

a écrit :
wrote:
: But I did mean to say that they are not any better than a basic,
: under $200 stereo receiver made today.

But wouldn't it sound better than something he could likely get
for free today?

I cannot agree with JamesGangNC. Those 2 receiver WILL be better than
any basic under $200 stereo receiver made today.
Why? 1- Power Supply. Today receiver use very low current PS compare
with pre-1985 stéreo equipment. Can you explain how can a
receiver like the Pioneer VSX-518-K that give you "120w X 5 channel"
but consume only 280watts while the SX-780 give you
45W X 2 and consume 150Watts.
2- Power Rating. Today receiver are almost always rated at
100w/channel with no indication about from what HZ to what KHz
at at what % of THD. Pre-1985 receivers always tell the TRUE
wattage.
3- THD- Today basic receivers are rated at between 0.2% and
0.9% THD with no indication about at what power while pre-1985
receivers where almost all below 0.07% AT FULL POWER.
4- IM Distortion. On today receivers Specs, you will find no
mention of the IM Distortion.
5- DURABILITY- In 10 years you will still listen to the
SX-750 or SX-790 while your brand new receiver would have died
after 4-5 years of regular use.

I have compare a Pioneer a Pioneer SX-A6-J that sell at 800$ with my
Luxman L-550. A neigbour have bought this "high-end" receiver after he
saw praise in a Hi-Fi magazine. He knew that I have a good system so
after a few days of listening to his Pioneer he askes if he could bring
it at my place to listen with it in my audio room. I connected my speaer
to it. He then listen to it and wanted to compare with the Luxman. I
adjust the loudness of the Luxman to the same level with test tone and a
Sound Level Meter.The result? He sent back his Pioneer and he bought a
Luxman L-430. You know why? The quality of the sound. With the Luxman
you get Depth, Purity, precise Imaging amd Dynamics everithing that was
missing with the Pioneer. Oh by the way he got the Luxman L-430 for less
than 120$ with shipping. So he save around 680% and he end up with a
much better amp. By the way try to find spec about the Pioneer SX-A6-J.
The only thing the mentionned is 60WX2 that's all. Where is the % of THD
? This power is between 20hz and 20Khz or is it at 1000hz? Is it at
0.005% THD like the Luxman or at 0.9% THD? Is the rated power at 8 Ohms
or 4 Ohms? The Luxman L-550 give 50W X2 at 8 Ohms and 110W X2 at 4 Ohms.
The Luxman net weight is 40lbs, while the Pioneer SX-A6-J "Shipping"
weight is 27Lbs. The Luxman consume 310 watts and If I remember
correctly the SX-A6-J only 160 watts. How come? this is 2008 stuff it is
supposed to be "Better". So EADGBE Keep any of the 2 they will outlast
any today's basic crap that retail for 500$ (and less) and it will be
Better WAY Better.

Jocelyn
Proud Son of Leo Major, DCM & Bar
To know why I am proud go the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Major

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"EADGBE" wrote in message

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I have to say that you seem
to be too biased against "old stuff" to really be able to give me a
thoughtful answer.

**Incorrect. I am merely providing a thoughtful, concise answer. I am
intimately familiar with old equipment.

I'm not trying to insult you, but it does seem to
me that you are one of those who thinks that "old = bad" and "new =
good".

**Nonsense. I am one of those who thinks that old, crappy = bad. Old, good =
good.. New, crappy = bad. New, good = good.

You said it yourself - people are paying big bucks for vintage gear
like this. You have to ask yourself: WHY are they doing it?

**They're deluded.

If there
is one area where people are very picky about getting what they paid
for, it is in the area of home audio. If there wasn't such a demand
for certain pieces of vintage gear, the prices wouldn't be as high as
they are. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR more often than not!

**Nope. More often that not, you get crap, at high prices.

I suggest you try to see past your obvious bias against "old stuff"
and listen--REALLY listen--to a wide variety of "old" gear. You might
be very surprised at what you hear.

**In my business, I get to listen to old equipment very regularly. Make no
mistake: A great deal of new equipment is crap. No doubt about it. However,
there are a raft of old models which were and still are crap.

NEWER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. For proof of that, just listen to an
iPod. UGH.

