Posted to rec.audio.tech
Wink Wink is offline

Default 8 Grand Delta Summits, final nail in my RAT coffin

I've not mentioned this yet, for fear of the inevitable bombardment --
but now that I've been re-educated and am fully an Objectivist, I can
reveal it.

I bought a set of Intuitive Design Delta Summits, sight unseen
AND ...Unheard. Yep.
$8000.00, including stands (one would hope). They're made of Granite
and use modified Morel drivers. A 7" 2-way speaker.

The purchase was based on several factors:

1) John Hillig's recommendation, who owns the regular Summit.
The Summit and Delta Summit differ primarily in crossover design
and components, including........ including...Carbon nanotubes
quartz in some kind of application. I hope not for Quartz
crystal's mystical new age powers.

2) A single rapturous review of the Summit in Audiogon

3) Conversations with several guys who own the Summit or Delta Summit,
2 of which are Doctors -- don't know if that's good or bad,
Including the Audigon reviewer.

4) Conversations with Dale Pitcher, formerly with Essence, designer
and ID's CEO.

There is a 30 day return period. I wouldn't have bought them without
that option, believe it or not.

I felt duty bound to report this to my new friends on RAT.

Dave
Posted to rec.audio.tech
WindsorFox[_3_] WindsorFox[_3_] is offline

Wink wrote:
[...]

Yeah well, I bought a pair of ML reQuests on ebay with only a few
pictures and never heard them. I had recommendations from several people
I know and I listened to a pair of CLSs and the Vantage and the Summit.
I'm more please than I ever have been with any other speakers I've owned.

--

"As seen in the classified ads:

Learn how to get idiots to send you a dollar and their SSN.
Send $1 & your SSN to..." -- DarkFiber / BlockIP.org
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Wink wrote:

I've not mentioned this yet, for fear of the inevitable bombardment --
but now that I've been re-educated and am fully an Objectivist, I can
reveal it.

I bought a set of Intuitive Design Delta Summits, sight unseen
AND ...Unheard. Yep.
$8000.00, including stands (one would hope). They're made of Granite
and use modified Morel drivers. A 7" 2-way speaker.

The purchase was based on several factors:

1) John Hillig's recommendation

Who IS this John Hillig ?

Anyway, my advice on good speakers would be to audition some PMCs.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Wink wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Wink wrote:

I've not mentioned this yet, for fear of the inevitable bombardment --
but now that I've been re-educated and am fully an Objectivist, I can
reveal it.

I bought a set of Intuitive Design Delta Summits, sight unseen
AND ...Unheard. Yep.
$8000.00, including stands (one would hope). They're made of Granite
and use modified Morel drivers. A 7" 2-way speaker.

The purchase was based on several factors:

1) John Hillig's recommendation

Who IS this John Hillig ?

Musical Design and Musical Concepts.
http://www.musicaldesign.com/mus_con.htm

He's one of many who's been doing mods for decades. Don't know how I
became of him specifically over 20 years ago. A soft-spoken nice guy
whose instincts I've come to trust.

Yes, but I'm dubious about his mods. Would be interested to see more.

Anyway, my advice on good speakers would be to audition some PMCs.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/

Neat, the OB1i looks interesting. A lot of them look interesting. Do
you own a set of PMCs Graham?

I don't myself. I have a pair of 'mini-monitors' that a friend made for me
with my technical assistance. They're very sweet but probably TOO revealing
for the average listener since they reveal flaws just as well as they reveal
excellence. Monitors are supposed to do that of course, that's their raison
d'etre.

However a friend and old colleague of mine has a pair of PMCs and they also
sound totally lovely. They have that mark of sounding 'authentic' that so few
speakers really manage convincingly. You really ought to listen to some. I
can't imagine you being disappointed. The bass from them was especially
convincing but then they do use a transmission line design.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Wink Wink is offline

Yeah well, I bought a pair of ML reQuests on ebay with only a few
pictures and never heard them. I had recommendations from several people
I know and I listened to a pair of CLSs and the Vantage and the Summit.
I'm more please than I ever have been with any other speakers I've owned.

It is a gamble. Most of my speakers I've built from "kits" -- box of
parts -- or plans. All un-heard before building. Same gamble. I'd say
a third of them produced good sonics, the rest were mediocre to
hideous, Jordan Modules, for example.

Congratulations on your success.
Dave

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Wink wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

You really ought to listen to some. I
can't imagine you being disappointed. The bass from them was especially
convincing but then they do use a transmission line design.

Indeed, and I'm a t-line fan. I built the Chris Rogers design with the
Kef trio when I was 18. I had to import the long fiber wool from the
UK.

Do you know which model your friend has? I'm in south central PA and
there is a dealer within reasonable driving distance.

I'd have to ask. Will get back to you. They were only little ones actually but
still very nice.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Wink Wink is offline

Who IS this John Hillig ?

Musical Design and Musical Concepts.
http://www.musicaldesign.com/mus_con.htm

He's one of many who's been doing mods for decades. Don't know how I
became of him specifically over 20 years ago. A soft-spoken nice guy
whose instincts I've come to trust.

Yes, but I'm dubious about his mods. Would be interested to see more.

Understood on being dubious.

Anyway, my advice on good speakers would be to audition some PMCs.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/

Neat, the OB1i looks interesting. A lot of them look interesting. Do
you own a set of PMCs Graham?

However a friend and old colleague of mine has a pair of PMCs and they also
sound totally lovely. They have that mark of sounding 'authentic' that so few
speakers really manage convincingly.

So true.
You really ought to listen to some. I
can't imagine you being disappointed. The bass from them was especially
convincing but then they do use a transmission line design.

Indeed, and I'm a t-line fan. I built the Chris Rogers design with the
Kef trio when I was 18. I had to import the long fiber wool from the
UK.

Do you know which model your friend has? I'm in south central PA and
there is a dealer within reasonable driving distance.
Dave

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Eeyore wrote

Yes, but I'm dubious about his mods.

No, in your eyes you are doubtful, and the mods are of
dubious benefit.

Just dropped in for a grammar check.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

"Wink" wrote in message
news
[...]

Genuine reputation is a much better guide than listening, I
believe.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Wink Wink is offline

Genuine reputation is a much better guide than listening, I
believe.

LOL -- Obviously.

I don't believe this verity has ever been challeged Ian.

Dave