Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Attenuate the treble on horn speakers, say experts

One thing that has become apparent to most classic Klipsch fans is
that for real accuracy in most domestic listening situations,
attenuating the tweeter and often the midrange too is an absolute
necessity. Up until now, though, most people preferred transformer or
autoformer approaches to the problem, in keeping with PWK's basic
doctrine.

The small fraternity of K-horn/LS/BK modifier/restorer/DIYer fans in
the Midwest have started more and more going to resistor approaches,
either with pure series or voltage divider resistances.

L-pads don't do it, as they are not stepped for accurate side to side
balance and involve wipers.

Constructing a panel of heavy aluminum or brass or other nonferrous
metal, and mounting thick film resistors to it via screws and thermal
paste, sems to be de rigeur.

In my listening to several Klipsch systems, with various solid state
and tube amplifiers this has been very beneficial in terms of overall
soundstaging and room ambience. This is equally true of systems using
the yecchy old T-35 and those with more modern drivers.

Some classic recordings are superb at making this apparent. I highly
recommend two, "Boy Meets Girl: Sammy Davis, Jr. & Carmen McRae on
Decca" and the RCA Living Stereo Van Cliburn piano concerto in A minor
by Schumann, RCASAM8283 for the SACD or the original vinyl if you have
it.

In addition, any good old vinyl pressing you might find (and I say,
might, Seymour Stein's Sire was what it was....) of the second
Pretenders album is also a great example. Chrissie Hynde, who has
really become roached out recently, was at her best and tracks like
"Jealous Dogs" show her off to best advantage. The CDs are too
compressed to be pl;easant in my opinion, at least those I've heard.

Best Way to Attenuate west[_4_] Vacuum Tubes 8 June 17th 07 05:47 PM
Attenuate or run hot mic directly into A/D convertor? [email protected] Pro Audio 19 September 20th 06 05:53 AM
fa horn speakers hydebee Marketplace 0 July 25th 05 04:01 AM
any way to attenuate tweeters on coaxials? Don Joe Car Audio 2 September 4th 04 01:14 AM
Can my GPS attenuate sound on stereo?? Michael Ripley Car Audio 0 August 17th 04 10:53 PM