**And old is not always better.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

"Major Jocelyn" wrote in message
a écrit :
wrote:
[...]

You need to learn more about the stk based amps. And I was not comparing it
to low end surround sound systems. Many of which use switching power
supplies and class d amps.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Trevor Wilson a écrit :
"EADGBE" wrote in message
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I have to say that you seem
to be too biased against "old stuff" to really be able to give me a
thoughtful answer.

**Incorrect. I am merely providing a thoughtful, concise answer. I am
intimately familiar with old equipment.

I'm not trying to insult you, but it does seem to
me that you are one of those who thinks that "old = bad" and "new =
good".

**Nonsense. I am one of those who thinks that old, crappy = bad. Old, good =
good.. New, crappy = bad. New, good = good.

You said it yourself - people are paying big bucks for vintage gear
like this. You have to ask yourself: WHY are they doing it?

**They're deluded.

Totally Wrong! You can get awesome piece of vintage equipment for the
price you will pay for new crappy stuff.

If there
is one area where people are very picky about getting what they paid
for, it is in the area of home audio. If there wasn't such a demand
for certain pieces of vintage gear, the prices wouldn't be as high as
they are. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR more often than not!

**Nope. More often that not, you get crap, at high prices.

I see that you really but really don't know what you are talking about.

I suggest you try to see past your obvious bias against "old stuff"
and listen--REALLY listen--to a wide variety of "old" gear. You might
be very surprised at what you hear.

Totally Agree!

**In my business, I get to listen to old equipment very regularly. Make no
mistake: A great deal of new equipment is crap. No doubt about it. However,
there are a raft of old models which were and still are crap.

NEWER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. For proof of that, just listen to an
iPod. UGH.

**And old is not always better.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech

a écrit :
wrote:
[...]

Yes but for the price of one of those low end surround receiver you can
get a great pre-1985 amp that will have a real power supply with real
spec. Would you say that the Pioneer SX-A6-J is a "low" end at a retail
of 800$? At that price I can get an incredible piece of Vintage
Amp/Preamp/(Cd Player or Turntable).

Jocelyn
Proud Son of Leo Major, DCM & Bar
To know why I am proud go the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Major
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Trevor Wilson a écrit :
"EADGBE" wrote in message
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I have to say that you seem
to be too biased against "old stuff" to really be able to give me a
thoughtful answer.

**Incorrect. I am merely providing a thoughtful, concise answer. I am
intimately familiar with old equipment.

I'm not trying to insult you, but it does seem to
me that you are one of those who thinks that "old = bad" and "new =
good".

**Nonsense. I am one of those who thinks that old, crappy = bad. Old,
good = good.. New, crappy = bad. New, good = good.

You said it yourself - people are paying big bucks for vintage gear
like this. You have to ask yourself: WHY are they doing it?

**They're deluded.

Totally Wrong! You can get awesome piece of vintage equipment for the
price you will pay for new crappy stuff.

**Wrong. You MIGHT get a piece of adequately functioning equipment. Or not.
You might end up with a piece of junk wich requires vast sums to be spent,
in order to bring it up to a reasonable level of performance.

If there
is one area where people are very picky about getting what they paid
for, it is in the area of home audio. If there wasn't such a demand
for certain pieces of vintage gear, the prices wouldn't be as high as
they are. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR more often than not!

**Nope. More often that not, you get crap, at high prices.

I see that you really but really don't know what you are talking about.

**Really? Let me outline _my_ experience for you:

* 1974-1979 - Service manager for Marantz Australia.
* 1979 - Now - Service tech for my own business. I've serviced thousands of
different products, including many Pioneers. Unlike you, I KNOW exactly what
is wrong with 1970s vinage equipment.

The old Pioneers are better than some and worse than others, in both design
and construction. In all cases, they cannot come close to modern, PROPERLY
designed equipment, in performance on a Dollar for Dollar basis. Second hand
prices are, of course, difficult to assess. I can tell you, however, that
1970s equipment tends to be over-priced.

Now: Tell me about YOUR experience. How many old Pioneers have you serviced?

