Posted to rec.audio.tech
TheThe TheThe is offline

Default 8" 8 Ohm Woofers

Who specializes in selling 8 Ohm? All the websites people
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"
subs in my speaker cabinets with new ones.
Something that can handle 200W RMS or higher. I love the
4 Ohm products for cars but don't want to go that way as my
set up would make it difficult to wire in series to make
4 Ohm= 8 Ohm. I understand the demand for 4 Ohm for the
car is much higher than 8 Ohm. Where can I go and everything
there will be 8 Ohm? Thanks, this is making me crazy.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

TT- [28 Feb 2007 19:53:06 -0800]:
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"

Welcome to the web!

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?
webpage_id=3&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=489

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iplay.40th.com iPlay advanced audio player
Posted to rec.audio.tech
TheThe TheThe is offline

On Mar 1, 12:36 am, () wrote:
TT- [28 Feb 2007 19:53:06 -0800]:
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"

Welcome to the web!

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?
webpage_id=3&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=489

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iplay.40th.com iPlay advanced audio player
zircon.40th.com Zircon music player

Parts express doesn't have anything I can use. I checked them already.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "TheThe" wrote:
On Mar 1, 12:36 am, () wrote:
TT- [28 Feb 2007 19:53:06 -0800]:
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"

Welcome to the web!

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?
webpage_id=3&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=489

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iplay.40th.com iPlay advanced audio player
zircon.40th.com Zircon music player

Parts express doesn't have anything I can use. I checked them already.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/

http://www.madisound.com/

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TheThe TheThe is offline

On Mar 1, 12:41 am, "TheThe" wrote:
On Mar 1, 12:36 am, () wrote:

TT- [28 Feb 2007 19:53:06 -0800]:
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"

Welcome to the web!

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?
webpage_id=3&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=489

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iplay.40th.com iPlay advanced audio player
zircon.40th.com Zircon music player

Thanks for all the help. My amp is designed to drive 4 Ohm or higher

from any of the three sets of speaker outputs. I think this will help.
Parts express doesn't have anything I can use. I checked them already.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article .com, "TheThe" wrote:
On Mar 1, 12:41 am, "TheThe" wrote:
On Mar 1, 12:36 am, () wrote:

TT- [28 Feb 2007 19:53:06 -0800]:
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"

Welcome to the web!

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?
webpage_id=3&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=489

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iplay.40th.com iPlay advanced audio player
zircon.40th.com Zircon music player

Thanks for all the help. My amp is designed to drive 4 Ohm or higher

from any of the three sets of speaker outputs. I think this will help.
Parts express doesn't have anything I can use. I checked them already.

Well you could use 4 ohm then??

The amp would get hotter.
8 ohm 200 watts. What box size. Ported, closed, bandpass?
Efficiency?
?
?

grge
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

TheThe wrote:
Who specializes in selling 8 Ohm? All the websites people
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"
subs in my speaker cabinets with new ones.
Something that can handle 200W RMS or higher. I love the
4 Ohm products for cars but don't want to go that way as my
set up would make it difficult to wire in series to make
4 Ohm= 8 Ohm. I understand the demand for 4 Ohm for the
car is much higher than 8 Ohm. Where can I go and everything
there will be 8 Ohm? Thanks, this is making me crazy.

You do realize speakers in series tend to create a peaking impedance?
Depending on the amp's drive capability and application, it might be a
bad load for the amp, and sound not so good.
But it's probably no less easy finding 15/16ohm ones.

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

On Mar 1, 4:46 pm, "Mogens V."
wrote:
You do realize speakers in series tend to create a peaking impedance?
Depending on the amp's drive capability and application, it might be a
bad load for the amp, and sound not so good.

You DO realize that two identical speakers in series create
an impedance that is simply twice that of a single one AT EVERY
FREQUENCY, and does NOT create ANY more "peaking
impedance" than would be expected by simply doubling
the impedance at any arbitrary frequency.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On 28 Feb 2007 19:53:06 -0800, TheThe wrote:

Who specializes in selling 8 Ohm? All the websites people
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"

You must be looking at a lot of car stereo websites.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 00:24:56 +0100, "Mogens V."

