Posted to rec.audio.tech
turf

Default converting to 230 volts; Musical Fidelity A308

Hi All,
I have a Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated in America that I would like
to bring to Europe. I have heard that it is simply a matter of
changing a wire to a different slot to convert it to 230 volts. Can
anyone provide me with details of this?
Thanks
turf

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison

"turf"
wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi All,

** **** off - turd.

I have a Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated in America that I would like
to bring to Europe. I have heard that it is simply a matter of
changing a wire to a different slot to convert it to 230 volts.

** I heard it on the grape vine .....

Can anyone provide me with details of this?

** Yeah.

The ****ing ****s who built the stinking pile of **** you own.

Ask them - you PITA ******.

Ever heard of * email * ???

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"turf"
wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi All,

** **** off - turd.

I have a Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated in America that I would like
to bring to Europe. I have heard that it is simply a matter of
changing a wire to a different slot to convert it to 230 volts.

** I heard it on the grape vine .....

Can anyone provide me with details of this?

** Yeah.

The ****ing ****s who built the stinking pile of **** you own.

Ask them - you PITA ******.

Ever heard of * email * ???

........ Phil

Hmmm... Must be some history here that I'm not privy to.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
turf

Apparently I'm not privy to it either. I wonder if knitting might not
be a better past time than spewing aggression to simple questions on
newsgroups. I've heard 'through the grapevine' that it can good for
anger management...
BTW, I have contacted the manufacturer and they would be happy to
convert it for £50 plus all the shipping, which is what I was hoping
to avoid.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Steve Urbach

On 21 May 2006 11:32:55 -0700, "turf" wrote:

Apparently I'm not privy to it either. I wonder if knitting might not
be a better past time than spewing aggression to simple questions on
newsgroups. I've heard 'through the grapevine' that it can good for
anger management...
BTW, I have contacted the manufacturer and they would be happy to
convert it for £50 plus all the shipping, which is what I was hoping
to avoid.

50 pounds should buy a big 230 to 120 volt transformer (?1KVA).
As long as the equipment filters will take 50Hz, you are in luck. I
would switch off the transformer when not in use for many hours as the
"excitation losses" will add a small amount to your utility bill. The
side benefit is you have a source for 120V for any other small (wall
wart) type accessories you might have acquired in the USA.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"turf" wrote ...
I have a Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated in America that I would like
to bring to Europe. I have heard that it is simply a matter of
changing a wire to a different slot to convert it to 230 volts. Can
anyone provide me with details of this?

IF the device has a "split-primary" winding on the power transformer,
the two halves can be connected in parallel for 115V, or wired in
series for 230V. Since this is mains power wiring, it is not the best
place for a beginner to start. Some equipment has a switch, or plug-
in jumpers, etc. to switch between 115 or 230V. Other equipment
will require moving soldered wires around.

Assuming you don't have any documenation that shows how to do this?
Also assuming that your device really does have a split primary power
transformer (if the manufacturer offered to change it for £50). This is
a pretty simple thing to do for people who have experience working
on equipment. You may have a local friend or neighbor with a soldering
iron and enough experience. Or if you could post a good description
(or even better: some photos) of the innards, we could likely advise
you on how to do the switch with relative safety.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison

"Richard Crowley"

IF the device has a "split-primary" winding on the power transformer,
the two halves can be connected in parallel for 115V, or wired in
series for 230V.

** Last time I was supplied maker's instructions for such a conversion,
their "how to do it" diagram was wrong !

The colours given for the transformer primary leads had been jumbled so that
although in series, the windings ended up in anti-phase.

The fuse blew at switch on.

Lucky the transformer did not too.

Since this is mains power wiring, it is not the best
place for a beginner to start.

** IMO - it's a complete *no go zone*.

Some equipment has a switch, or plug-
in jumpers, etc. to switch between 115 or 230V. Other equipment
will require moving soldered wires around.

** In all cases the AC fuse needs to be changed to one with the correct
rating.

In most cases the AC plug must be changed.

In some cases, capacitors across the AC and NTC thermistors must also be
changed.

In some cases, capacitors from AC to ground must be removed !!

Assuming you don't have any documenation that shows how to do this?
Also assuming that your device really does have a split primary power
transformer (if the manufacturer offered to change it for £50). This is
a pretty simple thing to do for people who have experience working
on equipment.

** Shame if the instructions were written by a colour blind service
manager.

You may have a local friend or neighbor with a soldering
iron and enough experience. Or if you could post a good description
(or even better: some photos) of the innards, we could likely advise
you on how to do the switch with relative safety.

** Forget it.

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen

Phil Allison wrote:

** Absolute crapology.

Such split primary transformers are MADE to be wired both ways !!!!!!

True. I didn't say anything against that. What I did say is that they
are not always compliant with EU safety standards for 230 volts.

