Mike O'Malley

Default Advice on sound system

Hi all, I'm new to the group, but no stranger to DIY car projects.

Right now I'm looking for some advice on upgrading the sound system in my daily
driver, a '92 Buick Regal. Right now, all I've done is an aftermarket Kenwood
head unit and sattelite radio reciever. It sounds kind of muddy right now, not
as clear as I'd like in the highs, and way too much distortion down low.

My plan was to replace the stock speakers and wire them into a 4ch amp,
something in the neigborhood of 60x4 or so, and send the bass to a small sub in
the trunk. I primarily listen to classic rock and country, along with some jazz
and classical.

I guess my questions are two fold; I don't think I need much in the way of a
sub, just something to handle the lows without distortion; I don't listen to
rap, hip-hop or techno, so I don't need pounding bass, but something that will
just sound clean. How big of an amp should I be aiming for?

My second question is the one that's giving me the most headache; how to handle
the front sound stage. My car has 4" in dash speakers and 4x6" in the doors
(high on the doorsill, right near the top). Would it be better to go with one
or the other, or keep both sets driving the front channel? If I go this route
(replacing the 4" in dash speakers AND the 4x6's in the door) how should I wire
them (or does anybody know how they're wired now?) In series or parallel?

Also, I guess a third question, does anybody have any experience with those
passive crossovers Crutchfield sells, I think they call them bass blockers or
something like that? Are they anygood, or would I be best off just using a full
fledged external crossover to keep the lows off the tweeters?

Thank you,
Mike O'Malley

Need advice: On the way to build the Dream System Naeem Car Audio 20 October 25th 03 06:16 AM
How to make system sound better for rock music. Bob Business Car Audio 1 October 24th 03 12:20 AM
sound system hafiz Car Audio 1 October 8th 03 06:46 PM
Tech. Doc. needed JBL system in Peugeot 406 Coupe Okkie Car Audio 0 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM
What will make my system sound better? Gravity Car Audio 7 July 9th 03 01:57 AM