Posted to rec.audio.tech
ggm ggm is offline

Default looking for this audio item

I am looking for a portable AM/FM radio with built in speakers and an
input jack that I can connect with a small mp3 device for listening to
downloaded lectures.

Any ideas anyone.

Please excuse me if this is not the right group and point to the right
group if you know.

Thanks,

ggm
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

ggm wrote:

I am looking for a portable AM/FM radio with built in speakers and an
input jack that I can connect with a small mp3 device for listening to
downloaded lectures.

Any ideas anyone.

A ghettoblaster ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boombox

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"ggm" wrote...
I am looking for a portable AM/FM radio with built in speakers and an
input jack that I can connect with a small mp3 device for listening to
downloaded lectures.

Any ideas anyone.

There are dozens to choose from in most parts of the planet.
Do you live somewhere where they don't have those kinds of
things? Since you appear to have internet access, you could
always get one online.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ggm ggm is offline

Look folks Richard Crowley took time
out from the important things he must
have been doing to make a smart assed
remark about a rather innocent question
someone sent in. We can only imagine the
opportunity cost of his comment. What had
to be set aside and go undone inorder for
him to smart off. Grow up ........

And it is not true that there is a huge
range of choice in small portable
radios with line-in and speakers.

ggm

On May 24, 12:48*am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"ggm" wrote...
I am looking for a portable AM/FM radio with built in speakers and an
input jack that I can connect with a small mp3 device for listening to
downloaded lectures.

Any ideas anyone.

There are dozens to choose from in most parts of the planet.
Do you live somewhere where they don't have those kinds of
things? *Since you appear to have internet access, you could
always get one online.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
student[_3_] student[_3_] is offline

Looks like R Crowley has size problems as he thinks that a boom box
is small. I would say an AM/FM radio like the Sony walkman is small,
as in as small as a pack of cigarettes.

The OP may think of a microphone jack as line input as it
could be used as such when added inline with an attenuator
available from Radio Shack; I've kept mine handy for a very long
time for possible future use.

I don't recall seeing any SMALL portables with a mic input tho;
and the internet gives different answers depending on the choice
of words used (or not) & the sequences entered or even the
search engine. Searching may be more difficult as I'm beginning
to see more posters including the "no archive" statement that was
claimed to be honored by giganews or google.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wed, 28 May 2008, student wrote:

Looks like R Crowley has size problems as he thinks that a boom box
is small. I would say an AM/FM radio like the Sony walkman is small,
as in as small as a pack of cigarettes.

The OP may think of a microphone jack as line input as it
could be used as such when added inline with an attenuator
available from Radio Shack; I've kept mine handy for a very long
time for possible future use.

I don't recall seeing any SMALL portables with a mic input tho;
and the internet gives different answers depending on the choice
of words used (or not) & the sequences entered or even the
search engine. Searching may be more difficult as I'm beginning
to see more posters including the "no archive" statement that was
claimed to be honored by giganews or google.

Funny how you guys seem to be working in tandem.

The original post says nothing about small, just portable. The
MP3 player is referred to as small.

Since the original post says "speakers" that implies something bigger
than a pocket radio.

YOu two also lack reading comprehension, since it was Eyore who
mentioned boomboxes, Richard Crowley just made an observation
that should be obvious.

Both of you seem to be stuck in a cave for decades.

First, there was the wave of boomboxes as portable CD players
came along. Putting a cd player in the boombox would jump
the price up, but the external inputs added little to the cost
but made them valuable for those who did want to use the boombox
with a cd player.

I don't know how common they were, yet in the past few years I've
gotten two, one at a rummage sale and the other lying on the sidewalk.
I've seen others.

Nowadays such boomboxes would be marketed as "MP3 ready", nothing
different from what was before, but a marketing thing to point out
that you can use your MP3 player with it.

But there is a massive market of accessories for MP3 players, and a big
slice of it is units you connect your MP3 player to so the sound comes
out of speakers. They come in all kinds of prices and sizes, and they
are all simply audio amplifiers with speakers that are marketed to
the MP3 player market. In the old days, people would be content to
plug their auxiliary audio sources into their stereo systems, but
marketing often means selling people things they don't need, so
a new market rises up.

These are all over the place, you can't miss them unless you are living
in a cave. Those are what Richard was talking about.

Then there are always the "computer speakers" which will take
any audio source of the sort of level that comes out of an MP3
player, and amplify and feed the signal to the speakers. No radio,
but hey, if a radio is really needed, one could buy a cheap one
and feed the headphone jack into the computer speakers. Likely
a cheaper solution than buying one of those MP3 speaker gizmos
that come with a radio.

