jw

Default Analyzing control room question

Hi All.
I just had a run through of my recently renovated studio control room with a
Rane RTA/pink noise gen.
Basically I sent the pink noise through the mixer/monitors placed the test
mic (came with the rta) at mix position. checked the volume with a dbmeter
at around 85 db C weighted, and set the rta for same.
What I see is basically flat (at 3db window) response from 63 hz to 2.5 khz,
but then all above 2.5 khz drops off the meter after that.
Question : Am I doing this correctly? The room sounds fairly live (not
completely dead), I would have thought the high frequency stuff would be
flat also to a certain point.

Should I adjust the high end response (3db boost 2.3 khz shelf) on my Event
20/20ps?
And how should I calibrate my subwoofer? I set its crossover at about 80 hz
or so but it still sees some frequenceis above that point no matter what the
crossover is set to.
I want to make things better not worse.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,

--
Jason

www.JasonWhelan.com

kooz

"jw" wrote in message ...
[...]

Jason - Does your Rane RTA have finer resolution than 3 dB? If so,
use it!
Now about the "lack" of HF, are you sure your monitors are functioning
correctly? Are you sure the Calibrated mic is still in calibration?
What about the mic cable connecting the 2, is it 100%?

Ethan Winer

Jason,

I want to make things better not worse.

Good goal. :-)

First, assuming you're using standard third octave bands, take any readings
you get with a grain of salt. Especially at low frequencies, third octave
analysis is far too coarse to see the true response. Even 1/12th octave is
too coarse to see the magnitude of the peaks and dips that are surely
present in your room below about 300 Hz.

You mentioned C weighting. That applies a curve to the metering which
intentionally skews the response to correlate to how the ear hears at
different frequencies. I'm not familiar with your particular meter, so I may
be missing something. But normally, pink noise sent through speakers and
then miked and metered should be measured flat. If you hear highs fine in
the room but the meter drops off sharply above 2.5 KHz, I have to suspect
the weighting.

If you want a real eye-opener, play some steady low frequency sine waves
between, say, 60 and 300 Hz. As each frequency plays, walk around the room
and listen for places where the volume gets louder and others where it drops
to practically nothing. THAT is the true room response at low frequencies.

--Ethan

Scott Dorsey

"jw" wrote in message ...
Hi All.
I just had a run through of my recently renovated studio control room with a
Rane RTA/pink noise gen.
Basically I sent the pink noise through the mixer/monitors placed the test
mic (came with the rta) at mix position. checked the volume with a dbmeter
at around 85 db C weighted, and set the rta for same.
What I see is basically flat (at 3db window) response from 63 hz to 2.5 khz,
but then all above 2.5 khz drops off the meter after that.
Question : Am I doing this correctly? The room sounds fairly live (not
completely dead), I would have thought the high frequency stuff would be
flat also to a certain point.

Skip the RTA and play a tone ladder. Do you measure the same level on the
high frequency tones?

Should I adjust the high end response (3db boost 2.3 khz shelf) on my Event
20/20ps?

If you do, what happens? And how does it sound?

And how should I calibrate my subwoofer? I set its crossover at about 80 hz
or so but it still sees some frequenceis above that point no matter what the
crossover is set to.

Right. There is a considerable range where the mains and the sub see the
same signal. Put the sub down, and move it forward and back until the response
is flat at the listening position. Then play a tone ladder and listen to how
the bass sounds at different parts in the room.

jw

Thks for the comments. I'll do as suggested.
Appreciate the responses.
Cheers

--
Jason