Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Dec 2004 16:53:55 GMT, (John
Atkinson) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message
On 4 Dec 2004 16:58:06 GMT,
(John
Atkinson) wrote:
why, if you are not a Stereophile reader, do you think your opinion
matters? My readers seem satisfied with what they are offered and
free to adopt or reject the opinions expressed in [Stereophile],
according to their own beliefs and experiences. Surely all you are
offering is the age-old lament of the powerless, unable to reshape
a world that they do not much like!

And now, we finally come to the core of it. Who cares what is real and
what can actually be heard, subscriptions are up!

With respect, Stewart, this is a serious point that all publishers and
editors address. Faced with calls for major changes in their content,
what should they do? If those calls are from a significant proportion
of their readership, then clearly they need to take those calls for
change very seriously, perhaps changing editors.

It's not actually a call for a major change in *content*, it's a call
for a major change in the credibility of your reviewers. I have no
problem at all with your guys reviewing half a dozen cables a month,
so long as they accurately report the results of blind comparisons.

But that wouldn't sit well with your advertisers, or with your more
tweaky reviewers like Fremer or Scull, now would it? :-)

But if those calls for change come predominantly from people who do not
read their publications and most likely would not read them even if the
changes were made -- note that some of the loudest calls for change come
from someone who is employed by the mwgaines competition -- then it would
be unwise for me to pay attention. That is all I am saying.

Actually, you are signally noticeable for refusing to say *anything*.
IME, that's an unusual position for an editor. Perhaps your essential
equipment did not follow you to the good ol' U S of A? :-)

Stereophile's content reflects what _I_ feel appropriate to publish. If
my choices become increasingly uninteresting to my readers, then yes,
change becomes appropriate. But as I said, my current readership
appears to value the balance of views that they are offered each month.
So while small-scale change occurs all the time, no large-scale change
is necessary.

Thank you for making your position clear. It is reasonable in this
age, it acknowledges the perceived wishes of your readership (of which
I admit to being a small minority), but it does your credibility in
audio terms, no good whatever. I am sure that you sleep well at night,
and smile all the way to the bank.................

Now, to return to the original question, do you have *any* opinions to
offer on, say, the sound of cables? If not, then why the heck are you
editing an 'audiophile' magazine?

"Are you offering a million dollars for proof that an isolation device
can make
an audible difference in a play back system? I'll take that challenge. If
Randi
wishes to challenge the audibility of isolation devices that I use in my
system
I'll happily take the challenge."

Outside of a tt? What do you use/where?
Nousaine

"Harry Lavo" wrote:

On censorship.

I agree with the original poster. If Mr Atkinson did not specifically
distance
himself from questionable statements made in the publication he edits at

the
time of publication it is then unfair to distance himself from them

later.

So should we expect ever editor of every audio magazine to agree with

every
review in their magazines if they don't express a "timely" disagreement

in
print? That once again puts the unreasonable onus on an editor to run

around
and review every product that is reviewed in their publication for
themselves.
If people cannot understand the nature of subjective review magazines

that is
their problem IMO. If I were to purchase a pair of speakers based on one

of
your reviews and found I didn't like them should I hold your editor
responsible?

Sure. But you can also bet your bippy that my Editorial staff questions
anythingI write that appears on its face value to be inconsistent with

what is
known about acoustical sound reproduction in the listening room.

That could also be interpreted as editorial intimidation, to make sure you
followed the "party line".

No it simply is required of editorial integrity. If you'll read my comment
carefully anything "I write that appears on its face value to be inconsistent
with what is
known about acoustical sound reproduction in the listening room." Nobody said
they censor anything. Only that they carefully read everything and question
things that appear to be inconsistent.

That's their JOB. To edit the magazine as to acoustical worth. Not to accept
everything their staff writes without careful review. Besides, unlike review
staffon some other publications I actually even know what wire sound actually
is. IOW nothing.

And the opinion of anybody with a device such as a loudspeaker which has
noticeable response errors in rooms is automatically qualified as a

opinion.
But the "sound" of a stone placed in your listening room or an

interconnecting
cable changing the timing of signals passed through it is more than

opinion
.... its a revision of physics and deserves scutiny EVEN if that's simply

verification of possible affects with even moderate bias controls

implemented.
Or even for a subjectivist it would seem likely that the CEO would

investigate
the sound quality improvements that might be gained with such an

extraordinary
claim.

Your opinion, since nothing but mainstream items are reviewed in Sound &
Vision.

Really. You think a $15000 subwoofer is main stream? Many others do not. Those
expensive projectors and display devices don't seem all that mainstream to me.

Further I think this discussion is useful for potential readers in that

it
is
clear that the magazine is simply a set of often unsubstantiated

opinions
when
challenged the editors will use the "I didn't personally say that"

defense.

What other defense will any editor use when the subjective opinions of

one of
his or her reviewers is challenged?

Oh you mean the "I don't know because I haven't checked it out myself?"

At Sound & Vision the question and the cause is investigated. But then,

when
was the last time you heard "my cables made my bass faster" or another

fanciful
opinion in that publication? Is it because there is technical and

editorial
oversight?

Frankly, I subscribe to Sound & Vision only to find out what is new, and for
their feature lists. I find the magazine slightly useful from a video
standpoint, and virtually useless from a sound standpoint. The reviewer
always reviews one cd, one dvd-a, one sacd which they have just
received/purchased, with no particular listening background, and then
comment on the music, which of course 'always sounds great'. Laughable.
Talk about a magazine cottening to the advertisers!

Sure it does seem that way. I know because every year I have to dig up a new
dvd or cd with superlative bass for my subwoofer comparison. If you'll read the
programs that are listed you'll see that much of the list remains the same from
year to year and I always use a core of reference programs for every evaluation
even if they are always mentioned.

But I don't see where that is any different with any other publication. I
insist on using the same core material for every careful evaluation which keeps
my current with new material but I can't see anything in other magazine reviews
tht suggests program consistency.

In the October issue the pull quote for the As We See It definitively

says
"We
Highly recommend All components listed in "Recommended Components.""

which
must
mean even those components such as cones and isolation devices which are
said
to produce "greater perceived detail and "faster" Bass." Or that produce
sound
that "just tightens up, cleans up, clears up. I hear more low level
information. Imaging improves. Timing too. Transients are crisper. I

hear
improvements in just about every respect."

Well if you want to challenge the audibility of isolation devices I'll
happily
take your money or the million Randi is offering. Just make it worth my
while.

I've offered to allow you to verify your claim of amplifier sound before

but
that wasn't worth the time for you then. What is your price for proving

the
"sound" of any particular item?

For me the cost lay in NOT proving I really hear what my perceptions or

other
enthusiasts tell me. That's exactly why I began controlled testing the

'sound'
of capacitors, amplifiers, cabling, isolation etc a quarter century ago;

maximize the effectiveness of resource deployment in the quest of sound

quality
optimization.

And isn't it convenient to rid your mind of all clutter of uncertainty and
doubt, having again to listen, for all those 25 years!

I don't undestand your point.

And interconnects that "Gave me the color, air, transparency and

liveliness
so enjoy while banishing any and all mechanical/electronic effects,"

None of these few quotes sounds anything like there is any doubt at all
about
any of these dubious claims which have never been publically documented

in
any
replicable experiment.

Nor would any number of quotes from subjective reviews of movies music or
even
food. It's the nature of the beast. Again, for those that don't

understand
the
nature of subjective review the burden is on them to educate themselves.

Please. If that is so why haven't you already conducted and shared the
experimental results of amp amd isolation sound? We are not assessing the

"art"
of sound reproduction, that's certainly subject to debate (I once had a

lively
argument in 1966 in Vietnam about whether "Summer in the City" was better

than
"Satisfaction" but that's not the same as assessing which amplifier does a
better job of delivering the electrical signal to the loudspeaker

terminals
.... the latter is perfectly testable either electrically OR acoustically.

Sorry Charley, but I defy you to "hear" an electrical signal.

I didn't say you could hear an electrical signal without a transducer I said
that the signal being delivered to the loudspeaker terminals could examined
electrically (with test equipment) or acoustcially with a microphone or your
ears

But there is no mention in As We See It that there's
the
slightest doubt that these effects WERE NOT verifiable or HAD NOT been
personally accepted by the Editor of the RCL and the magazine. No
disclaimers.