On Mar 1, 4:46 pm, "Mogens V."
wrote:

You do realize speakers in series tend to create a peaking impedance?
Depending on the amp's drive capability and application, it might be a
bad load for the amp, and sound not so good.

You DO realize that two identical speakers in series create
an impedance that is simply twice that of a single one AT EVERY
FREQUENCY, and does NOT create ANY more "peaking
impedance" than would be expected by simply doubling
the impedance at any arbitrary frequency.

Nope, doesn't work like that. But I'll have to browse a bit up on
speaker theory to offer the correct explanation. Will do..

Good luck in beating Dick on speaker theory! Especially this bit, in
which he is absolutely right.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Don Pearce" wrote ...
"Mogens V." wrote:
wrote:
"Mogens V." wrote:

You do realize speakers in series tend to create a peaking impedance?
Depending on the amp's drive capability and application, it might be a
bad load for the amp, and sound not so good.

You DO realize that two identical speakers in series create
an impedance that is simply twice that of a single one AT EVERY
FREQUENCY, and does NOT create ANY more "peaking
impedance" than would be expected by simply doubling
the impedance at any arbitrary frequency.

Nope, doesn't work like that. But I'll have to browse a bit up on
speaker theory to offer the correct explanation. Will do..

Good luck in beating Dick on speaker theory! Especially this bit, in
which he is absolutely right.

Thanks for spoiling the show. Some of us were enjoying the
entertainment at "Mogens V."s expense. Kinda the modern,
online equivalent of watching a bullfight. People don't go
because they are unsure who the winner will be.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

On Mar 1, 6:24 pm, "Mogens V."
On Mar 1, 4:46 pm, "Mogens V."
wrote:

You do realize speakers in series tend to create a peaking impedance?
Depending on the amp's drive capability and application, it might be a
bad load for the amp, and sound not so good.

You DO realize that two identical speakers in series create
an impedance that is simply twice that of a single one AT EVERY
FREQUENCY, and does NOT create ANY more "peaking
impedance" than would be expected by simply doubling
the impedance at any arbitrary frequency.

Nope, doesn't work like that. But I'll have to browse a bit up on
speaker theory to offer the correct explanation. Will do..

Yes, it does work like that. And yes, you SHOULD browse
a bit more on speaker theory, because it is quite well
supported by noth theory AND actual measurement.

While you're at it, try browsing:

www.cartchunk.org/audiotopics/SeriesSpeaker.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Don Pearce" wrote ...
"Mogens V." wrote:
wrote:
"Mogens V." wrote:

[...]

Someone arguing speaker theory or practice with Dick like a bull fight?
Nahh, more like a fight between a field mouse and a locomotive!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

wrote:
On Mar 1, 6:24 pm, "Mogens V."

On Mar 1, 4:46 pm, "Mogens V."
wrote:

You do realize speakers in series tend to create a peaking impedance?
Depending on the amp's drive capability and application, it might be a
bad load for the amp, and sound not so good.

You DO realize that two identical speakers in series create
an impedance that is simply twice that of a single one AT EVERY
FREQUENCY, and does NOT create ANY more "peaking
impedance" than would be expected by simply doubling
the impedance at any arbitrary frequency.

Nope, doesn't work like that. But I'll have to browse a bit up on
speaker theory to offer the correct explanation. Will do..

Yes, it does work like that. And yes, you SHOULD browse
a bit more on speaker theory, because it is quite well
supported by noth theory AND actual measurement.

While you're at it, try browsing:

www.cartchunk.org/audiotopics/SeriesSpeaker.pdf

Quite interesting, and proves your points. I was of cause referring to
the usual notes on damping effect and Q in various (older) material in
my possesion. Also, I used to use some PC tools supporting those, but
tools can only do what the algorithm's in them are programmed for.

I'm quite aware any field will have it's hypes, and try never to miss an
opportunity for debunking. I stand corrected..
Sorry guys, you're going to miss out on the bullfight :-D

Anyways, your use of CAPS made me jumpy. Sometimes works on me like
someone's shouting. Never mind, and thanks for the link.
I wouldn't mind other references, might be a good time to go over what I
have and what's getting irrelevant. I do that sometimes...