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Trevor Wilson a écrit :
"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

I have own several Pioneer receivers and amp (starting with the
SX-626,going to the SX-939 then the SA-9900) followed by Kenwood KA-9100
then Sansui CA-3000 Preamp with Dynaco ST-400 power Amp followed by
Radford SC-242 Preamp and Quad 405 Power Amp and Finally since 1990 the
Luxman L-550. All these component are still working perfectly. I gave
the CA-3000/Dynaco ST-400 to a kid (22 years old is a kid for me) a
couple weeks ago. I admit that I had to replace some capacitor on the
Quad and the Dynaco + cleaning of the other one but as I said they all
work perfectly. As for my Experience, I work as a senior salesmen in a
Hi-Fi chain so I know by the quatity of receivers that stop working
after being in use for less than 2 years that today's stuff do not have
the quality of construction and design that the vintage stuff do.
And unlike you I do not make a living servicing NEw equipment.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

"Major Jocelyn" wrote in message
news
a écrit :

You need to learn more about the stk based amps. And I was not comparing
it to low end surround sound systems. Many of which use switching power
supplies and class d amps.

Yes but for the price of one of those low end surround receiver you can
get a great pre-1985 amp that will have a real power supply with real
spec. Would you say that the Pioneer SX-A6-J is a "low" end at a retail of
800$? At that price I can get an incredible piece of Vintage
Amp/Preamp/(Cd Player or Turntable).

Jocelyn
Proud Son of Leo Major, DCM & Bar
To know why I am proud go the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Major

You're right, you can get some of the high end vintage gear for $800. But
that pioneer sx-a6-j is available all day new for under $500. It is a class
ab amp and the specifications are in the users manual. Would I buy one?
Not likely. It seems a bit over priced. But it is xm radio capable and has
an ir remote. Two things that some people might consider a requirement.
And it is going to be covered by a warranty. Buying older gear is not
without drawbacks. Often the power supply caps need replacing. I'd go so
far as to suggest that if you took 10 random vintage items off ebay you
would find that none of them were performing to the original specifications
in a bench test. A lot of people want to take it out of the box and not
worry about those sorts of things. And some people want surround sound.

As to the power supplies, switching power supplies are not technically
inferior to the old style power supplies. Both can be built to deliver the
appropriate level of power as needed by the equipment. Any piece of modern
equipment with a switching power supply is going to be a whole lot lighter
that the traditional power supply because it does not need that big
transformer. Your computer has one. It's probably rated at 500 watts. It
really can deliver that much power even though it weighs next to nothing.
To get 500 watts via a a 60hz transformer would take a huge transformer that
weighed a ton.

None of which is my original point. What I said was those pioneers and
other old gear using the stk amps were not particularly memorable. The
specs you want to quote have nothing to do with pioneer. Pioneer didn't
make the amps, they took them off the shelf and soldered them in. And those
units are worth about $100 apiece at best on flea-bay. And that is mostly
because they are pioneer, not because their specifications are particularly
better than comparable gear for the same era.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Trevor Wilson a écrit :
"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

**You don't know that. You're guessing. I promise you this: After 30 years,
no amplifier will meet it's published specs, unless you've replaced every
electrolytic cap in the product. Of the specific products you mentioned, I
have a great deal of experience with the Luxman, the Quad, the Dynaco and
the Pioneers. ALL suffer from dried out electros. Amongst other things.

I gave
the CA-3000/Dynaco ST-400 to a kid (22 years old is a kid for me) a couple
weeks ago. I admit that I had to replace some capacitor on the Quad and
the Dynaco + cleaning of the other one but as I said they all work
perfectly. As for my Experience, I work as a senior salesmen in a Hi-Fi
chain so I know by the quatity of receivers that stop working after being
in use for less than 2 years that today's stuff do not have the quality of
construction and design that the vintage stuff do.

**Utter nonsense. You can buy decent quality modern equipment, as well as
crap.

And unlike you I do not make a living servicing NEw equipment.

**I make a living servicing new and old equipment. The old stuff is nothing
special. A lot of the new stuff is nothing special.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

Trevor Wilson a écrit :
"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

I'd agree completely about the over priced comment. The prices of a lot of
used "vintage" equipment is more than they are actually worth. A lot of it
is nostolgia, not technical superiority. But I'd disagree some on the
comparison of design. Class ab amps have not changed designs all that much.
State of the art class ab amps from the 70s in good condition have excellent
specifications and that really has not been improved on much. And those
specifications are well better than any human detectable levels. Power
supply designs have changed but more of that is related to making them more
economical to manufacture and ship rather than technically superior. Much
of the weight in old high end gear is the power transformer and big caps.
No one can afford to ship a 50lb unit in volume any more. Making more
efficient use of power has improved a great deal over the 70s but again that
doesn't result in better sound.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

a écrit :
[...]