Was there any mention that the were verifibale or had been personally
accpeted
by the editor? You think a subjective review magazine needs a disclaimer

on
every page?

Only for extraordinary claims.

No. But it should be included for extraordinary claims when the Editor

may
want to walk away from them at a later date claiming "agnosticism."

Only if the editor professes the magazine to be a scientic journal, as
opposed to a subjectivist, hobbiest review magazine.

The RCL professes that every recommended component is "highly" recommended and
"based entirely on performance---ie accuracy of reproduction---" and when
performance is questioned in that regard it seems to me that the editor is
disabusing integrity when he later claims that a product wasn't his 'personal'
recommendation and that he actually has no idea of what it sounds like.

Stereophile does often offer the disclaimer that their reviews
are
subjective and potential buyers should audition any component for

themsleves
before buying.

That's a different argument. The magazine review offered an extraordinary
claim, one that would most likely be questioned later, yet some 8 years

later
the Editor says he has never auditioned them. It seems to me that he is

either
not interested in possible sound quality improvements or, perhaps, that he
never trusted his reviewer or that he was just too lazy. In any case why

would
anybody want to accept anything published in the book as having any value
(except for the measurements.....which can be verified...) because even

when
they are extrordinary claims they are accepted without qualification with

no
technical review and never with verification as to acoustical cause.

And that same magazine is happy to post letters from readers who feel as you
do. That certainly should scare off the culpable.

So IMO it seems entirely likely that the Editor can be considered to

have
personal responsibility for any of the the outrageous claims that he
published
unless he makes a specific disclaimer at the time of original

publication.

You are entitlted to your opinion. Do your editors feel responsible for

all
the
opinions you express in print?

Damn right they do. But then I publish few "opinions."

Censorship and intimidation are then obviously alive and well at Sound &
Vision and Sensible Sound. Everything sounds the same unless proven with a
double blind...well..you know what.

If you think that telling the truth is censorship then I'm all for it :-) By
the way I'm actually quite uncertain as to how you think T$S censors anything.
There are plenty of statements and opinions made there from other contributors
that I think are questionable. But its refreshing that they WON'T censor my
contributions even when I say unpopular things.
Nousaine

(S888Wheel) wrote:
Stereophile: "The Audio World Is Aroused"
From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 12/2/2004 4:49 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote:
Stereophile: "The Audio World Is Aroused"
From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 11/30/2004 3:56 PM Pacific Standard Time
Kalman Rubinson
wrote:

On 28 Nov 2004 23:47:47 GMT,
wrote:

Yes, and it is this very narrow rhetorical device by which Mr. Atkinson
speaks as though being above the question. He did not claim ability to
hear the "stones", but others in the mag did which puts Randi directly

on

the money to include Stereophile in the same box as other
marketing/publishing folk.

Then Randi should challenge with more care and point. Of course, his
demonstrated inability to discern who said exactly what makes that
unlikely.

Kal

[...]

Really? Will they give my mony back? How does one hold them responsible for
your opinions?

To get your money back you employ the return policy of your dealer. Then you
write a letter to ther Editor and/or fail to re-subscribe.

But you can also bet your bippy that my Editorial staff questions
anythingI write that appears on its face value to be inconsistent with what
is
known about acoustical sound reproduction in the listening room.

"what is known" is highly debated. The editorial policies of your
publications
are hardly a model that must be followed by all other publications.

Actually this is not true. But to be more specific; there are many "concepts"
that are held by the high-end community that have never been shown to be
audible either by research OR the manufacurers, distributors or enthusiast.
These include amps/wire/cable/bit/break-in/absolute polarity and odd-tweak
sound.

These issues are only "debated" by people who can't provide any replicable
evidence to show they are even audible let alone improvements in sound quality
performance.

If they
fill a niche fine. Do they actually rpeat your auditions and reject any
reviews
with which they disagree?

No. That's because there's nothing to 'disgaree' with based on content.
However, they do supply lots of syntax and expression editing which always
clarifies, expands and often shortens the copy. Space is a big issue with the
managing editor.

And the opinion of anybody with a device such as a loudspeaker which has
noticeable response errors in rooms is automatically qualified as a opinion.

Any opinion is automatically qualified as opinion.

But the "sound" of a stone placed in your listening room or an
interconnecting
cable changing the timing of signals passed through it is more than opinion

No. it is mere oipion until claimed to be more than an opinion.

But isn't Stereophile just a collection of mostly unverifed opinions in the
first place? However "opinions" that defy or ignore some 30 years of extant
evidence qualify as extraordinary to me. Sure that's my opinion. So what? Who
said otherwise.

.... its a revision of physics and deserves scutiny EVEN if that's simply a
verification of possible affects with even moderate bias controls
implemented.

It is not any claim about physics until stated as such.

Really; so if I make a statement that this new carburetor makes me "feel"like
my mileage is close to 60 mpg wouldn't qualify as a claim that hasn't been
verified by physical evidence?

Or even for a subjectivist it would seem likely that the CEO would
investigate
the sound quality improvements that might be gained with such an
extraordinary
claim.

Should you ever become a CEO you are free to act accordingly. I'm sure Mr.
Atkinson is a busy person. He may not agree with you on this point. That is
his
choice not yours.

Further I think this discussion is useful for potential readers in that it
is
clear that the magazine is simply a set of often unsubstantiated opinions
when
challenged the editors will use the "I didn't personally say that"

defense.

What other defense will any editor use when the subjective opinions of one

of
his or her reviewers is challenged?

How about that other one 'I remain agnostic even though the product was highly
recommended'?

At Sound & Vision the question and the cause is investigated.

Two words, Bedini clarifier.

Meaning?

But then, when
was the last time you heard "my cables made my bass faster" or another
fanciful
opinion in that publication?

I don't recall reading that claim. I tend to not pay much attention to cable
reviews though.

Like Stereophile S&V doesn't usually review cables so we don't "highly
recommend them" So you don't read that kind of drivel in S&V but you do in
Stereophile.

Is it because there is technical and editorial
oversight?

The reasons have been explained to you. The reviewers are free to express
their
opinions of their impressions of equipment they review.

Sure, but when someone says that a cable made his 'bass faster' it certainly
implies a lack of understanding and maybe even misdirection and deserves
investigation.

In the October issue the pull quote for the As We See It definitively says
"We
Highly recommend All components listed in "Recommended Components."" which
must
mean even those components such as cones and isolation devices which are
said
to produce "greater perceived detail and "faster" Bass." Or that produce
sound
that "just tightens up, cleans up, clears up. I hear more low level
information. Imaging improves. Timing too. Transients are crisper. I hear
improvements in just about every respect."

Well if you want to challenge the audibility of isolation devices I'll
happily
take your money or the million Randi is offering. Just make it worth my
while.

Make Randi an offer.

I've offered to allow you to verify your claim of amplifier sound before but
that wasn't worth the time for you then. What is your price for proving the
"sound" of any particular item?

Lets see how many "skeptics" you can get to give up their money on this one.
I'll offer a thousand dollar bet right now that you won't take this
challenge.
The challenge being the audible effects of isolation devices in audio
playback.
I use them, I am confident they have an effect. I'll take any bet you want to
offer over a thousand dollars. anything less is a waste.

So you price is $1000? I'll bet you $1001. Simply drop by at a mutallu
convenient time and I'll arrange the experiment. But, you'll have to agree for
public disclosure of the results following.

For me the cost lay in NOT proving I really hear what my perceptions or

other
enthusiasts tell me. That's exactly why I began controlled testing the
'sound'
of capacitors, amplifiers, cabling, isolation etc a quarter century ago; to
[...]

Who said I have done any such experiments?

What I meant was that if you already 'know' the sound of those things (surely
you didn't rely on uncontrolled listening conditions to gather that evidence
did you? why haven't YOU or some other interested party publicly shared them
other than with just declarations? The high-end industry and magazines are
awaiting results like this so they can shut-up skeptics like me.

We are not assessing the
"art"
of sound reproduction, that's certainly subject to debate (I once had a
lively
argument in 1966 in Vietnam about whether "Summer in the City" was better
than
"Satisfaction" but that's not the same as assessing which amplifier does a
better job of delivering the electrical signal to the loudspeaker terminals
.... the latter is perfectly testable either electrically OR acoustically.

