me

Default Good preamp for electric guitar?

This is a follow up to my last post. Several of you suggested that an SM57
(which incidentally I am using along with a beta57a) with a mackie 1402 is a
bad combo. So now I am trying to get a good recommendation of a stereo
preamp for hopefully under $1000. I need stereo because I use the sm57 and
beta57 simultaneously.

Look forward to hearing some recommendations!

-brian

EganMedia

Several of you suggested that an SM57
(which incidentally I am using along with a beta57a) with a mackie 1402 is a
bad combo.

For recording electric guitar it's a fine combo. Before dropping $1000 on a
mic preamp, consider whether the guitar/amp combination is giving you the sound
you're looking for. It it is, I'd look at a different mic before spending
money on an esoteric mic preamp. Look for a used RCA BK-5, a beyer M130 or
160, or if you're hot to spend that whole $1000, a Royer R121.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Scott Dorsey

me wrote:
This is a follow up to my last post. Several of you suggested that an SM57
(which incidentally I am using along with a beta57a) with a mackie 1402 is a
bad combo. So now I am trying to get a good recommendation of a stereo
preamp for hopefully under $1000. I need stereo because I use the sm57 and
beta57 simultaneously.

Buy the Hardy. Once it sounds good, you won't need to be using both
simultaneously on the cabinet.

LeBaron & Alrich

EganMedia wrote:

Several of you suggested that an SM57
(which incidentally I am using along with a beta57a) with a mackie 1402 is a
bad combo.

For recording electric guitar it's a fine combo. Before dropping $1000 on
a mic preamp, consider whether the guitar/amp combination is giving you
the sound you're looking for. It it is, I'd look at a different mic
before spending money on an esoteric mic preamp. Look for a used RCA
BK-5, a beyer M130 or 160, or if you're hot to spend that whole $1000, a
Royer R121.

My, Joe, I don't know if I'd ever suggest the M160 into that Mackie.
I've done that and now avoid it entirely. The guy might do well to get
an FMR RNP at less than half his budget. Or the active Royer, to better
match that Mackie input.

Strokes for folks and so forth. g

--
ha