You're also right about the Pioneer SX-A6-J, my neighbour pay full price
for this receiver and I found out that now you could even get it for
400$. As for the Power Supply cap need replacing I faced this my Dynaco
St-400 and my Quad 405. It was an easy job replacing the caps on each
amp. I know that for lot of people this is to much trouble. But for me
and several other at the french Vintage Forum
http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/VideoSo...et_67751_1.htm
I also know that some (mainly the High Power gears) Pioneer are
overpriced on Ebay and Audiogone except that you can find other brands
that are simply excellent for a very reasonable price. Also several
piece of vintage equipment that are being sold have been serviced by
technician prior to the sale. Also one reason to buy vintage is
Reliability. Lot of today's stuff come with a 90 days warranty. Why? As
I wrote in a post before, I work as a Senior Salesman in a Hi-Fi Chain
and lot of the receivers stop working properly after less that 2 years
of use. I have seen Pioneer, Sony, JVC receivers that where dead after 6
month. Concerning the Power Supply could you explain why the High End
Amps and Reveivers sold today are still Using High Current Power Supply
instead of switching one? The answer is simple Power reserve.Try
listening to Mussorsky Night on Bald Montain CD with one of today
high-end Reveiver then listen to it again with a receiver that use a
switching PS. Just do the test: Go to any serious HI-FI store with this
CD and ask the salesman if you can listen to it with say an Onkyo,
Denon, Harman/Kardon,Rotel or even a High-End Pioneer and next try it
with a regular Pioneer, JVC, or Sony and you will understand that these
basic receivers will never reproduce this CD without puting tremendous
amount of distortion because to go into clipping or even going in
protect mode. Several of these basic receiver that have a switching PS
are rated at say 100w per channel but with only ONE channle driven. Take
for example the JVC RX-5060X 5 channel surround receiver. It is rated at
100w per channel at 10% (Yes 10%) THD. But the real RMS power is
20w/channel all channel driven and still at 10% distortion. If we reduce
that THD to say 1% the RMS power drop to around 10W/Channel. The Sony
STR-DG520 does a bit better job giving you 20w/channel at 1% THD. The
Pioneer VSX-518-K give us a huge 24W/channel at 1% THD. Sorry but for
the price of one of these basic Receivers I will instead go to a vintage
one that will give me REAL RMS Power like 80W/Channel Both channel
driven at 0.05% THD.

Jocelyn
Proud Son of Leo Major, DCM & Bar
To know why I am proud go the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Major

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

m...

Trevor Wilson a écrit :
"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

**Actually, they've changed quite a bit. Well, perhaps not the power amps.
Tuners, in particular, have improved in leaps and bounds. A bane of my life,
has been servicing old analogue tuners that drift. Digital tuners don't
drift. Some old 1970s stuff used LM741 class OP amps in preamp stages.
Shocking performance. Modern OP amps are far superior. More importantly,
howeer, has been the superior current ability of quality modern products,
compared to 1970s receivers.

State of the art class ab amps from the 70s in good condition have
excellent specifications and that really has not been improved on much.
And those specifications are well better than any human detectable levels.

**Assuming, of course, that every electrolytic cap has been changed.

Power
supply designs have changed but more of that is related to making them
more economical to manufacture and ship rather than technically superior.
Much of the weight in old high end gear is the power transformer and big
caps. No one can afford to ship a 50lb unit in volume any more. Making
more efficient use of power has improved a great deal over the 70s but
again that doesn't result in better sound.

**Not with linear power supplies. The laws of physics hasn't altered since
the 1970s.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

"Trevor Wilson" writes:
[...]
**I make a living servicing new and old equipment. The old stuff is nothing
special. A lot of the new stuff is nothing special.

Hi Trevor,

I get excited when someone like you comes available to educate me. I
hope you won't mind sharing your knowledge and experience.