All irrelevant to the nature of subjective review. Many things that are not
art
related are subject to such review. Cars, boats, fishing equipment, golf
clubs
etc. All are subject to subjective review and all opinions stated in such
reviews are just that, opinions.

There are plenty of objective results on cars for instance. And guns. There's
nothing wrong with giving subjective opinions on a vehicle but I'd look with
interest when a evaluator claimed that Car X was faster than Car Y when the
latter had better laptimes or top speed or had identical performance.

But there is no mention in As We See It that there's
the
slightest doubt that these effects WERE NOT verifiable or HAD NOT been
personally accepted by the Editor of the RCL and the magazine. No
disclaimers.

Was there any mention that the were verifibale or had been personally
accpeted
by the editor? You think a subjective review magazine needs a disclaimer on
every page?

Nope. All that would be required is a statement in the preface to the RCL that
the Editor does not personally recommend any product he hasn't heard.

No. But it should be included for extraordinary claims when the Editor may
want to walk away from them at a later date claiming "agnosticism."

You are not the arbitrator of what is and is not "extraordinary." If you wish
to start your own publication and exercise this policy you are free to do so.
Personally I am quite satisfied with the disclaimers in Stereophile as they
stand and have no sympathy for anyone who buys a product based on a review
without first auditioning it for themselves.

I'd never buy a component based on a Stereophile Review of RCL listing simply
because I know in advance that the publication "highly recommends" products
based on 'accuracy of reproduction' which bear no relationship to sound
reproduction.

Stereophile does often offer the disclaimer that their reviews
are
subjective and potential buyers should audition any component for

themsleves
before buying.

That's a different argument.

No.

But regarding the "listening for yourself' idea the publication is un-useful
because they "highly recommend" products for audition which have never been
shown to affect sound. There are some 5 dozen wires that readers may waste
considerable time with audition that simply don't deserve consideration of that
resource deployment.

The magazine review offered an extraordinary
claim,

IYO

one that would most likely be questioned later, yet some 8 years later
the Editor says he has never auditioned them.

The reason has been explained.

It seems to me that he is
either
not interested in possible sound quality improvements or, perhaps, that he
never trusted his reviewer or that he was just too lazy.

Well it seems you are claiming to know what Atkinson is thinking despite what
he says he is thinking. Now that is an extraordinary claim. Would your editor
question this opinion were you to express it in an article?

So you tell me "why" he let a decade slide by without auditioning this
improvement for himself. Choosing instead to remain "agnostic."

Why haven't you?

In any case why
would
anybody want to accept anything published in the book as having any value
(except for the measurements.....which can be verified...) because even when
they are extrordinary claims they are accepted without qualification with no
technical review and never with verification as to acoustical cause.

I don't understand why you cannot see beyond your own biases. That may be
your
comfort zone but it is hardly a universal comfort zone. Some of us have been
quite happy trusting our auditions without the bias of measurements telling
us
what we should and should not prefer.

Who said anything about measurements? What I want is a replicable experiment
that show wires/cables/break-in/bits and any other assorted tweak has an
audible effect that is audible when known listening bias is compensated.

So IMO it seems entirely likely that the Editor can be considered to have
personal responsibility for any of the the outrageous claims that he
published
unless he makes a specific disclaimer at the time of original publication.

You are entitlted to your opinion. Do your editors feel responsible for all
the
opinions you express in print?

Damn right they do. But then I publish few "opinions."

Then they are not really much of a subjective review magazine. Nothing wrong
with that but it's hardly a fair comparison anymore.

Why not? Actually you are right. Sound & Vision is not comparable to
Stereophile. The latter is a technology tag-along clinging to often antique and
out-dated equipment. Sort of like antique car racing, lots of fun for a certain
class of enthusiast but certainly not high performance by modern standards.
Chung

John Atkinson wrote:

Yes, I do believe that some cables can sound different from others,
though my experience has been that the differences are always small in
absolute terms (which does not mean they are unimportant).

Should we assume, then, that you believe every cable listed in
Stereophile's Recommended Components List sounds different than those
(10-cents/ft) Home Depot 12-ga zip-cords or the Radio Shack equivalents?

Should we also assume that you believe those cables that do not make it
to the RCL will sound different?

Should we also assume that you believe those cables on that list sound
different from each other?

And finally, do you have any measurement data that supports your stated
belief? Why is it that Stereophile cable reviews, if I am not mistaken,
are not accompanied by measurements?
Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

[...]

So what happens to the reviewer who has decided that a new set of cables
does sound slightly different? Is he fired? Forced to get a hearing test?
Forced to do a blind test before his review is published? If the philosophy
of the magazine accepts that all is know in the area of acoustic phenomenon
and that cables can't possibly sound different (in any "better" sense), than
any deviation from orthodoxy will be seen as heresy. And in a subjective
review magazine, that level of intimidation is anathema to any
self-respecting journalist.

[...]

They certainly are to those wealthy enough to afford them, and there are
many people in that category today.

Further I think this discussion is useful for potential readers in

that
it
is
clear that the magazine is simply a set of often unsubstantiated

opinions
when
challenged the editors will use the "I didn't personally say that"

defense.

What other defense will any editor use when the subjective opinions of

one of
his or her reviewers is challenged?

Oh you mean the "I don't know because I haven't checked it out myself?"

That was not my statement you are responding to, but an earlier statement by
somebody else, whose attribution you've cut out of the opening to this post.

[...]

I'm not sure what "list" you are referring to here.

But I don't see where that is any different with any other publication. I
insist on using the same core material for every careful evaluation which

keeps
my current with new material but I can't see anything in other magazine

reviews
tht suggests program consistency.

If you follow individual reviewers you will generally be able to ascertain
the music they use as references as well as their individual musical / sound
atrribute preferences. Can't do that at all with Sound & Vision reviews.

[...]

My point, as I understood your point, was that you decided 25 years ago what
did / did not sound different (should / should not be able to sound
different?) and therefore had avoided listening to anything new in those
areas for the last 25 years in order to "maximize the effectiveness of
resource deplyment in the quest for sound quality optimzation". I quess
that means you "know" passive components can't contribute to a different
sound, so better off to review car audio systems?

[...]

You also said you could tell which was "better" by measurement (as well as
by) listening acoustically. At least that appears to be the
implication...."assessing which amplifier does a better job of delivering
the electrical signal to the loudspeaker terminals". Since the goal is the
highest possible realization of simulated reality (experienced subjectively,
which is the only way music happens) it appears that you do believe it all
comes down to measurement.

[...]

You do not think it is possible for the editor to put enough trust in his
reviewers to include an item based on their conclusion, rather than having
to double-check for himself every item to see if he agrees?

[...]

Why should they when your weltanschauung jibes so closely with the
magazine's editorial philosophy as evolved over the years. Certainly some
of their writers express opinions, but they generally are in the area of
features and "bang for the buck" rather than in attributing any great
difference in sound to an item. At least that has been my impression as I
have dipped into and out of the magazine over many years (I frankly find
most issues boring and only occasionally buy a newsstand copy if it covers
an item I have a potential interest in).

S888Wheel

From: (Bob Marcus)
Date: 12/5/2004 4:30 PM Pacific Standard Time
(John Atkinson) wrote in message

However, as I didn't feel I pulled any punches in what I wrote, I _am_
surprised that several people bought Wavac amplifiers after reading the
Stereophile review, according to the US importer.

If you ran a review that said, "This is the worst piece of s**t we
have ever heard," people would buy it based solely on the fact that
Stereophile deemed it worthy of review. (Objectivists aren't the only
ones who don't actually read the reviews!)

I doubt it. I have heard from dealers that negative reviews in Sreeophile or
The Absolute Sound tend to hurt sales. So It would seem that there is some
influence if the dealers I that told me this were correct.

But that's not what "Stereophile said" about the Wavac at all. The
reviewer (Fremer?) praised it to the hilt--new vistas of sonic
realism, or some such twaddle.

Hmmm should he have lied about his experience with these amps?

Whereas the bad stuff was confined to
that technical box that many readers probably think of as the
footnotes.

Maybe. It is amazing what a low opinion so many have of Stereophile readers
though. They are so brainwashed they buy 300,000 dollar amps just because they
got a review in Stereophile even if it were negative because they don't bother
to read the reviews but if they do they ignore the technical stuff. Jeez.
Personally I would not feel much sympathy for such a consumer. I'm not sure why
so many on RAHE are worried about such a person.

