Ban

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
You cannot draw any conclusions about AI's engineers with all this
third hand information. They may not have had the budget or time to
dig into anything - and assuming they are testing their gear before
publishing specs, probably thought it was easier to pass up the sale
than go any further.

It would take about ten minutes with a signal generator and voltmeter
to check this gross error. So much for engineering integrity, customer
care and quality control.......

It is unrealistic to expect the full force of a company to be used to
address a single customer problem if it looks like it could be
anywhere near time consuming.

See above. If I were running such a company, a loud alarm bell would
ring if a customer reported audible loss of bass on one of my units
which was specified flat to 2 Hz....................

One possibility could be that the opamps in this unit would be
RF-oscillating with the particular load in Mr. Langs setup. This will cause
additional current consumption and the outcome could be a bass roll-off as
described. It would account for a poorly designed piece of gear which should
not be offered to the market
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Robert C. Lang

Chung wrote in message ...

Mr. Art Ferris of Audible Illusions then
sent me the Email that included the explanation that we *all* have
taken issue with. While I agreed with their conclusion that the unit
rolled off in my system, I certainly did not buy their explanation
that I found convoluted, as to why it rolled off in my system.

That's funny the way you put it. You agreed with their conclusion, which
was that they agreed with your conclusion? In other words, you simply
agreed with your conclusion.

Yeah. I guess you are right. It does look like a case where the dog is
chasing its tail. I could offer a clarification, but I would probably
only dig a deeper hole for myself.

Oh what the heck. My conclusion was a "general" conclusion and I dare
say a "logical" conclusion. Mr. Ferris' conclusion, that has since
been debunked in this thread as an "impotent" and "preposterous"
conclusion, was the "official company" conclusion that validated,
right or wrong, my "foregone" conclusion.

I told you I would simply dig a deeper hole for myself.

Robert C. Lang
Robert C. Lang

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...
On 29 Oct 2004 23:04:01 GMT, (Robert C. Lang)
wrote:

To put this in to some (not complete) perspective it should be
understood that this all took place almost 5 years ago (February
2000).

snip

So,
some ask why did I not take measurements of the 3A? Why did I believe
Audible Illusions when they admitted that their product would not
perform? Why did I not bother to conclusively prove them wrong or
right? For what? While I had a strong preference for the 3A I
certainly wasn't inextricably married to my initial decision. I had a
preamp (PS Audio 4.5) with a noisy transformer and I wanted another
preamp. Besides, the Audio Buyer's Guide (1999 edition) listed over
200 preamps on the market. Why fiddle around with Audible Illusions
just to make a moot point? So I moved on. My guess, but I believe
there are few among us who would have pushed the issue with Audible
Illusions under those circumstances.

Fair enough. I hadn't realised that this was an old single-choice
buying decision. I certainly wouldn't have pursued the matter any
further.

After glacial-like advances, perhaps we have a breakthrough here.

Indeed, I *did* not, regarding the failure of certain
well-regarded amplifiers when I was making a similar decision about
eight years ago. It fails whatever test you set, you junk it. My only
curiosity was why this unit was reportedly so *massively* outside its
spec.

Ah. Before reading this post I just hit the send button on a reply
that made reference to your speakers, for which I have very high
regard. They are known to have brought "mighty" amps to their wobbly
topological knees. As far as I'm concerned the problem was the amp not
the speaker. But I'm curious, looking at the specs, did you have
advance warning that there would likely be a problem? That is
assuming, of course, that I a guessing correctly that the reason for
the amps failures in your system was due to the peculiarly low
impedance load of your speakers.

Robert C. Lang
Bob Marcus

Chung wrote in message ...
Robert C. Lang wrote:
This all could be true, I don't know. This also dovetails, I believe,
to the questions that Mr. Chung asked yesterday. He asked:

Did those people listen to the M3A in *your* system and agreed that
the
bass was indeed rolled off? Or did they simply agree with you without
listening to it, but having made measurements on it?

The answer to the first question is, of course, they agreed with my
conclusion without having listened in my system, even though they had
the opportunity to do so.

That is a sign of incompetence, or at least (and even worse IMO), a lack
of the intellecutal curiosity that is so common among the better
engineers. I certainly would not expect a reputable company to simply
accept your conclusion that 23Hz response is way down from this preamp.

