Posted to rec.audio.pro
Wirenut Wirenut is offline

Default Low end mic shootout

Well if anyone is interested I am posting a Mic comparison using some
of my different mics. I figured others in this area have a setup very
similar to me so I recorded a Yamaha acoustic guitar with Elixir
strings. All mics are aimed at the twelfth fret about 12 inches away.
I was very diligent in measuring the distance with a ruler and the
guitar player was very still so the mic distance and angles would be
as close as possible. They were plugged into a Tascam 2516 mixer for
the preamp. I have an API 512 but I thought that it might add color so
I used the Tascam preamps in the board. In fact I used the exact
channel for each mic. The channel on the board is direct out to a
Tascam 1804 interface. The sample rate was 48KHZ at 24 bit using Sonar
Producer 7.0 for the DAW. No EQ was added. I then exported the files
one by one from sonar to 44.1KHZ 16bit wave files. I opened them up in
Sony sound forge and then saved them as an MP3 file.

I had fun doing this and learned a lot doing this mic comparison. This
in no way was a mic competition but instead a way to hear some
different colors the pallet.

Here is a the links to the results

http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/AKG_Perception_200.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/MXL_603s.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Okta...id_Capsule.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Okta...ni_Capsule.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Rode...id_Pattern.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Rode...ni_Pattern.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Shure_SM81.mp3

I am interested in hearing any of your responses.

Thanks!

Doug
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tommi Tommi is offline

"Wirenut" wrote in message
Well if anyone is interested I am posting a Mic comparison using some
of my different mics.

I had fun doing this and learned a lot doing this mic comparison. This
in no way was a mic competition but instead a way to hear some
different colors the pallet.

Here is a the links to the results

http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/AKG_Perception_200.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/MXL_603s.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Okta...id_Capsule.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Okta...ni_Capsule.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Rode...id_Pattern.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Rode...ni_Pattern.mp3
http://pennyfox.net/micshootout/Shure_SM81.mp3

I am interested in hearing any of your responses.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for taking the time to do the shootout. Are you sure you haven't
mixed up those Rode NT2 files? To me the cardioid pattern sounds like an
omni pattern, and vice versa.

Anyway if I were to record an acoustic like that right now, I'd probably
choose the Oktava for my purposes. Never got my hands on one, though...SM 81
is the mic I've been using quite a lot. Anyway, nice job!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith. Keith. is offline

"Tommi" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Wirenut" wrote in message
[...]

Good effort....even the tune is standardised for ease of comparison.
I would agree that the NT2's pattern seems reversed.
The AKG Perception 200 seemed to match the guitar,its 10k lift helps with
this type of instrument. Did you have any filter on the AKG?

Keith.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Wirenut Wirenut is offline

On Jan 14, 12:22*am, "Keith." wrote:
"Tommi" wrote in message

i.fi...

"Wirenut" wrote in message
[...]

Keith.- Hide quoted text -

Believe it or not the files for the NT2 are identified correctly. I
have another NT2 that I am going to dig out to do a comparison with
the first one to make sure there isn’t a problem with the mic. As far
as the Perception 200, Pad was at zero and the low cut filter was on.
The same goes for the Rode. The LDC’s have no filters.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:56:33 -0500, Wirenut wrote
(in article
):

Believe it or not the files for the NT2 are identified correctly. I
have another NT2 that I am going to dig out to do a comparison with
the first one to make sure there isn’t a problem with the mic. As far
as the Perception 200, Pad was at zero and the low cut filter was on.
The same goes for the Rode. The LDC’s have no filters.

NT-2 or NT-2a?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Wirenut Wirenut is offline

On Jan 14, 2:54*pm, Ty Ford wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:56:33 -0500, Wirenut wrote
(in article
):

Believe it or not the files for the NT2 are identified correctly. I
have another NT2 that I am going to dig out to do a comparison with
the first one to make sure there isn’t a problem with themic. As far
as the Perception 200, Pad was at zero and thelowcut filter was on.
The same goes for the Rode. The LDC’s have no filters.

NT-2 or NT-2a?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com