(And just out of curiosity, where did the Wavac wind up on
the latest RCL?)

Now, I give you credit for actually measuring the thing and showing us
the unvarnished truth about it. But your comment above suggests to me
that you have a higher opinion of at least a segment of your readers
(the very rich, very stupid ones) than they deserve.

normanstrong

If I were the editor of a magazine--even a magazine of subjective
opinion like Stereophile--and one of my writers stated that putting a
rock on his speaker improved the sound, I'm sure the pointer of my BS
meter would at least wiggle. I certainly wouldn't let that article
appear in my magazine without personally checking the sonic effects of
said rock. There has to be some point where the editor says "Hey,
wait a minute here."

I think the editor of Stereophile failed this basic requirement.

Norm Strong
Steven Sullivan

Nousaine wrote:

[...]

And of course, if audible differences between digital playback devices are
rare and/or tiny , then one *would* expect most reviews to say much the same
thing about the 'sound' of the devices, especially when the same source
CDs are used.
Michael McKelvy

From: "Michael McKelvy"
So should we expect ever editor of every audio magazine to agree with
every
review in their magazines if they don't express a "timely" disagreement
in
print?

On the controversial ones like magic rocks, YES.

And who is the in house arbitrator on what is and is not contraversial at
Stereophile?

Apparently nobody. If a claim that any sort of device like A Shakti Stone
or Mpingo Disk can improve the sound of an audio system is not a
controversial claim, then what on earth is?

That once again puts the unreasonable onus on an editor to run around
and review every product that is reviewed in their publication for
themselves.

I don't see anybody asking for that, just a bit of oversight to keep the
reviewers from looking stupid and giving the publication a bad name.

What exactly constitutes a "bit of oversight?"

When a device that seems to have no basis in science for the results any
reviewer claims to hear, it should be examined by competent technical
personell. Checking for a change in FR would be a minimum.

Surel
tweeks would be something anyone interested in good audio would want to
investigate if for nothing more than pure selfish pleasure.

All of them?

The ones that get reviewed.

If people cannot understand the nature of subjective review magazines
that
is
their problem IMO.

The problem is that people do understand the nature of subjective review
magazines.

You are speaking for "people?" Who do you know that does not understand
the
nature of subjective reviews?

I couldn't put a precise number on it, but I have met several people who
believe things about audio they read in SP that are true.

Do they still list the Green Ink tweak as effective for CD's?

If I were to purchase a pair of speakers based on one of
your reviews and found I didn't like them should I hold your editor
responsible?

Not if you are reasonably aquainted with the differences that speakers
make.
Not if you are reasonably aware of how much difference there are between
different speakers.

That doesn't make sense.

Of course it does. I don't know anybody who doesn't understand that
speakers make the biggest single difference to an audio system and the
differences between them are often very easy to hear.

Nobody is asking for consensus of opinion, just that there be some
legitmate
basis for that opinion when it comes to really controversial products like
magic rocks and wooden disks.

If people are so upset with Stereophile they should simply not purchase
it.

If they gave more substantive information on the controversial things, they
might very well increase their subscriber base. At the very least they
could be assured thy weren't responible for promoting snake oil.

Further I think this discussion is useful for potential readers in that
it
is
clear that the magazine is simply a set of often unsubstantiated
opinions
when
challenged the editors will use the "I didn't personally say that"
defense.

What other defense will any editor use when the subjective opinions of
one
of
his or her reviewers is challenged?

That other people could hear the same changes or that frequency response
measurements confirmed something real was going on. You know, evidence.

Well that is not going to happen. Even the so called objective magazines
do not
do this with all or even many of their reviews.

But they would never review a Shakti Stone or other device that claimis to
alter the sound without technical data, including FR.

And interconnects that "Gave me the color, air, transparency and
liveliness I
so enjoy while banishing any and all mechanical/electronic effects,"

None of these few quotes sounds anything like there is any doubt at all
about
any of these dubious claims which have never been publically documented
in
any
replicable experiment.

Nor would any number of quotes from subjective reviews of movies music
or
even
food.

Because those are ENTIRELY subjective.

So are the subjective opinions of audio reviews.

Audio has specific criteria and
things that can be measured to see if they are true.

So do cars and boats and many other things. Ultimately the opinion of
performance does rely on actual use. Opinions will vary.

Do automobile review magazine reviewers tell you something will improve or
alter the performance of a vehcile without providing the technical specs to
show how?

It's the nature of the beast. Again, for those that don't understand the
nature of subjective review the burden is on them to educate themselves.

That appears to be the problem, they have educated themselves and are
aware.

That doesn't make sense either. How is *that* a problem?

I beleive it costs them credibilty and subscribers. It certainly cost them
my subscription. After reading about Mpingos I'd had it.

But there is no mention in As We See It that there's
the
slightest doubt that these effects WERE NOT verifiable or HAD NOT been
personally accepted by the Editor of the RCL and the magazine. No
disclaimers.

Was there any mention that they were verifibale or had been personally
accpeted
by the editor?

Why wouldn't someone interested in sound quality wish to investigate
something that was alleged to make an improvement?

Why haven't you investigated *everything* that has been claimed to make an
improvement? Or have you?

Not the ones that clearly have no basis in fact. That's not entirely true,
I have done a CD with Green ink comparison in order to show a freind what
utter bull**** it was.

You think a subjective review magazine needs a disclaimer on
every page? Stereophile does often offer the disclaimer that their
reviews
are
subjective and potential buyers should audition any component for
themsleves
before buying.

In the case of something as outrageous as the claims made for Shakti
stones,
they should have some sort of verifiable evidence that something occured
somewhere aside from the in the MIND of the reviewer.

IYO.

As a matter of intellectual honesty.

The kind of
improvements claimed should be easily verifiable with FR measurements.

IYO

In point of fact.

Tom Nousaine of The Sensible Sound, Sound & Vision, and The
Audio Critic wrote:
[Stereophile's "Recommended Components" list] professes that every
recommended component is "highly" recommended and "based entirely
on performance---ie accuracy of reproduction---" and when
performance is questioned in that regard it seems to me that the
editor is disabusing integrity when he later claims that a product
wasn't his 'personal' recommendation and that he actually has no
idea of what it sounds like.

Sigh...if you read Stereophile as thoroughly as you claim, Mr.
Nousaine, you will note that I have written on a number of occasions,
both in the magazine and on the newsgroups, that the products included
in the listing are included because of the advocacy of one or more
of my writing team, not because I _personally_ recommend them.

And as I have pointed out to you now repeatedly, by you insisting
that only products _I_ have experienced should be recommended in
Stereophile, you appear to want to hold me to a higher standard than
the editors of the magazines to which you contribute. I have direct
experience of a greater proportion of the products reviewed in my
magazine that do the editors of the magzines for which you write, yet
that is not sufficient for you.

If you think that telling the truth is censorship then I'm all for
it :-)

As has been pointed out, Mr Nousaine, your "truth" is another's
opinion. This is a very revealing statement of yours, smiley
emoticon or not.

I'm actually quite uncertain as to how you think [The Sensible
Sound] censors anything. There are plenty of statements and
opinions made there from other contributors that I think are
questionable. But [it's] refreshing that they WON'T censor my
contributions even when I say unpopular things.

That reflects well on Karl Nehring, Mr. Nousaine. I am sorry you
don't wish to extend to me the same liberty for which you compliment
Mr. Nehring regarding the opinions that are published in Stereophile.

But as I have said, you are hardly a disinterested party in
this debate.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Of course it does. I don't know anybody who doesn't understand that
speakers make the biggest single difference to an audio system...

Then you need to get out more. Lots of audiophiles apparently believe
in the garbage-in-garbage-out theory, which holds that the speakers are
the LEAST important link in the chain. (This theory was first
propounded by a turntable manufacturer, I believe.)

bob

Bob Marcus wrote:
The reviewer [Michael Fremer] praised [the Wavac] to the hilt--new
vistas of sonic realism, or some such twaddle. Whereas the bad stuff
was confined to that technical box that many readers probably think
of as the footnotes.

With respect, Mr. Marcus, while you, of course, welcome to define a
"review" in Stereophile as the subjective impressions minus the
measurements, that is not correct. The review that I was referring to
was the _complete_ review, subjective experience and measurements,
and that is how I believe my readers define it also (according to the
feedback I receive).