It occurs to me that there's another possibility here, one that puts
AI and its engineers in a much better light. Suppose they examined
Lang's unit, determined that it did indeed meet spec, and concluded
from this that Lang's bass problem was psychoacoustic in origin. Do
they tell Lang they think he's just imagining this lack of bass? Of
course not. So they fudge, agreeing with his conclusion that there's
something unusual about his system, and giving him a b.s. answer when
he asks what that might be.

bob
Chung

Ban wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

This particular amplifier is supposedly an SET. A tubed amp with no
overall feedback. Hard to imagine it oscillating. That would be really
bad engineering, if true...
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

Indeed, I *did* not, regarding the failure of certain
well-regarded amplifiers when I was making a similar decision about
eight years ago. It fails whatever test you set, you junk it. My only
curiosity was why this unit was reportedly so *massively* outside its
spec.

Ah. Before reading this post I just hit the send button on a reply
that made reference to your speakers, for which I have very high
regard. They are known to have brought "mighty" amps to their wobbly
topological knees. As far as I'm concerned the problem was the amp not
the speaker. But I'm curious, looking at the specs, did you have
advance warning that there would likely be a problem? That is
assuming, of course, that I a guessing correctly that the reason for
the amps failures in your system was due to the peculiarly low
impedance load of your speakers.

When I say 'failure', I was simply referring to the fact that some of
the amps did not sound the same as others, not to an actual breakdown.
The amps were mainly tested into a pair of Tannoy 633s, their intended
load, and not a difficult one for most amps. I was simply using the
Apogees as a 'wheat from chaff' differentiator for the better amps, I
didn't really expect anything other than the Krell to be a good match
for them. The Yamaha AX-570 did exceptionally well, with just a touch
of treble brightness, while the Hafler XL-600 and Audiolab 8000P were
not sonically distiguishable from the Krell when driving the Apogees.
The Hafler had a very noisy fan, so I went for the Audiolab.

Robert C. Lang

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...
On 28 Oct 2004 23:59:55 GMT, (Robert C. Lang)
wrote:

I was not going ignore my personal experience of the 3A in
my system just because Stereophile had given it a glowing review on a
single unit. This is why I, in part, reject your unrelenting reliance
(you have held it up as being an unimpeachable reference several
times) on a single measurement, done on a single hand picked unit,
performed nearly 9 years ago by Stereophile. Scarcely scientific.

I have done no such thing, I have simply pointed to its existence.
That a production sample would have a bass rolloff significantly more
than *ten times* the specified value beggars belief, even for a
'cottage industry' product. Hence, either your perception is wrong,
the unit was *seriously* broken, you somehow wired it up wrongly, or
there is something *very* peculiar about your system, mwhich other
preamps don't reveal. If you have any other explanation, I'm sure we'd
all be happy to know it.

OK, I can't really disagree with your synopsis. Actually, in its
barest form it's a summary that does reflect the possibilities. It
does not, however, comment on the *likelihood* of each possibility. I
wish to add the following comments:

"Hence, either your perception is wrong"

I am appreciative that you lowered the "red flag" from your earlier
comment that remarked, "Your imagination seems to be the most likely
culprit". I believe that of the four possibilities you have listed the
"wrong perception" possibility, given the tangible physical phenomenon
that occurred (or didn't occur) and experienced by me an one other
person, is by far, the least likely.

"or the unit was *seriously* broken"

I agree with the possibility that it was broken. I also believe that
this is the most likely possibility. In this case I'm defining
"broken" as in it didn't meet spec, in my system, for the lowest
octaves" because the unit I sounded great otherwise. It certainly, in
my opinion and according to Audible Illusions, would not meet its
published specs in my system. As you saw Audible Illusions would not
admit that it was broken whether it was or not. But they probably are
the only ones that may really know the truth.

Questions: When a magazine makes a measurement, such as the bandwidth
measurement that "Stereophile" conducted, is the test simulated? Would
such a test always reflect real world load situations? Are these tests
standardized?