Whether old or new, please tell me which amps would be your picks in the
~50 to ~200 watt range, whether old or new. The amplifier itself, and to
a lesser extent, the premp, are what's important to me (rather than
tuner performance, video switching, etc.).

Also, what class A amp (new or old) would you recommend?
--
% Randy Yates % "Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % you still wander the fields of your
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Trevor Wilson a écrit :
"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

If a good vintage amp of receiver have been well taken care it can (and
probably will give you years of pleasure. On the other hand if it was
not then it will have to be serviced and sometime it is not worth the
money (and the time involved). I have seen people that have bought H/K,
Rotel and Nad that where totally scrapped by the previous owner. I have
also see Luxman, Quad, Radford, and H/K stuff that where in pristine
condition. As for my Radford I have it check by one guy at our service
dept that is a Radford Nuts and all the spec where still on the spot.

One thing that I did'nt care before that we see on new stuff is a Remote
control. I did'nt care before but when I broke my ankle this winter you
bet I was craving for one (and I still do today after 3 month);-).

As for the Quality of today receivers, yes you can get decent and even
great quality modern equipment but not below 400$. I never get any
return on High-End Receivers It is always with the one that cost less
than 400$. This is not Utter nonsense as you said. Do you remember that
some people recommend this poster to buy a 200$ basic receiver. What I
wanted to said is that you're better to spend that 200$ on a good
vintage amp or receiver than on a 200$ crappy basic receiver.

Jocelyn
Proud Son of Leo Major, DCM & Bar
To know why I am proud go the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Major
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On May 9, 10:32*am, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

m...

Trevor Wilson a écrit :
"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

Trevor Wilson- Hide quoted text -

Agreed on the tuners. But fm is not exactly the preferred signal
source any more so the quality of the fm tuner is not on my list of
critical elements. I'll bet it's been 6 months since I had an fm
station on at home.

Not sure what your point is with the power supply comment? I'm not
trying to argue with the laws of physics. Either can be designed to
provide adequate power for the requirement. A good linear one will be
pretty heavy. A switched one can provide a lot of power with way less
space and weight.

If the point you are making is that new equipment will have a whole
lot less power overhead then you'll get no argument out of me. But
again, that's not on my list of priorities. Yes, my amps are
disipating enough power to light up a bunch of 75 watt bulbs while
operating, I know it, I don't care.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Trevor Wilson a écrit :
"EADGBE" wrote in message
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Major- Hide quoted text -

What I said was that those particular pioneers were not any better
than a new $200 stereo. Not that you could not get a better deal by
buying used equipment. Those particular pioneers can be had for under
$100. Could you get a better used amp for $200 than you could a new
one? Sure, as long as used is ok with you. That's not true for
everyone though.

I agree with you! Vintage is not for everyone. Some people just want new
stuff because there is a warranty. Other honestly believe that new is
better than old, other believe the other way. I have find few new
equipment that where as good as my Luxman L-550 except they all cost
over 1800$.

Jocelyn
Proud Son of Leo Major, DCM & Bar
To know why I am proud go thehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Major

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" writes:
[...]
**I make a living servicing new and old equipment. The old stuff is
nothing
special. A lot of the new stuff is nothing special.

Hi Trevor,

I get excited when someone like you comes available to educate me. I
hope you won't mind sharing your knowledge and experience.

Whether old or new, please tell me which amps would be your picks in the
~50 to ~200 watt range, whether old or new. The amplifier itself, and to
a lesser extent, the premp, are what's important to me (rather than
tuner performance, video switching, etc.).

Also, what class A amp (new or old) would you recommend?

**First off: I would not recommend any Class A amps. For several reasons:

* According to Doug Self, Class A is not the right approach for high
fidelity.
* Very few amplifiers which are purported to be Class A, are, in fact, Class
A. More usually, they're highly biased Class A/B designs. Nothing wrong with
that, but manufacturers who mislead should be shunned. Musical Fidelity is a
regular offender in this area.
* A modestly biased Class A/B amplifier seems to work best, both in terms of
longevity, reliability, efficiency and sound quality.

As for amplifiers I'd suggest, that would depend on your location, your
budget and intended load.

Sorry I did not respond earlier. My PC crashed and I lost whatever posts I
had ready to send.

Trevor Wilson