Some equipment has a switch, or plug- in jumpers, etc. to
switch between 115 or 230V. Other equipment
will require moving soldered wires around.

In the context of such questions is has previously been mentioned that
50 Hz may require more iron in the transformer than 60 Hz.

** Since split primary transformers are MADE to be used on 230 volt AC
supplies, use at 50 Hz has been FULLY anticipated in the design.

YOU DUMB AS DOG **** ****WIT !!!!!

I did not see that rant made by you in the contexts where the relayed
point was made in this newsgroup.

...... Phil

Have a nice day Phil!

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison

"Peter Larsen

** **** THE HELL OFF -

YOU ASININE KNOB TWIDDLING CHARLATAN !!!!!!!

IF the device has a "split-primary" winding on the power
transformer, the two halves can be connected in parallel
for 115V, or wired in series for 230V. Since this is mains
power wiring, it is not the best place for a beginner to start.

Safetystandards require larger clearances in stuff made for 230 volts
than in stuff made for 115 volts, so just modding could result in a box
that voids fire insurance if plugged in.

** Absolute crapology.

Such split primary transformers are MADE to be wired both ways !!!!!!

Some equipment has a switch, or plug- in jumpers, etc. to
switch between 115 or 230V. Other equipment
will require moving soldered wires around.

In the context of such questions is has previously been mentioned that
50 Hz may require more iron in the transformer than 60 Hz.

** Since split primary transformers are MADE to be used on 230 volt AC
supplies, use at 50 Hz has been FULLY anticipated in the design.

YOU DUMB AS DOG **** ****WIT !!!!!

It is beyond
me to know whether it is feasible or not, but there are safety concerns
to be aware of.

** I pointed out the only **REAL** ones already.

The Larsen ****wit FAKE has no idea IF or WHEN his fat ARSE is on fire.

BEWARE !

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison

"Peter Larsen"

** **** THE HELL OFF

YOU ASININE KNOB TWIDDLING CHARLATAN !!!!!!!

**** THE HELL OFF !!

What I did say ....

** NO you did not, you stinking bloody wog LIAR !!!

is that they
are not always compliant with EU safety standards for 230 volts.

** MF amps are made in the UK, as are the split primary transformers.

You knob twiddler's comment are completely ****ing ASININE !!

YOU DUMB AS DOG **** CRIMINAL ****WIT !!!!!

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Peter Larsen" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

IF the device has a "split-primary" winding on the power
transformer, the two halves can be connected in parallel
for 115V, or wired in series for 230V. Since this is mains
power wiring, it is not the best place for a beginner to start.

Safetystandards require larger clearances in stuff made for 230 volts
than in stuff made for 115 volts, so just modding could result in a
box
that voids fire insurance if plugged in.

OTOH, if it is designed for 115/230V, I'd bet your first year's
fire insurance premium that you won't be the first owner to
switch it to 230V.

Some equipment has a switch, or plug- in jumpers, etc. to
switch between 115 or 230V. Other equipment
will require moving soldered wires around.

In the context of such questions is has previously been mentioned that
50 Hz may require more iron in the transformer than 60 Hz. It is
beyond
me to know whether it is feasible or not, but there are safety
concerns
to be aware of.

Are these things sold in 50Hz land?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

In the context of such questions is has previously been mentioned that
50 Hz may require more iron in the transformer than 60 Hz. It is
beyond
me to know whether it is feasible or not, but there are safety
concerns
to be aware of.

Are these things sold in 50Hz land?

Of course.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...e=9999&SD=true

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison

"Pooh Bear"

Richard Crowley wrote:

In the context of such questions is has previously been mentioned that
50 Hz may require more iron in the transformer than 60 Hz. It is
beyond
me to know whether it is feasible or not, but there are safety
concerns
to be aware of.

Are these things sold in 50Hz land?

Of course.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...e=9999&SD=true

** Completely off with the fairies and trolls.

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

In the context of such questions is has previously been mentioned
that
50 Hz may require more iron in the transformer than 60 Hz. It is
beyond
me to know whether it is feasible or not, but there are safety
concerns
to be aware of.

Are these things sold in 50Hz land?

Of course.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...e=9999&SD=true

OK, since you didn't seem to get the hint, do you not think
that it uses 50Hz-rated components and design?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

Are these things sold in 50Hz land?

Of course.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...e=9999&SD=true

OK, since you didn't seem to get the hint,

I got it muddled with another post.

do you not think that it uses 50Hz-rated components and design?

Built in the UK ? I'd almost put money on it. The rating label on the transformer if there is one should tell for sure. I've designed audio here for ages and
never got round to speccing 60Hz transformers for the US market only. We *were* getting round to looking at it to save shipping weight amongst other stuff but
never actually did it.

Graham