Scott R. Garrigus

Default Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq Music Technology Newsletter - Issue 22

Scott R. Garrigus' DigiFreq(TM) - Figaro & Sonar Home Studio 4
ISSN: 1531-6505; Issue 22
Music technology news, articles, reviews, tips and tutorials for
home recording and professional musicians!

WHAT READERS SAY...
"I'm VERY impressed with your knowledge of the software and its
capabilities, in addition to your uncommon ability to communicate
that knowledge comprehensively, yet succinctly. I don't usually make
note of 'technical reference' authors, but your books are at the
high mark. I respect you as an excellent author and technician, and
I've purchased your books for several years now. And I'll continue
to do so." - Doug Landgren

For more information about the Cakewalk, Sonar, and Sound Forge
Power books, go to:
http://www.garrigus.com/powerbooks.asp

* * * * *

Scott's Notes - Figaro & Sonar Home Studio 4

FIGARO GARRIGUS (1986 - 2005)

I would like to dedicate this issue to DigiFreq's unofficial mascot
and my best friend and companion, Figaro (my pet cat) who passed
away on July 30th. Those of you who have read my books have seen
Figaro mentioned in the dedications and acknowledgments. He and I
had been together since I was 18 and in my senior year in high
school. That was almost 18 and 1/2 years ago.

I'll be dedicating my next Sonar book to Figaro, but in the
meantime, I've posted a small tribute to him. To read the tribute
and post your thoughts, go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...p?TopicID=8246

SONAR 4 POWER FOR SONAR HOME STUDIO 4 USERS

Cakewalk recently released the new version of their Home Studio
software, which is now called Sonar Home Studio 4 and 4 XL. I know
some of you will be purchasing this new software and some of you
will be upgrading from previous versions of Home Studio.

Just to let you know, if you need a book to guide you through all of
the features of the software with step-by-step examples and
exercises, then look no further than my Sonar 4 Power book. Why?
Because Sonar Home Studio 4 is basically a scaled-down version of
Sonar 4. This means that my Sonar 4 Power book will provide
everything you need to unlock the potential of your Sonar Home
Studio 4 and 4 XL software. The book is currently available via my
site for 34% off.

So what are you waiting for? Grab your own copy of Sonar 4 Power
today by going to:
http://www.garrigus.com/powerbooks.asp

Thanks for your support! Enjoy the issue...

Scott
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

* * * * *

DFreqCONTEST - Sonar Home Studio 4

Congratulations to Brian Z for winning the Native Instruments Intakt
contest! (Winners are notified by e-mail).

For this contest, DigiFreq is giving away some cool software from
Cakewalk Music Software. One lucky winner will walk away with a free
copy of the new Sonar Home Studio 4!

For those of you that didn't win the Native Instruments Intakt
product, you can find more information and purchase a copy at:
http://www.zzounds.com/a--303813/item--NININTAKT

Remember, you have to be a subscriber to be eligible, and as long as
you remain a subscriber, you are automatically entered into each
contest. For more information go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/contest.asp

* * * * *

DFreqDISCUSS - FireWire, Surround, Outboard Gear, CD Printers.

Some of the latest music technology discussions:

Firewire Audio/Midi Interfaces for Windows XP
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...p?TopicID=8260

Surround Sound
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...p?TopicID=8249

Casio CD Printers
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...p?TopicID=8242

USB2 Hard Drive Losing Formating
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...p?TopicID=8245

Tom Petty Amp Settings
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...p?TopicID=6751

Outboard Gear
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...p?TopicID=8105

Starting Sonar 4 with a blank project
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...p?TopicID=8199

Studio Set-Up
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/dis...p?TopicID=8219

To read up on other interesting topics, or to post and get answers
to your own questions, go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/discuss.asp

* * * * *

DFreqDEALS - MusicLab's DrumTools Performance Designer

Have difficulties in creating your OWN professionally performed drum
parts? Now forget about that with the intelligent DrumTools
Performance Designer software. DrumTools Performance Designer is a
powerful MIDI application allowing for the instant creation of drum
performances including drum/percussion loops, fills, intros,
endings, and solos. You can then simply trigger them by MIDI notes
from your sequencer to easily turn separate performances into
complete drum tracks perfectly matching your song.

