Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere

Default Slot v Tray

For DVD/CD players is there any technical advantage offered by the
issues?

Dirk
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Dirk Bruere" wrote ...
For DVD/CD players is there any technical advantage
offered by the loading method ie trays versus slot loading?
reliability issues? reading issues?

I'm always worried about the necessary rollers in slot-
the suface of the disc on the way in/out. Note that most
tray-load machines touch the disc only at the very outer
edge, etc. Tray-load would be my very strong preference.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Dirk Bruere" wrote ...
For DVD/CD players is there any technical advantage offered by the
reading issues?

I'm always worried about the necessary rollers in slot-
the suface of the disc on the way in/out. Note that most
tray-load machines touch the disc only at the very outer
edge, etc. Tray-load would be my very strong preference.

The problem is that I cannot easily find a DVD/CD combo with a tray that
is not a flimsy piece of rattling crap. Any suggestions?

Dirk
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Dirk Bruere" wrote ...

The problem is that I cannot easily find a DVD/CD combo with a tray
that is not a flimsy piece of rattling crap. Any suggestions?

You haven't revealed the rest of your question?
Is this for a vehicle? Portable? Boom box?
DJ? We have not the slightest clue what your
other requrements are.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Dirk Bruere" wrote ...

The problem is that I cannot easily find a DVD/CD combo with a tray
that is not a flimsy piece of rattling crap. Any suggestions?

You haven't revealed the rest of your question?
Is this for a vehicle? Portable? Boom box?
DJ? We have not the slightest clue what your
other requrements are.

High end home theatre.

Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sat, 20 May 2006 19:26:04 +0100, Dirk Bruere
wrote:

The problem is that I cannot easily find a DVD/CD combo with a tray
that is not a flimsy piece of rattling crap. Any suggestions?

You haven't revealed the rest of your question?
Is this for a vehicle? Portable? Boom box?
DJ? We have not the slightest clue what your
other requrements are.

High end home theatre.

You want something that works well or something expensive? :-)
You couldn't make a tray that DIDN'T break if you kicked it. But,
under normal use, they don't fail often. Break it - replace it.
They're cheap commodity items now.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere

wrote:

The problem is that I cannot easily find a DVD/CD combo with a tray
that is not a flimsy piece of rattling crap. Any suggestions?
You haven't revealed the rest of your question?
Is this for a vehicle? Portable? Boom box?
DJ? We have not the slightest clue what your
other requrements are.

High end home theatre.

You want something that works well or something expensive? :-)
You couldn't make a tray that DIDN'T break if you kicked it. But,
under normal use, they don't fail often. Break it - replace it.
They're cheap commodity items now.

It's also got to *look* like other top end audio systems, and they
*don't* have crap rattling trays that look like they'd snap if you
sneezed on them.

Dirk
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sat, 20 May 2006 21:11:14 +0100, Dirk Bruere
wrote:

You want something that works well or something expensive? :-)
You couldn't make a tray that DIDN'T break if you kicked it. But,
under normal use, they don't fail often. Break it - replace it.
They're cheap commodity items now.

It's also got to *look* like other top end audio systems, and they
*don't* have crap rattling trays that look like they'd snap if you
sneezed on them.

Try one of the audiophool groups then. I'm sure someone indulges them
with a premium-priced version :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere

wrote:

You want something that works well or something expensive? :-)
You couldn't make a tray that DIDN'T break if you kicked it. But,
under normal use, they don't fail often. Break it - replace it.
They're cheap commodity items now.

It's also got to *look* like other top end audio systems, and they
*don't* have crap rattling trays that look like they'd snap if you
sneezed on them.

Try one of the audiophool groups then. I'm sure someone indulges them
with a premium-priced version :-)

Well, I've pretty much decided to go for Plextor slot loader.
No try.

Dirk
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann

In , on 05/20/06
at 05:58 PM, Dirk Bruere said:

For DVD/CD players is there any technical advantage offered by the
reading issues?

It's only the aesthetic value. The disc eventually ends up on the
player's spindle and is clamped in place.

Unless they are subjected to a physical accident, I don't have any
trouble with trays. A common failure is the rubber drive belt, but this
age related and can happen to trays or slots.

Simple slots don't seal against dust as well as trays can. Either could
be designed to exclude dust.

In my opinion trays encourage better disc care because one is more
likely to grab the disc by the center and edges, while the slot
encourages touching the active surface.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

AKAI GX-W45 spring for tape tray Willem Hansel High End Audio 0 March 20th 06 03:16 PM
AKAI GX-W45 spring for tape tray Willem Hansel Tech 0 March 20th 06 08:55 AM
Popio Pop-Up CD Tray / CD case ClanMan Marketplace 0 July 12th 04 06:08 PM
Stuck Cd tray Robearet General 3 September 30th 03 11:26 PM
re-assigning an IRQ on windows 98se john granville Pro Audio 7 July 8th 03 04:17 PM