"you somehow wired it up wrongly"

I raised this possibility here in this discussion and with Audible
Illusions when this all took place in February 2000. With Audible
Illusions I went over with them (the engineers) step by step on all
connections, especially as it related to the crossover. My crossover
is at a relatively high 200hz so my thinking is that if I had screwed
up those connections somehow it would be immediately noticeable. Also,
an errant hook it up wrong could have some disastrous consequences. As
it was, as I said in my Audioreview.com comments, the Audible
Illusions passed some *great* overall low bass, just not below 25hz.
(I'm going on Telarc's literature that stated the 90-second organ note
was 23hz). I believe an errant hook up is an unlikely possibility. But
I never ruled it out.

"or there is something *very* peculiar about your system, mwhich
other
preamps don't reveal"

Again I appreciate you modifying your previous language in which you
stated "unless there was something *seriously* wrong with your
system", replacing "wrong" with "peculiar" even though a thin line
that may sometimes be. "Peculiar" as a term related to an audio system
is something I can live with. Some audiophiles might consider it a
badge of honor. Some components that have had that label are of
stellar quality. One that comes to mind are your speakers that I have
always held in very high regard but were widely considered peculiar or
quirky because of the alarmingly (for sheepish amplifiers not up to
the workload) low impedances it presented. Interestingly around here
(hometown for Audible Illusions) we have always considered Audible
Illusions to be "quirky" or "peculiar". But it is, nonetheless, well
regarded.

Having said this, my system's components, if the manufacturer's
specifications are to be believed, are plain Jane pedestrian; real
chocolate and vanilla stuff. Although, Mr. Art Ferris of Audible
Illusions thought my system presented a "peculiar" problem for its
line stage. However, as noted other line stages, passive and active,
work fine in my system.

There may be other possibilities, including one that stems from a
recent test conducted by "Stereophile" on another preamp. I may post
it later.

Robert C. Lang

Stewart Pinkerton

On 7 Nov 2004 19:55:49 GMT, (Robert C. Lang)
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...
On 28 Oct 2004 23:59:55 GMT,
(Robert C. Lang)
wrote:

[...]

Obviously I was not present, but IME that remains the most likely
solution.

"or the unit was *seriously* broken"

I agree with the possibility that it was broken. I also believe that
this is the most likely possibility. In this case I'm defining
"broken" as in it didn't meet spec, in my system, for the lowest
octaves" because the unit I sounded great otherwise. It certainly, in
my opinion and according to Audible Illusions, would not meet its
published specs in my system. As you saw Audible Illusions would not
admit that it was broken whether it was or not. But they probably are
the only ones that may really know the truth.

Questions: When a magazine makes a measurement, such as the bandwidth
measurement that "Stereophile" conducted, is the test simulated? Would
such a test always reflect real world load situations? Are these tests
standardized?

If you look up the S'phile review, you'll see that they quote measured
values for input and output impedances of the device, and they also
quote the load values used when measuring FR. These values are all
reasonably to be expected in normal use. The only scenario of which
I'm aware that would have resulted in the effect you report, would be
if a capacitor of less than ten times the required value had
accidentally been fitted to *both* channels of your preamp. Even for a
'cottage industry' product, this seems unlikely. However, *if* we
accept that your report is based on the physical reality of that 23 Hz
note being significantly attenuated, there is no other sensible
explanation. Such a gross error would of course show up immediately AI
checked the unit.

"you somehow wired it up wrongly"

I raised this possibility here in this discussion and with Audible
Illusions when this all took place in February 2000. With Audible
Illusions I went over with them (the engineers) step by step on all
connections, especially as it related to the crossover. My crossover
is at a relatively high 200hz so my thinking is that if I had screwed
up those connections somehow it would be immediately noticeable. Also,
an errant hook it up wrong could have some disastrous consequences. As
it was, as I said in my Audioreview.com comments, the Audible
Illusions passed some *great* overall low bass, just not below 25hz.
(I'm going on Telarc's literature that stated the 90-second organ note
was 23hz). I believe an errant hook up is an unlikely possibility. But
I never ruled it out.

Seemed unlikely to me too, especially since you did not report
problems with any other preamp.

"or there is something *very* peculiar about your system, which other
[...]