Of course, when people aren't careful about their original post,
they can't get mad when the answers they get don't match what
they want. If they want exact answers, they need to be clear.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

ggm wrote:

Look folks Richard Crowley took time
out from the important things he must
have been doing to make a smart assed
remark about a rather innocent question
someone sent in. We can only imagine the
opportunity cost of his comment. What had
to be set aside and go undone inorder for
him to smart off. Grow up ........

And it is not true that there is a huge
range of choice in small portable
radios with line-in and speakers.

Define 'small'.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

student wrote:

Looks like R Crowley has size problems as he thinks that a boom box
is small. I would say an AM/FM radio like the Sony walkman is small,
as in as small as a pack of cigarettes.

The OP may think of a microphone jack as line input as it
could be used as such when added inline with an attenuator
available from Radio Shack; I've kept mine handy for a very long
time for possible future use.

Why would a RADIO have a MIC input ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

ggm wrote:

I am looking for a portable AM/FM radio with built in speakers and an
input jack that I can connect with a small mp3 device for listening to
downloaded lectures.

Have you tried instead looking for an mp3 player with an included radio ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Roger Thorpe[_2_] Roger Thorpe[_2_] is offline

Eeyore wrote:

ggm wrote:

I am looking for a portable AM/FM radio with built in speakers and an
input jack that I can connect with a small mp3 device for listening to
downloaded lectures.

Have you tried instead looking for an mp3 player with an included radio ?

Graham

You could try the Samsung T10 mp3 player which is very small, has a
surprisingly good FM radio and a microphone.
Roger Thorpe

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 29 May 2008, Eeyore wrote:

student wrote:

Looks like R Crowley has size problems as he thinks that a boom box
is small. I would say an AM/FM radio like the Sony walkman is small,
as in as small as a pack of cigarettes.

The OP may think of a microphone jack as line input as it
could be used as such when added inline with an attenuator
available from Radio Shack; I've kept mine handy for a very long
time for possible future use.

Why would a RADIO have a MIC input ?

Graham

He's talking about "Sony Walkmans", so presumably the ones that
have a microphone so you can hear what's going on around you. I don't
know how common that "feature" ever was, my impression was it faded out
with time.

Of course, that forgets that the original poster wants something with
speakers, so any "Sony Walkman" won't fit the bill, since their whole
purpose is to be used with headphones.

Plus, of course, they won't be stereo microphone inputs, so there
goes the stereo effect of whatever you feed into it, even if there
was a reason to feed an MP3 player intended to feed headphones into
another unit intended to feed headphones.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 29 May 2008, Roger Thorpe wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

ggm wrote:

I am looking for a portable AM/FM radio with built in speakers and an
input jack that I can connect with a small mp3 device for listening to
downloaded lectures.

Have you tried instead looking for an mp3 player with an included radio ?

Graham

You could try the Samsung T10 mp3 player which is very small, has a
surprisingly good FM radio and a microphone.
Roger Thorpe

A lot of MP3 players have FM radios built in. I haven't noticed any
that have AM.

But this sidesteps the issue. I think, though it's hard to tell,
that the original poster is wanting speakers, and then the radio
feature is incidental.

The "mic input" is misdirection on the part of the second wave
of posters (that sure sound like they are the same person). The original
poster wants an auxiliary input, so he can play his MP3 player through
this radio. The original poster is not looking for a "mic input", that's
something someone else through in as a means of getting the MP3 output
into this radio.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ggm ggm is offline

Here goes -- in the original post I said:

"I am looking for a portable AM/FM radio with
built in speakers and an input jack that I can
connect with a small mp3 device for listening to
downloaded lectures."

Let's deconstruct here. I assumed that

by portable with speakers most readers

would assume smaller than a boom box

(otherwise why not just say boom box?)

and larger than a walkman or portable

mp3 player (usually no speakers).

That seems to leave cheap radios with

a general size of about 2Dx5Hx8L (inches).

They usually have poor sound quality and

no line-in connection. Some of the more

expensive short wave portables have

better sound and features, but most of

them don't have line-in. Some do and I

will probably go that way. Any more

ideas out there? Thanks for the help.

ggm

Posted to rec.audio.tech

ggm wrote:
Any more

ideas out there? Thanks for the help.

ggm

Ok, one last try. How about using a small FM transmitter that is
designed to allow mp3 players to play through car radios. You can get
them for about 30 UKP (60 dollars I suppose).
Roger Thorpe