Posted to rec.audio.pro,
Ty Ford

Default Mac and PC assistance required...MP3 podcast check.

Hey,

I made an MP3 file for the local songwriters group and at first blush, only
Mac users seem to be able to get anything. I'm thinking it's an mp3 on a
server, what's the big deal?

May I ask that anyone with a PC try the link? Macs don't seem to have a
problem.

it's a big file, about 30MB, but it's streaming on my Mac. I think I did it
at 128 kbps stereo.

If you have DSL or a cable modem, the main page is at
http://www.baltimoresongwriters.org/

There's a rather large CLICK TO LISTEN link on the right side of the page.

I'm not sure what happens if you try a dialup. That would also be interesting
to know.

Thanks,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Fuchs

Ty Ford wrote:

May I ask that anyone with a PC try the link?

Works just fine. I get streaming audio when I enter the link to the file
(http://www.baltimoresongwriters.org/...BSApodcast.mp3) straight into
Windows Media Player.

Daniel
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Courtney Goodin

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
[...]

Works fine on My PC running Windows XP with Windows Media Player 10.
Remember you must have Media player 9 or 10 to start an MP3 Stream in Win
Media Player. Some versions of Windows (ME, 2000, 98) all shipped with
Media Player 6.4. They can all be upgraded by downloading 9 or 10 though.
Sometmes if you install QuickSlime it steals the MP3 file Type from Media
player and that may be a problem for people. They don't co-exist if a very
friendly fashion. They both seem to try to break each other each time a new
version comes out.

----Courtney

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Morrison

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

May I ask that anyone with a PC try the link? Macs don't seem to have a
problem.

Launched fine here Ty. Using WinXP-SP2 and it started immediately in my
browser (Firefox 1.5.01) from the QT 7.0.4 plugin on a cable modem
connection. BTW, there wasn't a "button" but a hot link to the file. Not
sure if that link appears as a button in IE.

dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Ty Ford" wrote ...
I'm not sure what happens if you try a dialup. That would
also be interesting to know.

Works fine on Windows with dialup as well.
I'm using the current WMP 10.
I can click on the mp3 link and it "streams" (subject to
the limits of the line speed) directly into WMP. And I
can also right-click and "Save Target As..."
No problem that I can see.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:07:15 -0500, Richard Crowley wrote
(in article ):

"Ty Ford" wrote ...
I'm not sure what happens if you try a dialup. That would
also be interesting to know.

Works fine on Windows with dialup as well.
I'm using the current WMP 10.
I can click on the mp3 link and it "streams" (subject to
the limits of the line speed) directly into WMP. And I
can also right-click and "Save Target As..."
No problem that I can see.

Thanks Richard. What's your typical dialup kbps?

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

"Ty Ford" wrote:

May I ask that anyone with a PC try the link?

On my machine it didn't stream, it downloaded the whole damn file to a
temp directory, then opened iTunes to play it.

Undoubtedly this is at least partly due to settings on my machine
(perhaps having iTunes selected as the default media player rather than
Windows Media Player?), but maybe also partly a result of coding on the
source page. I don't see anything about mime types or anything else in
the code that would explicitly instruct the receiving system to stream
the content. It's left up to the receiving system to decide how to
handle it.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Ty Ford" wrote ...

Thanks Richard. What's your typical dialup kbps?

50K average
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:29:06 -0500, Lorin David Schultz wrote
(in article m63Mf.4818$Cp4.3209@edtnps90):

"Ty Ford" wrote:

May I ask that anyone with a PC try the link?

On my machine it didn't stream, it downloaded the whole damn file to a
temp directory, then opened iTunes to play it.

Undoubtedly this is at least partly due to settings on my machine
(perhaps having iTunes selected as the default media player rather than
Windows Media Player?), but maybe also partly a result of coding on the
source page. I don't see anything about mime types or anything else in
the code that would explicitly instruct the receiving system to stream
the content. It's left up to the receiving system to decide how to
handle it.

Thanks Lorin,

Hmmm, so problems on a Mac. On my Mac, it pops open a new window and begins
playing a few seconds later. I'm guessing that makes it a question of
individual computer configuration, but I could be wrong.

Maybe it's a browser issue. Anyone???

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Ty Ford" wrote ...
Hmmm, so problems on a Mac. On my Mac, it pops open a
new window and begins playing a few seconds later. I'm
guessing that makes it a question of individual computer
configuration, but I could be wrong.

Is it playing with the Quicktime player? That application has
become pretty squirrley in the most recent versions and I now
classify it as "malware" along with Real Media's players. It
does strange things both on installation, and when playing.

rant
I wouldn't install Quicktime or Real Players on a bet. If I have
to play a QT file, I use the "Quicktime Alternative". Apparently
others are equally as dubious and have created alternative
players (along with the Real Alternative). The quicktime player
now seems not only inextricably bundled with iTunes, but it also
appears to hijack all known file formats and that just drives me
crazy. I have never had it installed more than 24 hours before I
removed it to regain control of my computer. :-(
/rant

Maybe it's a browser issue. Anyone???

IME, it is completely a function of how the end-user's computer
is configured. Your file seems to be a completely generic MP3
and should be available to the widest range of users.

Any problems you encounter with this are with the end-users
computers, IMHO. The server seems to be configured to feed
MP3 files in whatever form the receiving computer asks for
(whether download or streaming).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:13:11 -0500, Richard Crowley wrote
(in article ):

"Ty Ford" wrote ...
Hmmm, so problems on a Mac. On my Mac, it pops open a
new window and begins playing a few seconds later. I'm
guessing that makes it a question of individual computer
configuration, but I could be wrong.

Is it playing with the Quicktime player? That application has
become pretty squirrley in the most recent versions and I now
classify it as "malware" along with Real Media's players. It
does strange things both on installation, and when playing.

Richard,

No, It's using the QT plugin in Netscape COmmunicator.

[...]

Thanks for confirming that.

Regards,

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:05:03 -0500, John L Rice wrote
(in article ):

Works fine here Ty. DSL connection, Windows XP Pro SP2, Internet Explorer
6, Windows Media Player 10

Hi John,

Thanks. Is it streaming or did it have to download first?

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Ty Ford" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
Is it playing with the Quicktime player? That application has
become pretty squirrley in the most recent versions and I now
classify it as "malware" along with Real Media's players. It
does strange things both on installation, and when playing.

No, It's using the QT plugin in Netscape COmmunicator.

Just an "applet" implementation of the QT player.
Perhaps QT player is better behaved at home (on
Apple computers) than when it is out in public. :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:05:03 -0500, John L Rice wrote
(in article ):

Works fine here Ty. DSL connection, Windows XP Pro SP2, Internet
Explorer
6, Windows Media Player 10

Hi John,

Thanks. Is it streaming or did it have to download first?

Ty

No problem ty. It was streaming fine. My connection is 640 down / 256 up .
.. .which works out to be about 520/180 in real life.

John