Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default A halfway decent solid state amp

My favorite solid state amp is still the Quad when modified properly.
However, and although you can build your own Quad with boards for sale
ion eBay UK, this one is pretty decent too:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/lowtim/

I listened to one of these today built by an acquaintence who
maintained that "he could never build an amplifier", but after I
convinced him that he was a pussy and a failure if he didn't, he built
one of these, etching his own PCB, and even winding his own power
transformer out of a salvaged pair of old Dynaco OPTs I opened up and
cut the windings out of with a chisel. He had restored several antique
radios and rewound a power transformer before, but no audio stuff.

Does it sound as good as the best tube amplifiers? Well, with
inefficient speakers it really does. But hooked up to a good set of
horns, it's a little harsh. All solid state amps are. You know, this
thing is if built well better than 85 to 95 percent of the high dollar
audiophile amps, at a reasonable cost. I's put it up against the
overpriced **** coming out of Mark Levinson today even.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vinyl anachronist vinyl anachronist is offline

On Jul 22, 10:20�pm, Bret L wrote:
My favorite solid state amp is still the Quad when modified properly.
However, and although you can build your own Quad with boards for sale
ion eBay UK, this one is pretty decent too:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/lowtim/

�I listened to one of these today built by an acquaintence who
maintained that "he could never build an amplifier", but after I
convinced him that he was a pussy and a failure if he didn't,

Have Steve Sailer and Revilo P. Oliver built amplifiers? If not, they
are pussies and failures. That has to be one of the dumbest things
I've ever heard.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jul 23, 11:42*am, vinyl anachronist
wrote:
On Jul 22, 10:20 pm, Bret L wrote:

My favorite solid state amp is still the Quad when modified properly.
However, and although you can build your own Quad with boards for sale
ion eBay UK, this one is pretty decent too:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/lowtim/

I listened to one of these today built by an acquaintence who
maintained that "he could never build an amplifier", but after I
convinced him that he was a pussy and a failure if he didn't,

Have Steve Sailer and Revilo P. Oliver built amplifiers? If not, they
are pussies and failures. That has to be one of the dumbest things
I've ever heard.

Being called a "pussy" is the thing of nightmares for the Nazi set.

You see, only "real men" can be 'good' Nazis.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

I listened to one of these today built by an acquaintence who
maintained that "he could never build an amplifier", but after I
convinced him that he was a pussy and a failure if he didn't,

Have Steve Sailer and Revilo P. Oliver built amplifiers? If not, they
are pussies and failures. That has to be one of the dumbest things
I've ever heard.

They did not claim to be electronics people who graduated from tech
school, and they had not successfully proved they had basic skills.
This guy understood electronics but wanted to spend a wad on a new
high end saloon amp and I made fun of him because he was going to
spend montsh' of pay on something with poor resale value. By building
his own he gained invaluable confidence and skill and better sound to
boot. Also I kept a couple of thousand dollars out of the high end
saloon's hands.

People need to learn self reliance and logic and clear thinking in
troubleshooting. That carries over to the rest of their life.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jul 23, 12:36�pm, Bret L wrote:
[...]

Yes, they do. But to place that quality in such a narrow context is
absurd. Let's go wire a house for phone and computer lines so I can
call you a pussy and a failure for not knowing how to properly fish a
wall. Do you know how to terminate an RS-232? Splice a fiber optic
cable? Why not?

It's a foolish way of thinking, in other words. That's why you're
alone.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

wrote:

On Jul 22, 10:20 pm, Bret L wrote:

My favorite solid state amp is still the Quad when modified properly.
However, and although you can build your own Quad with boards for sale
ion eBay UK, this one is pretty decent too:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/lowtim/

I listened to one of these today built by an acquaintence who
maintained that "he could never build an amplifier", but after I
convinced him that he was a pussy and a failure if he didn't,

Have Steve Sailer and Revilo P. Oliver built amplifiers? If not, they
are pussies and failures. That has to be one of the dumbest things
I've ever heard.

Being called a "pussy" is the thing of nightmares for the Nazi set.

You see, only "real men" can be 'good' Nazis.

What about Herman Goering?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Jul 23, 2:53 pm, vinyl anachronist
wrote:
On Jul 23, 12:36 pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

That's why you're high.

I can fish a wall just fine. I put in all the electrical and data/
telecom in my current house, although I NEVER recommend other people
fool with installed power.

