G.B.

Default 70 volt pa system wiring

Math question, I am attempting to hookup a 70 volt pa system for
mainly background music. Mixer amp has a 20 watt output, there are 8
speakers with built in transformers. I am going to set the taps to the
2 watt setting on the speakers that adds up to 16 watts allowing for
the 20 percent margin is this correct? Can i get away with running
just a single pair 16 ga cable and tapping off it from speaker to
speaker(should be very low current right?)or do i need home runs from
each speaker back to the amp, parallel across the 70v tap???

Richard Crowley

"G.B." wrote in message
m...
Math question, I am attempting to hookup a 70 volt pa system for
mainly background music. Mixer amp has a 20 watt output, there are 8
speakers with built in transformers. I am going to set the taps to the
2 watt setting on the speakers that adds up to 16 watts allowing for
the 20 percent margin is this correct? Can i get away with running
just a single pair 16 ga cable and tapping off it from speaker to
speaker(should be very low current right?)or do i need home runs from
each speaker back to the amp, parallel across the 70v tap???

The wire gauge required depends on the length of the
run and how much IR loss you can tolerate.

G.B.

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message ...
"G.B." wrote in message
m...
Math question, I am attempting to hookup a 70 volt pa system for
mainly background music. Mixer amp has a 20 watt output, there are 8
speakers with built in transformers. I am going to set the taps to the
2 watt setting on the speakers that adds up to 16 watts allowing for
the 20 percent margin is this correct? Can i get away with running
just a single pair 16 ga cable and tapping off it from speaker to
speaker(should be very low current right?)or do i need home runs from
each speaker back to the amp, parallel across the 70v tap???

The wire gauge required depends on the length of the
run and how much IR loss you can tolerate.

Thanks for the replays, i think the max cable run will be 300 feet.
With that short a run the end speaker should be about the same level
as the others right?

Lee Salter

Math question, I am attempting to hookup a 70 volt pa system for
mainly background music. Mixer amp has a 20 watt output, there are 8
speakers with built in transformers. I am going to set the taps to the
2 watt setting on the speakers that adds up to 16 watts allowing for
the 20 percent margin is this correct? Can i get away with running
just a single pair 16 ga cable and tapping off it from speaker to
speaker(should be very low current right?)or do i need home runs from
each speaker back to the amp, parallel across the 70v tap???

The wire gauge required depends on the length of the
run and how much IR loss you can tolerate.

Thanks for the replays, i think the max cable run will be 300 feet.
With that short a run the end speaker should be about the same level
as the others right?

School intercom systems, which typically run on 25 volts, are
typically wired with 22 ga. cable. The typical class room speaker is
tapped at 1/2 watt.
What you are trying to do is entirely practical and your choice of
cable is perfectly acceptable.

Lee Salter

Trevor Wilson

"G.B." wrote in message
m...
"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"G.B." wrote in message
m...
Math question, I am attempting to hookup a 70 volt pa system for
mainly background music. Mixer amp has a 20 watt output, there are 8
speakers with built in transformers. I am going to set the taps to the
2 watt setting on the speakers that adds up to 16 watts allowing for
the 20 percent margin is this correct? Can i get away with running
just a single pair 16 ga cable and tapping off it from speaker to
speaker(should be very low current right?)or do i need home runs from
each speaker back to the amp, parallel across the 70v tap???

The wire gauge required depends on the length of the
run and how much IR loss you can tolerate.

Thanks for the replays, i think the max cable run will be 300 feet.
With that short a run the end speaker should be about the same level
as the others right?

**You'll experience no problems. What I do, for higher power/longer runs, is
to loop the cable back to the amplifier.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Owain

(G.B.) wrote
Math question, I am attempting to hookup a 70 volt pa system for
mainly background music. Mixer amp has a 20 watt output, there are
8 speakers with built in transformers. I am going to set the taps
to the 2 watt setting on the speakers that adds up to 16 watts
allowing for the 20 percent margin is this correct?

Yes.

Can i get away with running just a single pair 16 ga cable and
tapping off it from speaker to speaker(should be very low
current right?)or do i need home runs from each speaker back
to the amp, parallel across the 70v tap???

These systems are designed to be teed off almost any old how. I don't
know what 16 ga cable is but I'd suggest that as long as its as heavy
as table lamp cable it will be good enough. One caveat: 70V wiring may
be required to be to the same standard as mains wiring depending on
your local electrical regulations.

Owain

unitron

(Owain) wrote in message om...
(G.B.) wrote
[...]

Definitely check with the relevent building inspector department.
They'll probably want you to use "plenum cable", which is supposed to
not put out as great a level of poisonous fumes as regular wire does
when the insulation burns up in a fire.

Lamp cord, specifically the kind actually used on lamps, is usually
16 or the slightly smaller 18 gauge.