Jase

Default 192kbps MP3s on a big sound system?

Are 192kbps MP3s of a high enough quality that they can stand up to playing
on a monster club sound system? I've heard recommendations of a higher
bitrate but would 192 suffice?

TIA.

Tim S Kemp

Jase wrote:
Are 192kbps MP3s of a high enough quality that they can stand up to
playing on a monster club sound system? I've heard recommendations of
a higher bitrate but would 192 suffice?

hmmm... if Club is running Bose/JBL/Peavey then maybe, if it's running Opus
/ EAW / Turbosound / Meyer then you'll be able to tell the difference
bitween 192 and 320 or uncompressed. YMMV.

Jase

"Tim S Kemp" wrote in message
Jase wrote:
Are 192kbps MP3s of a high enough quality that they can stand up to
playing on a monster club sound system? I've heard recommendations of
a higher bitrate but would 192 suffice?

hmmm... if Club is running Bose/JBL/Peavey then maybe, if it's running

Opus
/ EAW / Turbosound / Meyer

Are you talking about speakers or other equipment?

then you'll be able to tell the difference
bitween 192 and 320 or uncompressed. YMMV.

How exactly will you tell the difference? Will it just be poor quality or
will there be any unwanted "effects"?

Old Fart at Play

citronzx wrote:

You all must go to pretty fancy clubs where everyone is quiet and the music
is played softly enough that you can even understand what the singer is
singing. The acoustics in most clubs combined with the ambient noise makes
for such a poor listening experience to begin with that I doubt anyone would
notice the difference between an MP3 and a CD. You might notice a loss of
bass with some tracks though.

Excuse my ignorance but how are you going to lose bass
with any bitrate of mp3?

Last time I made some mp3s I used LAME and tried various
bitrates until SWMBO said it was ok. We settled on variable
bitrate with a minimum of 128kbps.

--
Roger.

Mark D. Zacharias

I think you or anyone else would be very hard pressed to reliably tell the
difference with any competently encoded track.

(enough weasel-words there?)

Mark Z.

"Jase" wrote in message
Are 192kbps MP3s of a high enough quality that they can stand up to

playing
on a monster club sound system? I've heard recommendations of a higher
bitrate but would 192 suffice?

TIA.

vibrations

just my 2cents worth but

vinyl still offers the best sound in a club environment, in terms of
impact and depth. i've seen mp3 dudes drop sets after vinyl ones, and
seen the atmosphere vanish and people leave the floor.
mp3 sounds a little thin for big club tracks - just because something
has the same SPL doesn't mean it has the same 'bounce'
still, all things being relative, if all the other djs on the night
play mp3 too, noone will ever notice...

vib

ps. if you're getting paid to dj i hope you're buying the music you
play and not just kazaaing it
karma is a bitch ; )
Ian Molton

On 11 Feb 2004 01:11:51 -0800
(vibrations) wrote:

vinyl still offers the best sound in a club environment, in terms of
impact and depth. i've seen mp3 dudes drop sets after vinyl ones, and
seen the atmosphere vanish and people leave the floor.

either ****E encoding or dj.

dont blame the format.

--
Spyros lair:
http://www.mnementh.co.uk/ |||| Maintainer: arm26 linux

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.

Keith G

"vibrations" wrote in message
om...
just my 2cents worth but

vinyl still offers the best sound in a club environment, in terms of
impact and depth.

Not just in clubs and not to mention texture, tone, detail, depth and
imaging.......

i've seen mp3 dudes drop sets after vinyl ones, and
seen the atmosphere vanish and people leave the floor.

You can flog Joe Public any old crap but you can't make him listen to
it.......

mp3 sounds a little thin for big club tracks - just because something
has the same SPL doesn't mean it has the same 'bounce'

Agreed entirely.

TonyP

"Keith G" wrote in message
"vibrations" wrote in message
om...
vinyl still offers the best sound in a club environment, in terms of
impact and depth.

Not just in clubs and not to mention texture, tone, detail, depth and
imaging.......

Agreed, it's best not to mention those things and vinyl in the same breath!

i've seen mp3 dudes drop sets after vinyl ones, and
seen the atmosphere vanish and people leave the floor.

Sure, there a lot more things going on than just the vinyl Vs digital
source.

You can flog Joe Public any old crap but you can't make him listen to
it.......

Agreed, many prefer new crap.

mp3 sounds a little thin for big club tracks - just because something
has the same SPL doesn't mean it has the same 'bounce'

True, nothing like the bounce from a tone arm when the turntable is knocked!

TonyP.

TonyP

"Keith G" wrote in message
[...]

Steely Dan The Absolute Sound Steven Sullivan High End Audio 585 August 26th 04 02:17 AM
Opinions on a sound system Car Audio 3 July 5th 04 06:14 PM
Sound, Music, Balance Robert Trosper High End Audio 1 November 21st 03 04:09 AM
Suggestions for new/replacement Rink sound system Robert Bell Pro Audio 6 September 2nd 03 02:11 AM