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Michael McKelvy

wrote in message ...
Michael McKelvy wrote:

Of course it does. I don't know anybody who doesn't understand that
speakers make the biggest single difference to an audio system...

Then you need to get out more. Lots of audiophiles apparently believe
in the garbage-in-garbage-out theory, which holds that the speakers are
the LEAST important link in the chain. (This theory was first
propounded by a turntable manufacturer, I believe.)

bob

Lots of audiophiles claim they believe things for which there is not a shred
of proof. I tend to run with a better crowd IMO. I believe it's pretty
hard to find any component these days, that qualifies as "garbage," other
than SET amps.

Typical audio gear has specs that render them essentially perfect in their
reproduction of the signal passing through them. Now, you can argue that
much of today's popular music is garbage, and I'd be willing to agree. I
tend to prefer classics whether rock or symphonic works by the masters.
After that, my ears seem to go for the works from smaller indie labels, many
of which I was introduced to by CD review magazine and their sampler disks.

Currently listening to Les Sabler's "Theme X".
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
Michael McKelvy wrote:

Of course it does. I don't know anybody who doesn't understand that
speakers make the biggest single difference to an audio system...

Then you need to get out more. Lots of audiophiles apparently believe
in the garbage-in-garbage-out theory, which holds that the speakers are
the LEAST important link in the chain. (This theory was first
propounded by a turntable manufacturer, I believe.)

bob

Linn, to be exact. And that was 25 years ago. Once again, you give no
credit to the average audiophile to have educated himself since then.

Nousaine

"Harry Lavo" wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo"
wrote:

[...]

Ask the Editors. My guess is that an article that contains opinion stated as
fact wouldn't get published. You seem to think that if a contributor or staff
of Discover were to say that he thought that dowsing was an effective way to
find water or that it was certain that Alien Abductions were a real phenomen
without some backing evidence that it would be intimidation if someone were to
ask for some additional support.

It seems to me more likely that evaluators in Subjective Audio Opinion
magazines may be more subject to intimidation when they don't profess enough
Faith in Audio Legends.

[...]

Using that criterion I guess $1000 speaker cables and $10,000 amplifiers are
mainstream too.

Further I think this discussion is useful for potential readers in

that
it
is
clear that the magazine is simply a set of often unsubstantiated
opinions
when
challenged the editors will use the "I didn't personally say that"
defense.

What other defense will any editor use when the subjective opinions of
one of
his or her reviewers is challenged?

Oh you mean the "I don't know because I haven't checked it out myself?"

That was not my statement you are responding to, but an earlier statement by
somebody else, whose attribution you've cut out of the opening to this post.

Sorry

[...]

In the subwoofer case its the list of programs published in the Subwoofer
Comparion that were used for the evaluation (September 2004.)

But I don't see where that is any different with any other publication. I
insist on using the same core material for every careful evaluation which

keeps
my current with new material but I can't see anything in other magazine

reviews
tht suggests program consistency.

If you follow individual reviewers you will generally be able to ascertain
the music they use as references as well as their individual musical / sound
atrribute preferences. Can't do that at all with Sound & Vision reviews.

I'd guess that's true. In this case the Editorial staff always wants newer and
exciting program material. In every listening evaluation I do, I use a selected
set of 63 program segments to maintain core material for all productin addition
to some newer, current programs.

[...]

Holy Cow .... what about the statement "That's exactly why I began controlled
testing the'sound'
of capacitors, amplifiers, cabling, isolation etc a quarter century ago;" says
that I did all the investigation 25 years ago? And what's wrong with Car Audio
systems. In many respects they are often superior to some mega-Buck high-end
systems.

[...]

Sure. But the point high-enders want to conveniently forget is that when an
amplifier or systems delivers an electrical signal to the speaker terminals
that is identical to the input signal except for gain there is no other
possible way to improve or degrade it.

At least that appears to be the
implication...."assessing which amplifier does a better job of delivering
the electrical signal to the loudspeaker terminals". Since the goal is the
highest possible realization of simulated reality (experienced subjectively,
which is the only way music happens) it appears that you do believe it all
comes down to measurement.

For the electrical part of it this is true. If the electrical input signal from
from the media is delivered to the speaker terminals exactly save for gain
there can be NO way that it is better or worse than any other device that can
do the same thing.

For the acoustical part there are so many departures from the input signal that
are delivered to the eardrum and through the body from the input signal that
there is very little liklihood that any transduced will sound exaclty like any
other one. And even when they do; if they're not in the same location even them
the acoustical signal delivered to the listener will vary.

[...]

Don't read them then.

Nousaine

Audio Critic wrote:
[Stereophile's "Recommended Components" list] professes that every
recommended component is "highly" recommended and "based entirely
on performance---ie accuracy of reproduction---" and when
performance is questioned in that regard it seems to me that the
editor is disabusing integrity when he later claims that a product
wasn't his 'personal' recommendation and that he actually has no
idea of what it sounds like.

Sigh...if you read Stereophile as thoroughly as you claim, Mr.
Nousaine, you will note that I have written on a number of occasions,
both in the magazine and on the newsgroups, that the products included
in the listing are included because of the advocacy of one or more
of my writing team, not because I _personally_ recommend them.

So then they are "highly recommended" but you will not stand behind them when
they are questioned. Of course, I guess when I look at the variety of opinion
stated as fact and the strong endorsement of notions that can only be
classified as audio legend it is not hard to understand why you haven't used
every recommended product because there are so many, each of which sounds
different from all the others, it seems surprising that anyone at Stereophile
has managed to put together a reference system at all with any confidence. You
dance the rhetorical waltz quite well.

And as I have pointed out to you now repeatedly, by you insisting
that only products _I_ have experienced should be recommended in
Stereophile, you appear to want to hold me to a higher standard than
the editors of the magazines to which you contribute. I have direct
experience of a greater proportion of the products reviewed in my
magazine that do the editors of the magzines for which you write, yet
that is not sufficient for you.

I'm not holding you to any special standard. I've merely asked why you hadn't
bothered to chase down more of the recommended accessory products because they
are all highly recommedned and so many of them offer specific sound quality
improvements.

That you haven't personally tried them all isn't an issue. What is an issue is
that you'll publish a positive assessment of what appears to be an
extraordinary or even an unusual one and then walk away from it by claiming
agnosticism.

If you think that telling the truth is censorship then I'm all for
it :-)

As has been pointed out, Mr Nousaine, your "truth" is another's
opinion. This is a very revealing statement of yours, smiley
emoticon or not.

Actually none of this is "my" truth. I refer to sound quality aspects that have
been verified as to having a known effect on acoustical performance and those
which have been merely speculated as having sonic impact but never verified as
having such. You seem to assume that every opinion must be accepted as audio
truth just you and your staff says so. If you'd supply even a modest effort to
verify some of them that would be a great start.

I'm actually quite uncertain as to how you think [The Sensible
Sound] censors anything. There are plenty of statements and
opinions made there from other contributors that I think are
questionable. But [it's] refreshing that they WON'T censor my
contributions even when I say unpopular things.

That reflects well on Karl Nehring, Mr. Nousaine. I am sorry you
don't wish to extend to me the same liberty for which you compliment
Mr. Nehring regarding the opinions that are published in Stereophile.

I have no power to extend you any liberty.You have no need for my approval. And
I don't require yours when expressing my opinion and describing what I see in
print.

But as I have said, you are hardly a disinterested party in
this debate.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

So what? My subscription was paid for with the same color money as any other
subsciber and there wasn't a "no opinion" clause written on the credit card
slip.

Harry Lavo wrote:

Lots of audiophiles apparently believe
in the garbage-in-garbage-out theory, which holds that the speakers

are
the LEAST important link in the chain. (This theory was first
propounded by a turntable manufacturer, I believe.)

bob

Linn, to be exact. And that was 25 years ago. Once again, you give

no
credit to the average audiophile to have educated himself since then.

I don't know who the average audiophile is, or how many of them there
are. I do know that this argument is made with some frequency on other
discussion boards.

bob
Michael McKelvy

wrote in message
Bob Marcus wrote:
The reviewer [Michael Fremer] praised [the Wavac] to the hilt--new
vistas of sonic realism, or some such twaddle. Whereas the bad stuff
was confined to that technical box that many readers probably think
of as the footnotes.