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Don Pearce" wrote ...
"Mogens V." wrote:
wrote:
"Mogens V." wrote:

[...some silly stuff...]

[...some correct stuff...]

Nope, doesn't work like that. But I'll have to browse a bit up on
speaker theory to offer the correct explanation. Will do..

Oh dear. Good thing I didn't have a beverage, or else the monitor
would've been saturated. Spit-take city.

Good luck in beating Dick on speaker theory! Especially this bit, in
which he is absolutely right.

Thanks for spoiling the show. Some of us were enjoying the
entertainment at "Mogens V."s expense. Kinda the modern,
online equivalent of watching a bullfight. People don't go
because they are unsure who the winner will be.

Someone arguing speaker theory or practice with Dick like a bull fight?
Nahh, more like a fight between a field mouse and a locomotive!

Francois.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Fred DeRosa Fred DeRosa is offline

"TheThe" wrote in message
ps.com...
Who specializes in selling 8 Ohm? All the websites people
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"
subs in my speaker cabinets with new ones.
Something that can handle 200W RMS or higher. I love the
4 Ohm products for cars but don't want to go that way as my
set up would make it difficult to wire in series to make
4 Ohm= 8 Ohm. I understand the demand for 4 Ohm for the
car is much higher than 8 Ohm. Where can I go and everything
there will be 8 Ohm? Thanks, this is making me crazy.

http://www.toby.com/HANDMADE/tobydrivershand.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TheThe TheThe is offline

On Mar 3, 1:06 pm, "Fred DeRosa" wrote:
"TheThe" wrote in message

ps.com...

Who specializes in selling 8 Ohm? All the websites people
suggest have 90% 4 Ohm and 10% 8 Ohm product. I need to replace the 8"
subs in my speaker cabinets with new ones.
Something that can handle 200W RMS or higher. I love the
4 Ohm products for cars but don't want to go that way as my
set up would make it difficult to wire in series to make
4 Ohm= 8 Ohm. I understand the demand for 4 Ohm for the
car is much higher than 8 Ohm. Where can I go and everything
there will be 8 Ohm? Thanks, this is making me crazy.

http://www.toby.com/HANDMADE/tobydrivershand.htm

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/prod...cific=jnoodqj0

I was really seeking a midrange and found this 8 Ohm that I think will
do
exactly what I want. Not for sure if this is who I will get it from or
not.
Eminence is made in Kentucky near where I live. Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TheThe TheThe is offline

On Mar 3, 4:29 pm, "TheThe" wrote:
On Mar 3, 1:06 pm, "Fred DeRosa" wrote:

"TheThe" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

http://www.randallareed.com/Kenwood_KR_9600.htm

This is the Receiver I have and will be using.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Fred DeRosa Fred DeRosa is offline

"TheThe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 3, 1:06 pm, "Fred DeRosa" wrote:
"TheThe" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

That does look nice.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Fred DeRosa Fred DeRosa is offline

"TheThe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 3, 1:06 pm, "Fred DeRosa" wrote:
"TheThe" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Here is another one you might like.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=296-420

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TheThe TheThe is offline

On Mar 3, 6:36 pm, "Fred DeRosa" wrote:
"TheThe" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 3, 1:06 pm, "Fred DeRosa" wrote:
"TheThe" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

That one from partsexpress looks like excellent quality. Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Fred DeRosa Fred DeRosa is offline

"TheThe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 3, 6:36 pm, "Fred DeRosa" wrote:
"TheThe" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 3, 1:06 pm, "Fred DeRosa" wrote:
"TheThe" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Make sure you check the crossover frequency of your speaker system. I would
love to replace my current 8" woofers with these, but they aren't a match
for my speaker's crossover. My crossover is at 3,500 Hz. These speaker's
frequency response is rated at 3,500 Hz. I would need a woofer rated in the
5,000 - 7,000 range, according to the tech at Parts Express.