Posted to rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

Default 5.1 and sub ?

I'm adding surround sound to my audio equiment. I have a vintage pioneer
sx-1250 that I use as a primary system. I picked up an audiosource surround
sound processor and now I'm feeding all my video sources through it and then
using my pioneer as the fronts. I still have regular stereo sources hooked
directly to my pioneer, fm, satellite radio and itunes. I have not added a
subwoofer yet but I'm looking at that now. I'm ok with the rear and center
channel speakers only being used for video as I have two big floor speakers
on my main system. But I would like to have the option of using the sub
with the stereo sources as well as video. So my question. My 5.1 processor
has a sub out. What I don't know is if that is really a separate channel or
does the surround processor just strip off the lows and send it out the sub
connection. If it's the later then I can just run a sub off the pioneer.
If not then I need to figure a way to have two different inputs to the sub
if I want to use it with the stereo as well as the surround sound. Sorry to
be long winded :-) tia.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

If your Pioneer receiver has a sub out, then it can run the sub. If it is an
older receiver, I don't think it would have a sub out.

If you were to have a full size set of speakers with at least 10 inch
woofers, then you would most likely not require a sub.

--

JANA
_____

"James" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

No, the pioneer doesn't have a sub out. It's vintage stuff, sx-1250. I
was going with a plate amp on the sub that had the filter in it so I could
supply a full signal. My main speakers are dual 10 woofers.

Do you know if 5.1 encoded surround sound has specifically encoded the sub
channel or does the processor just extract anything below 100hz?

"JANA" wrote in message
If your Pioneer receiver has a sub out, then it can run the sub. If it is
an
older receiver, I don't think it would have a sub out.

If you were to have a full size set of speakers with at least 10 inch
woofers, then you would most likely not require a sub.

--

JANA
_____

"James" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

James wrote:
No, the pioneer doesn't have a sub out. It's vintage stuff, sx-1250. I
was going with a plate amp on the sub that had the filter in it so I could
supply a full signal. My main speakers are dual 10 woofers.

Do you know if 5.1 encoded surround sound has specifically encoded the sub
channel or does the processor just extract anything below 100hz?

The 5.1 signal consists of 5 full bandwidth channels (the "5") which
will have signals from nominally 20Hz upwards. The 0.1 is the Low
Frequency Effects channels, which, as its name suggests is used for low
frequency effects in films. In a music DVD, there may or may not be
anything in the 0.1 channel. (As an aside, many music videos are encoded
5.1 even though there is nothing in the LFE channel as punters have
complained if there LFE light isn't on......)

The DVD player outputs the 6 channels exactly as they are, i.e. 5
full-bandwidth and one LFE.

How the low frequencies are distributed to your 'speakers is a function
of the bass management in your decoder/receiver. Depending on what size
'speakers you declare in the set-up, it will decide where to send the LF
information *from all channels* not just the LFE. Obviously, LFE
information will go to the sub (if you have one), but the sub can also
received LF information from the 5 full-bandwidth channels if you set
any of the 'speakers to "small". This means that you could have audio
going to the sub even though there is nothing in the LFE channel (as is
common with music DVDs). Alternatively, if you were to have 5 large
'speakers and no sub, the LFE information could be either discarded or
sent to the mains only, or mains and surrounds depending on your
particular decoder/receiver and what menu choices you have.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Serge Auckland wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

SACD is an exception -- there the LFE channel is full-range.
Sometimes DVD-A LFE channels are full-range too (by mistake?)

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

Do I understand you correctly that SACD is 6.0, not 5.1? That's news to me.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:59:48 +0000, Serge Auckland
wrote:

Do I understand you correctly that SACD is 6.0, not 5.1? That's news to me.

Yup. Some recordings have a height channel's wide range signal added
to the 6th channel information.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Serge Auckland wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

No, it's that the .1 channel is not frequency-restricted. That doesn't
mean one is supposed to reproduce the whole bandwidth, nor that it's used.

___