With respect, Mr. Marcus, while you, of course, welcome to define a
"review" in Stereophile as the subjective impressions minus the
measurements, that is not correct. The review that I was referring to
was the _complete_ review, subjective experience and measurements,
and that is how I believe my readers define it also (according to the
feedback I receive).

The WAVAC review was a mish-mash of subjective impressions in flagrant
contradiction of the measurements, but there were at least measurements.

Things like Shakti Stones which don't have any reason whatsoever to cause
any effect on audio playback, deserve to at a minimum have measurements of
before and after their "installation."

Being as I am not nearly alone in my finding it rather odd that such a
review could make it into the pages of any magazine about audio, it's even
odder that it could make it there with no measurement of any kind and with
no comment on those measurements.

I don't believe anyone here begrudges anyone else the enjoyment of whatever
means one chooses to employ to derive pleasure from their audio experience.
I also don't believe that it would cause you magazine to suffer if you at a
minimum, included frequency response data on every device or tweak that gets
a review. Not only is it the right thing to do integrity wise,
information-wise, and other-wise, it can only help with circulation.
Advertisers go where the readers are.

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo"
wrote:

[...]

As long as there is reasonable objective means of testing a hypothesis vs.
opinion, I would agree with you. Dousing seems verifiable. Alien Abduction
not so, but it is reasonable to assume unlikely with some circumstantial
conditions verifiable. But that is quite different from subjective
evaluation of audio components playing music. You seem to forget that the
experiencing of music is itself a subjective phenomenon...there is no
"objective" impression of music being reproduced or that can be used for
verification...it is all ultimately an interpretation by the ear/brain
conjunction, and a very complex one at that.

It seems to me more likely that evaluators in Subjective Audio Opinion
magazines may be more subject to intimidation when they don't profess

enough
Faith in Audio Legends.

I doubt it.

&
Vision.

Really. You think a $15000 subwoofer is main stream? Many others do

not.
Those
expensive projectors and display devices don't seem all that mainstream

me.

They certainly are to those wealthy enough to afford them, and there are
many people in that category today.

Using that criterion I guess $1000 speaker cables and $10,000 amplifiers

are
mainstream too.

Yep, for many people in this hobby they are.

[...]

Apology accepted, thanks.

[...]

Yes, I give you credit for that. But it is not typical of the average Sound
& Vision component review, which pretty much goes as I have stated.

[...]

Good for you.

[...]

What I meant was, having reached a conclusion way back that these things
didn't affect sound, you stopped testing them. Thereby forgoing the
possibility that other, different testing or better, different components
might reveal differences. Do you think those designers who spend hours
trying out passive components and "voicing" their systems are simply kidding
themselves and wasting time?

Take a listen to an HK Citation 14 sometime versus a well-designed, more
modern tuner of the mid-eighties...say a Carver TX-11. They sound virtually
identical (and very good)...except for the slight gray haze and thickness
that the HK is saddled with in the lower midrange on down..that also reduces
depth. *That* is the sound of the components used through the early '70's
versus the low-noise resistors and poly- capacitors used since. IMO, of
course. I've listen to other similar comparisons...vintage tube amps before
and after recapping, etc. Again, high-end audio is about subtleties...these
decade-apart differences were not subtle as they represented a sea-change,
but between brands and types of capacitors in particular there do seem to be
subtle differences, at least to the designers. Who generally listen with
the highest possible quality gear.

[...]

No answer??

[...]

:-)
[...]

I usually don't, I skim the index.
Michael McKelvy

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo"
wrote:

[...]

But there is the signal that comes from the media. You casn compare the
source signal to the the signal that makes it to the speaker terminals. If
they are the same, then all that's left is the speakers and the room. This
really is the last frontier for audio and I beleive that will be fixed by
auto EQ in the digital domain.

...it is all ultimately an interpretation by the ear/brain
conjunction, and a very complex one at that.

These days that clearly has more to do with the speakers and the room, as
opposed to the electronics. It certainly has absolutely nothing to do with
Shakti Stones, power cords, grren pens, or Clarifiers. Those things are
fraud and should be treated as such, both by law enforcement and by the
audio press. That they are discussed in other terms is really amazing and
sad.

They don't worry about ****ing off advertisers?

[...]

If the whole hobby is about one's subjective impression of the equipment's
sound, then why bother having anybody give one in a review, since it won't
be the same for the nmext person? All one really needs is a good breakdown
of the technical specs and build quailty, after that it's up to each
person's ears.

[...]

I don't think that notion holds true, at least form what I've seen Tom
write.
It just seems that after you get the same results every time, you get the
idea that there's a pattern.

Thereby forgoing the
possibility that other, different testing or better, different components
might reveal differences. Do you think those designers who spend hours
trying out passive components and "voicing" their systems are simply
kidding
themselves and wasting time?

Mostly they are trying to solve other problems like using less components
and making something for less money that will do the same job. I have yet to
talk to an EE that thought there were sound quailty issues that were still
audible and needed to be solved by any other means than speakers and
multi-channel setups.

[...]

If you test caps in speakers, you find that if the capacitance is right and
the voltage sufficent, it won't make any audible difference what kind of cap
is used.

[...]

As Tom states above, what can be done to improve on a straight wire with
gain? Speakers and rooms, that's it.

[...]

Which is not something the electronics can fix.

[...]

The answer is, that when a reviewer praises something that appears to defy
the laws of physics, it should be subject to appropriate measurement,
something lacking from the Shakti Stone review.

Stereophile does often offer the disclaimer that their reviews
are
subjective and potential buyers should audition any component for
themsleves
before buying.

Then why do they include measurements at all on anything?

[...]

There is no logical reason why an editor or anybody on the staff of an audio
magazine about audio would not WANT to test such a simple tweak as a Shakti
Stone appears to be. I would expect the staff to be fighting for a place in
line to audition such a thing. That is the idea of such magazines after
all, to find things that make your listening better, and the best of all
worlds would be something simple to implement.
Nousaine

"Harry Lavo" wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message
..

.....snips to specific content....
..
"Harry Lavo"
wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo"
wrote:

[...]

Who says anything about non-subjective experience. With sound quality
reproduction we are not talking about musical or performance interpretation we
are talking about evaluation of the quality of reproduced sound, none of which
actually has to be "music". Sure its a complex process but when an acoustical
signal is delivered to the human apparatus through an audio system all the
interpretation occurs by the subject. So if I can deliver the same electrical
signal to the loudspeaker terminals under any set of conditions there is no way
that it can differ acoustically when it leaves the loudspeakers (which leaves
out cable and amp sound) except by acoustical treatments of which there is no
known device of small size that has been shown to have a significant acoustical
effect (save for ear muffs.)

[...]

So what is your point? That S&V is of no value because it includes main stream
products? I don't think the book is fault free but your definition of
mainstream seems to move with the argument.

[...]

Sure but that doesn't differ significantly from high-end publications as far as
I can see. I think that practically every publication has a problem with
continuity of program material ... few reviews are conducted with the same
programs, in roughly the same order.

[...]

My last passive component experiment was conducted in the mid-90s.And, yes IME
few enthusiasts spend 'hours' voicing systems with passive components. And,
yes, I've never seen a single passive component of a given value that had an
audibility problem. For example at a PSACS meeting we conducted an experiment
where a passive all-pass filter was made using Radio Shack carbon resisitors
and blister-pak electrolytics was inaudible compared to a wire-bypass at the
headphone jack of a Bryston 2B.

Take a listen to an HK Citation 14 sometime versus a well-designed, more
modern tuner of the mid-eighties...say a Carver TX-11. They sound virtually
identical (and very good)...except for the slight gray haze and thickness
that the HK is saddled with in the lower midrange on down..that also reduces
depth. *That* is the sound of the components used through the early '70's
versus the low-noise resistors and poly- capacitors used since. IMO, of
course. I've listen to other similar comparisons...vintage tube amps before
and after recapping, etc. Again, high-end audio is about subtleties...these
decade-apart differences were not subtle as they represented a sea-change,
but between brands and types of capacitors in particular there do seem to be
subtle differences, at least to the designers. Who generally listen with
the highest possible quality gear.

OK so assuming thatyou've now found that passive components of the 70s (which
are now 30 years old as well) have been improved? What does that have to do
with modern high performance products. Loudspeakers have gotten better (even
the soft and steel parts, too) too. So what?

[...]