For more information, and a special 10% discount, go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/deals.asp

* * * * *

DFreqNEWS - Fishman, Finale, Sibelius, Piano, and more.

Some of the latest music technology news:

Brian Moore Guitar & Planet Waves Giveaway Sweepstakes Contest
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2532

Fishman Plug in and Win Sweepstakes
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2520

MakeMusic Finale 2006 Notation Software
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2522

Dance Music Manual: Toys, Tools and Techniques
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2507

The Stories Behind Every Beatles Song
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2497

Sibelius 4 Music Notation Software
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2478

Salute! The World War II Tribute Album
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2470

What Every Musician Should Know About Self-Promotion
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2465

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2420

IAMA (International Acoustic Music Awards) Kicks Off
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2452

How to Convert Records and Tapes to CD - DVD Tutorial
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2440

Native Instruments Absynth 3 Tutorial DVD
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2431

Magix Music Studio 10 Deluxe
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2425

Play Piano in a Flash!
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/new...sp?NewsID=2387

For more of the latest music technology news, go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/news.asp

Also be sure to check out all the great consumer and small business
technology news over at:
http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

* * * * *

DFreqARTICLES - Optimizing, Sequencer Techniques, MIDI Drums, etc.

Some of the latest music technology articles:

Optimizing your Music & Audio PC (Part 1)
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=14

Optimizing your Music & Audio PC (Part 2)
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=15

MIDI & Digital Audio Music Sequencer Techniques (Part 1)
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=12

MIDI & Digital Audio Music Sequencer Techniques (Part 2)
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=13

Convolution Reverb and Beyond
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=9

Player Against the Machine - Creating Realistic Instrument Tracks
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=8

Running Audio Plug-Ins Using DSP-Accelerator Hardware
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=4

Splitting Up Your Midi Drums In Cakewalk
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=3

For more of the latest music technology articles, go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/articles.asp

* * * * *

DFreqTIP - Cutting a Range of MIDI Notes with Cakewalk

There may be times when you're working on a project that you would
like to take a certain range of notes from one track and move them
to another track. For example, if you recorded a keyboard
performance on one track, but would rather have the left and right
hand parts on two different tracks.

Using Cakewalk software, you can achieve this by doing the
following:

1) Select the track that contains the performance.
2) Choose Edit Select By Filter.
3) Click the None button.
4) Put a check mark next to the Note option.
5) Choose the range of notes you want to select by entering values
for the Key Min and Key Max parameters. Click OK.
6) Choose Edit Cut.
7) Make sure the Events In Tracks option is activated. Click OK.
8) Choose Edit Paste. Set the Starting Time to 1:01:000 and set
the Repetitions to 1.
9) Set the Starting At Track parameter to the number of the track to
which you want to paste the new data. Click OK.

You should now have two tracks with different ranges of notes that
when combined, play the entire performance.

* * * * *

DFreqFINISH - Send Your Suggestions!

Thanks for reading another issue of Digifreq! Please remember to
send me your article suggestions. I publish this newsletter not just
for myself, but for you too! So let me know what you'd like to see
in future issues.

In the meantime, please keep spreading the word about DigiFreq. I
really appreciate all your help and support!

Thanks!
Scott
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

DISCLAIMER

DigiFreq(TM) is provided for informational purposes only. Any damage
resulting from the use of the information herein is the sole
responsibility of the reader.

Copyright 2005 by Scott R. Garrigus. All Rights Reserved.
DigiFreq, PO Box 458, Stafford Springs, CT 06076 USA

Please tell your friends about DigiFreq. If you'd like to recommend
this newsletter to a friend, go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/recommend.asp

To access back issues, go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/issues.asp

Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6,
SONAR, SONAR 2, SONAR 3 and Sonar 4 Power! books.
** Sound Forge 8 Power The Official Guide - Now Available! ** Books up to
37% off at:
http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of Cakewalks' Sonar Home Studio 4
music sequencing software and learn cool music technology tips and
techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 17,000 readers
can't be wrong! Go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/