RS-232 is a serial data standard, not a connector type. Typically
they go on D-submini connectors of either solder cup or crimp style,
both of which i have terminated many, many times. Fiber I haven't
fooled with much because of the cost of fiber splicing equipment-but
if I had a need to, i'd learn to do it the same way I've learned most
everything else.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

On Jul 23, 12:36 pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

That's not the point. Would you tell people that they couldn't use a
phone unless they knew how to tone out Cat-3 lines to a PBX? Of course
not. That's stupid. It's just as stupid as telling audiophiles that
they have no business being in the hobby unless they can use a
soldering gun or build an amp. It's about the enjoyment of music,
You're mixing up two different things, and you don't even see it.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

vinyl anachronist said:

They did not claim to be electronics people who graduated from tech
school, and they had not successfully proved they had basic skills.
This guy understood electronics but wanted to spend a wad on a new
high end saloon amp and I made fun of him because he was going to
spend montsh' of pay on something with poor resale value. By building
his own he gained invaluable confidence and skill and better sound to
boot. Also I kept a couple of thousand dollars out of the high end
saloon's hands.

[snip]

Would you tell people that they couldn't use a
phone unless they knew how to tone out Cat-3 lines to a PBX? Of course
not. That's stupid. It's just as stupid as telling audiophiles that
they have no business being in the hobby unless they can use a
soldering gun or build an amp. It's about the enjoyment of music,
You're mixing up two different things, and you don't even see it.

I think Brattie is so desperate to belong to an exclusive club that he makes
up arbitrary admission requirements on the spur of the moment. Despite all his
racist bleatings, he hasn't convinced anybody on Usenet that he's innately
superior because of his skin color. So now he puts up some secret knowledge of
electronics as a qualification for plugging in an amplifier.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

wrote:

On Jul 23, 12:36 pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

Audiophile is not enjoying music or listening to music. You want to
listen to music, go to Walmart and buy a boom box, or if you want a
little better buy a system from Best Buy. Audiophile is having a
serious fascination with audio reproduction for its own sake for a
recreational activity.

Learn to solder or be a worthless puke. First lesson is that
soldering GUNS are worthless for soldering. If you are going to
solder you need a correctly tinned temperature controlled IRON, and
flux, brushes, solvent, a sponge, and some hemostats (you know them as
roach clips, I am sure) and longnose pliers are very helpful.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

I think Brattie is so desperate to belong to an exclusive club that he makes
up arbitrary admission requirements on the spur of the moment. Despite all his
racist bleatings, he hasn't convinced anybody on Usenet that he's innately
superior because of his skin color. So now he puts up some secret knowledge of
electronics as a qualification for plugging in an amplifier.

There is no superior skin color, except in terms of latitude if you
spend 90% of your time outside.

Although there is no superior RACE either, there are differences
amongst them. Two people can have identical skin shades and be of
entirely different races or be very different in shade and racially
fairly close.

Superior has relevance only when one askes, "compared to what"?

Kenyans are very SUPERIOR at running marathons and somewhat INFERIOR
at sprints.

Etc, etc.

Anyway there is no secret to electronics. It's all in books which
you, George, are simply too stupid to read.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

On Jul 23, 12:36 pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

The last sentence doesn't make sense.

An audiophile is someone who is interested in music reproduction. What
you're describing is in the realm of technicians and engineers.

�Learn to solder or be a worthless puke. First lesson is that
soldering GUNS are worthless for soldering. �If you are going to
solder you need a correctly tinned temperature controlled IRON, and
flux, brushes, solvent, a sponge, and some hemostats (you know them as
roach clips, I am sure) and longnose pliers are very helpful.

Again, you sound like a nut. Anyone who doesn't know how to solder is
a worthles puke? You're an idiot, sorry.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

wrote:

On Jul 23, 12:36 pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

Music is art: Audio is engineering.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

On Jul 23, 12:36 pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

Audiophile = lover of sound.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On Jul 24, 2:23*am, vinyl anachronist
wrote:

Again, you sound like a nut. Anyone who doesn't know how to solder is
a worthles puke? You're an idiot, sorry.-

I am not sorry that Bratzi is an idiot.
If he were any smarter, he would be dangerous.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

wrote:

On Jul 23, 12:36 pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

Audiophile = lover of sound.-

Not quite
Audiophile= Lover of good sounding music.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

wrote:

On Jul 23, 12:36 pm, Bret L wrote:

[...]

The literal translation from the Greek root is lover of sound. (Not
lover of soldering or building amplifiers, Bratzi.)

WARNIING! That includes pink noise
We can't let those guys join our club.

Solid State in the final ? RealInfo Vacuum Tubes 25 June 11th 08 07:36 AM
tubes vs solid state Arny Krueger Audio Opinions 0 May 5th 06 02:39 AM
Solid state AMP [email protected] Pro Audio 12 February 25th 05 12:33 PM
Solid State Tuners Bryan Dibble Tech 36 July 5th 04 01:02 AM
60's Solid State V.S. 70' Solid State Tuners Robert Morein Audio Opinions 2 July 1st 04 03:02 AM