Asked and answered before. Only for items that appear to have dubious sound
quality implications. But you make a good sideways point. There are apparently
so MANY of these types of sonic claims that it might be impossible to even
verify a small number of them .... but then practically ALL of them appear to
be highly recommended because nearly 100% of the products reviewed (and many
that are not reviewed) appear in the RCL. and when was the last time that any
review ever said that they thought that a given item sounded the same as any
other product?

With the confluence of electronic design and fabrication and the 6-9s QC it
seems likely that some products do sound the same it appears tonbme that
signifcant sound quality difference between product in a given function class
would most likely be due to poor design or poor QC. It appears that if every
product tested sounds different from every other item in that functional class
then there are some pretty poor performers in that crowd. Especially for
accessories. Exactly how does one manage to design a shelf or interconnect that
changes sound ... except one that reduces quality.

[...]

Harry Lavo

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo"
wrote:

[...]

Three points in reply:

1. If by "comparing the source signal" you mean by listening, this "buy's"
the assumption that rigorous test measures exist that do not destroy the
very essence of what is supposedly being tested. Some of us challenge that
assumption, and have stated our reasons here before. Any component in the
chain has the "potential" (whatever you think of the probability) to alter
the signal in subtle ways that may affect the level of "suspense disbelief"
or "perception of reality". If our measure tools mask or distort some of
these sublties as perceived by the human ear/brain combine, then we can be
fooling ourselves in the very act of testing.

2. If by "comparing the source signal" you mean by measuring it, then you
require a very large set of tests to measure every conceivable effect on the
perceived sound quality conveyed by the signal. And there does not yet seem
to be universal acceptance even by engineers as to what the relative
importance and audibilty of some of the more esoteric phenomena might be.

2. The signal doesn't "get to" the speaker...it has to be measured in
conjunction with how it interacts with the speaker. And this interaction
alone can color the sound...and is affected by amp, cable, and speaker
design as you well know.

..it is all ultimately an interpretation by the ear/brain
conjunction, and a very complex one at that.

These days that clearly has more to do with the speakers and the room, as
opposed to the electronics. It certainly has absolutely nothing to do

with
Shakti Stones, power cords, grren pens, or Clarifiers. Those things are
fraud and should be treated as such, both by law enforcement and by the
audio press. That they are discussed in other terms is really amazing and
sad.

Seems to me fraud is a very large charge, unless you have done the testing
and peer-reviewed publishing of results that "disprove" the item, either
it's specific claims, or the measured performance of the other component(s)
directly affected by the "tweek".

It seems to me more likely that evaluators in Subjective Audio Opinion
magazines may be more subject to intimidation when they don't profess

enough
Faith in Audio Legends.

I doubt it.

They don't worry about ****ing off advertisers?

Not if they tell the truth as they see it. TAS ran an article comparing two
dozen cables and said most sounded the same and those that differed did in
very small ways.

Stereophile runs Atkinson's measurements, good, bad, or indifferent and its
columnists judements good, bad, or indifferent about certain aspects of
performance.

[...]

Been stated here before many times. If you read a mag regularly, and the
reveiwer is good, you get to know his/her biases and approach to evaluating
sound, as well as the accurcy and specificity of what he/she says compared
to your own impressions. Over time, you learn to judge
accordingly...reviewer X says this, you'd probably find it credible and
agree; reviewer Y says that, don't know him very well, interesting but
suspend judgement; reviewer Z says that again, he tends to like thinks that
you think sound too bright, so discount that. Etc. Etc.

All you use the reviews for is to develop a mental list of products and
brands you might be interested in, now or in the future, and what seems over
time to be happening to the state of the art. And for a "good read" or
entertainment value. That's it. No big issue... except to those of the
group who think every magazine should be a Consumer Reports.

[...]

Well, that's what Tom seemed to say...he was freeing up his resources for
other things. You don't free up resources unless you stop.

Thereby forgoing the
possibility that other, different testing or better, different

components
might reveal differences. Do you think those designers who spend hours
trying out passive components and "voicing" their systems are simply
kidding
themselves and wasting time?

Mostly they are trying to solve other problems like using less components
and making something for less money that will do the same job. I have yet

talk to an EE that thought there were sound quailty issues that were still
audible and needed to be solved by any other means than speakers and
multi-channel setups.

It certainly is less true today than it was 25 years ago, when passive parts
issues first came to the fore. Trickle down seems alive and well, which is
one reason moderately priced components today using less that top-priced
internals can rival the more expensive gear and outperform or at least equal
some of the best gear from the not-so-distant past.

[...]

I'm talking caps in electronics, and twenty-five years ago it most certainly
did, regardless of what Tom concluded.

[...]

So long as you view the testing method as beyond reproach. I don't, so I
don't buy the "straight wire with gain", especially as applied to systems.

[...]

Don't know whose quote you are referring to; it's not mine. Mine started
this segment but only the first few lines.

[...]

Obviously to show how well engineered they are in conventional terms, as a
supplement to the auditioning.

[...]

Perhaps because they consider it so fringe as not to interest most people,
and therefore not devoting time and energy to it. Which would be high in
many cases, since no existing test protocol would exist and different kinds
of tests would have to be tried / evaluated in an attempt to "get a handle".
Harry Lavo

On 9 Dec 2004 01:09:34 GMT, wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:

Lots of audiophiles apparently believe
in the garbage-in-garbage-out theory, which holds that the speakers

are
the LEAST important link in the chain. (This theory was first
propounded by a turntable manufacturer, I believe.)

Linn, to be exact. And that was 25 years ago. Once again, you give no
credit to the average audiophile to have educated himself since then.

I don't know who the average audiophile is, or how many of them there
are. I do know that this argument is made with some frequency on other
discussion boards.

Strictly speaking, it was coined in nthe computer industry, Linn just
picked it up in order to sell expensive turntables. While the theory
is of course true, and hence is a fair argument poer se, a false
financial implication is often made by so-called 'high enders'.

Unless you are still using vinyl, the reality is that there is no
system budget implication in GIGO, since top-class input signals all
the way to your speaker terminals may be obtained for less than
$1,000. Certainly, it makes no sonic sense to spend more than $1,000
on the source component, when absolutely state of the art 'universal'
players from Denon and Pioneer cost less than this.

Except for the inconvenient fact that many high end reviewers don't consider
them state-of-the-art CD players. Whether this perception is accurate or
not I personally don't know.
Chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

You would find that your pursuit of accurate audio reproduction is
significantly hindered if you placed faith on "high-end" reviews. The
endorsements we have seen on the WAVAC amp, the cables, the stones, the
green pens should have pointed to you that the emperor wears no clothes,
most of the time.

Read those subjective reviews for entertainment, not for technical
accuracy. Whether the high-end reviewer considered a piece of gear
state-of-the-art is of absolutely no concen to anyone interested in the
pursuit of accurate audio reproduction, i.e., hi-fi.
Harry Lavo

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

It is reason enough to pause and listen for yourself. That's all. Rather
than blindly accept Stewart's judgment (let's face it, when you call
something "state-of-the-art" you are making a judgment, even if basing it on
measurements. And frankly, high-end equipment has to be evaluated on sound
as well as measurement. So unless Stewart is prepared to publish a
peer-reviewed dbt of these two units versus say the Levinson combo, or the
Linn player, or the new UA universal, then it is simply his opinion..one
among many, many of whom do not agree.
Chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Well, you seem to think that the high-end reviews carry a lot more
weight. As you put it, you felt it was "inconvenient" to rate a piece of
gear highly if the high-end reviewers don't consider it
state-of-the-art. My point is that as far as opinions go, the high-end
reviewers are often not to be trusted at all, and you're better off
discarding the subjective reviews from Stereophile altogether. In fact,
given what we have read, I would not buy anything Stereophile reviewers
consider state-of-the-art, simply because it is likely to be way
over-priced with questionable or simply average performance.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 11 Dec 2004 16:11:05 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Unless you are still using vinyl, the reality is that there is no
system budget implication in GIGO, since top-class input signals all
the way to your speaker terminals may be obtained for less than
$1,000. Certainly, it makes no sonic sense to spend more than $1,000
on the source component, when absolutely state of the art 'universal'
players from Denon and Pioneer cost less than this.

Except for the inconvenient fact that many high end reviewers don't consider
them state-of-the-art CD players. Whether this perception is accurate or
not I personally don't know.

It's accurate, based on the facts that they don't cost enough and
don't carry the correct 'high end' badges.................

They do however contain the very latest high-performance audio and
video components, and certainly do represent the state of the art in
digital sources.

[...]

'State of the art' is a technical observation, and readily verifiable
by the device's use of the latest available technology. Frankly, it's
not likely to sound any different from any other good CD player,
regardless of the wild imaginings of ragazine reviewers!

When *you* can publish a peer-reviewed DBT which shows that any but
the most basic CD players *do* sound different, then you may develop
some credibility. Until then, perhaps we should go with common sense,
and follow the numbers.......................

Audio Critic wrote:
[Stereophile's "Recommended Components" list] professes that
every recommended component is "highly" recommended and "based
entirely on performance---ie accuracy of reproduction---" and
when performance is questioned in that regard it seems to me that
the editor is disabusing integrity when he later claims that a
product wasn't his 'personal' recommendation and that he actually
has no idea of what it sounds like.

Sigh...if you read Stereophile as thoroughly as you claim, Mr.
Nousaine, you will note that I have written on a number of
occasions, both in the magazine and on the newsgroups, that the
products included in the listing are included because of the
advocacy of one or more of my writing team, not because I
_personally_ recommend them.

So then they are "highly recommended" but you will not stand
behind them when they are questioned.

Of course I stand behind those recommendations, both legally and
intellectually. I have said so both in the magazine and on the
newsgroups. But I see no reason to take part in tests of my
abilities to hear differences imparted by such products when I
personally have no opinion on or experiene of them. Particularly
when the challenge to do so is issued by someone like the Amazing
Randi whom, it has been documented, has admitted faking the test
data for other tests. Particularly when the challenge has been
issued by someone who has misrepresented what I have said and
done, misattributed me with things I never wrote, refused to
publish corrections, then gone back on his word that he was not
going to publish anything more on a subject that he felt his
readers were "weary" of.

Given a game involving such a loaded dice, Mr. Nousaine, you
appear to want to discount that inconvenient fact.

And as I have pointed out to you now repeatedly, by you
insisting that only products _I_ have experienced should be
recommended in Stereophile, you appear to want to hold me to
a higher standard than the editors of the magazines to which you
contribute. I have direct experience of a greater proportion of
the products reviewed in my magazine that do the editors of the
magazines for which you write, yet that is not sufficient for
you.

I'm not holding you to any special standard.

Excuse me? You are indeed asking me to to adhere to a more rigorous
standard than any of the editors for whom _you_ work, Mr. Nousaine.
Please don't insult my intelligence by denying the obvious.

I've merely asked why you hadn't bothered to chase down more of
the recommended accessory products because they are all highly
[recommended] and so many of them offer specific sound quality
improvements.

Because it is as impractical for me to do so with _every_ product
as it is for the editors of the magazines for which you work, Mr.
Nousaine. If you make that request of me, you are obliged to make
that request of them also, surely?

That you haven't personally tried them all isn't an issue.

Again, Mr. Nousaine, a literal wording of your comments gives
people the opposite impression. If I haven't "personally tried
them" is not the issue, as you now state, why have you been
insisting that I do so in the case of the Shakti Stones?

What is an issue is that you'll publish a positive assessment of
what appears to be an extraordinary or even an unusual one and
then walk away from it by claiming agnosticism.

As I have explained to you repeatedly, Mr. Nousaine, this is only
an issue if you regard the Shakti Stones, if they have an effect
on sound quality, as having one that is "extraordinary" or "unusual."
You appear to think that's the case, I don't. Shouldn't that be the
end of story? Unless you wish the editorial decisions of magazines
other than your own to be submitted to you for your approval?

If you think that telling the truth is censorship then I'm all
for it :-)

As has been pointed out, Mr Nousaine, your "truth" is another's
opinion. This is a very revealing statement of yours, smiley
emoticon or not.

Actually none of this is "my" truth.

No, Mr. Nousaine, none of this is your "truth," which is why I put
the word in quotes. Instead they are your _opinions_. It seems to me
that you are claiming a special status for your opinions, ie, that
they be unquestioned truth, as in your next comment:

I refer to sound quality aspects that have been verified as to
having a known effect on acoustical performance and those which
have been merely speculated as having sonic impact but never
verified as having such.

What specific sound quality aspect of the Shakti Stone are you
referring to as being "verified," Mr. Nousaine, and which have
not been "verified"? When did _you_ try the Shakti devices, in
order to be so sure of their effect?

You seem to assume that every opinion must be accepted as audio
truth just you and your staff says so.

Again I ask you not to put words in my mouth, Mr. Nousaine, as
hard as it may be for you not to do so. I have repeatedly stated
that the opinions published in Stereophile are just that, _opinions_,
to be considered on their own merits or lack thereof. This is why,
for example, you find _opposing_ opinions in the pages of Stereophile.
I try to publish both sides of the story. In the case of the Shakti
Stones, I published reviews by both one of my more extreme
subjectivists and by one of my contributors who is an extreme
skeptic. THey agreed on the product's merits. What more needed to
be done?

I'm actually quite uncertain as to how you think [The Sensible
Sound] censors anything. There are plenty of statements and
opinions made there from other contributors that I think are
questionable. But [it's] refreshing that they WON'T censor my
contributions even when I say unpopular things.

That reflects well on Karl Nehring, Mr. Nousaine. I am sorry
you don't wish to extend to me the same liberty for which you
compliment Mr. Nehring regarding the opinions that are published
in Stereophile.

I have no power to extend you any liberty. You have no need for
my approval. And I don't require yours when expressing my opinion
and describing what I see in print.

Please don't play with semantics, Mr. Nousaine. You stated that the
editor of The Sensible Sound does not censor either what you write or
what contributors who disagree with you write. Thus Karl Nehring does,
in my opinion, a good job at allowing his contributors the freedom to
express their opinions regardless of his _own_ beliefs. Yet this whole
debate has centered around your objections to me practicing an
identical editorial policy.

All I am saying is that if your criticisms of me are correct, then you
must also criticize your own editors on the same grounds. That you will
not do so gives the lie to your argument, Mr. Nousaine. You are merely
just another partisan player.

But as I have said, you are hardly a disinterested party in
this debate.

So what? My subscription was paid for with the same color money as
any other subsciber and there wasn't a "no opinion" clause written
on the credit card slip.

I am suggesting that your refusal to criticize your own editors for
the same policies that you find objectionable in Stereophile stems
from your inability to be disinterested when you write about
magazines for which you _don't_ work, Mr. Nousaine. Couldn't be
much clearer than that.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

"It is reason enough to pause and listen for yourself. That's all.
Rather
than blindly accept Stewart's judgment (let's face it, when you call
something "state-of-the-art" you are making a judgment, even if basing it
on
measurements. And frankly, high-end equipment has to be evaluated on
sound
as well as measurement. So unless Stewart is prepared to publish a
peer-reviewed dbt of these two units versus say the Levinson combo, or the
Linn player, or the new UA universal, then it is simply his opinion..one
among many, many of whom do not agree."

One need not do a dbt if measurement is being used to evaluate "state of
the art", the numbers are self evaluating. Given the now established
benchmark made using listening alone that shows differences in "sound" are
hard to come by, then your evaluation is to establish an exception to the
benchmark, one assumes? This kind of "you have an opinion and I have an
opinion and we all have an opinion" is ok for many things, if there is not
a benchmark such as audio now has. This kind of post modern
deconstruction is the source of the nihilism in some audio circles.
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
[...]

State-of-the-art via measurement alone suggests a) we know what to measure
and what is irrelevant; I don't believe there is a consense on this even
among audio engineers; b) that we know how all the interactions do/do not
affect perceived sound quality; there appears to be no consensus on this.
So all you can say with measurements that on measurement "A", this
particular piece of equipment appears to be state-of-the-art. On something
as complex as a universal disk player, there is no way you can say that its
sound is state-of-the-art based on measurements alone.

As to "nihilism", straw man alert. I did not say all opinions count
equally, or that only opinions count. Read the above again. I said
specifically, the disagreement among many observers who follow developments
in this industry closely suggests one listen for themselves, since there is
a wide divergence (as opposed to convergence) of opinion. I further said
Stewart needed a better standard than his say so if he was to establish the
"state of the art" via his opinion. The same goes for any given reviewer.