Quite so, which would indicate that there's nothing unusual in the
load presented to the preamp by your system. Hence, we may reasonably
discount this possibility.

Robert C. Lang

B&D wrote in message ...
On 10/30/04 6:48 PM, in article , "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

It is unrealistic to expect the full force of a company to be used to
address a single customer problem if it looks like it could be anywhere near
time consuming.

See above. If I were running such a company, a loud alarm bell would
ring if a customer reported audible loss of bass on one of my units
which was specified flat to 2 Hz....................

The fact is, we don't know the whole story, the nature of the complaint and
the real relationship between the poster and the company - it seems that
there is a long one - so if they aren't taking it seriously there could be a
reason.

Just for the record my relationship with Audible Illusions was very
brief. It extended from the time I borrowed a 3A from the dealer for
an in-home demonstration that lasted for 7 days. If I recall
correctly, my interaction with the company took place in two spurts.
The first time when I called them (actually the dealer) about the
problem of no or little bass below 25hz at which time they (Audible
Illusions) responded with a phone call or two. The second time after I
wrote my comments to Audioreview.com. I would say my "relationship"
with the company extended 10 days.

Either way - having been involved in field issues with electronic equipment,
sure the actual measurement is quick to make - and they may have made it,
but felt nothing to gain by correction - or it might be that this is a truly
neutral piece of equipment, and there are other serious deficiencies in his
setup or other equipment (though he claimed otherwise).

And neither did Audible Illusions ever express that they thought there
were any serious "deficiencies" in my system, except to say that there
were impedance issues brought about about by what they said in
writing, that I was running "several amplifiers" (four mono units) and
an electronic crossover. So yes, they expressed that there were some
"incompatibility" issues, but no "deficiency" issues with my
equipment.

We really don't have enough objective evidence to make any kind of judgement
and be fair to AI at all. We just have 1 person's account of the story
where he wasn't satisfied and is taking the story to this NG.

Well, I certainly was not completely satisfied. But I did;
nonetheless, in my Audioreview.com comments, give the 3A a positive
review, because the 3A sounded very good. *Even* the bass sounded and
performed great, just not below 25hz in *my* system. This is important
because I have never made a "global" indictment of the 3A based on my
singular and largely subjective experience. Indeed, I have recommended
it to others, including an acquaintance who purchased the unit and
kept it for several years. And as far as me "taking the story to this
NG", this is true, but only to share my experience in response to the
thread question "Do all preamps sound alike", not to indict or
complain about the preamp. Naive though it may be, like a speaker (I
realize that it is not entirely appropriate to compare speakers with
electronics) that did not reproduce (specs not withstanding) the
Poulenc organ 23zh note, I did not consider the 3A to have a latent
defect. I simply viewed it as a piece of gear that did not perform to
my complete satisfaction in my system and I moved on to explore a few
of the other 200 preamps out there. For me, it was really that simple.

Robert C. Lang
Robert C. Lang

wrote:

[...]

Did the specs of the amps in question foretell that they would sound
differently from each other?

Were any of the amps that sounded differently from the others
determined to be broken or out of spec?

And, specifically, was there anything about the specs of the Yamaha
AX-570, whether provided by the manufacturer or whether independently
measured, that foretold that it would sound bright in your system?

Robert C. Lang
Robert C. Lang

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...

It occurs to me that there's another possibility here, one that puts
AI and its engineers in a much better light. Suppose they examined
Lang's unit, determined that it did indeed meet spec, and concluded
from this that Lang's bass problem was psychoacoustic in origin. Do
they tell Lang they think he's just imagining this lack of bass? Of
course not. So they fudge, agreeing with his conclusion that there's
something unusual about his system, and giving him a b.s. answer when
he asks what that might be.

bob

I'm altogether lost as to how such a cowardly ploy would put Audible
engineers in a "much better light". Nevertheless, the possibilities
are limitless but given the concerned tenor of the Audible Illusions'
staff discourse during this period there was no indication, not even
in hindsight, that they had conspired to pull off some sophomoric
ruse.

Indeed after going through all the responses to the riddle posed by my
experience, while two or three have been irrelevantly baseless I think
some have been very interesting and offered clearer insight. But in
the end they have all been severely handicapped by lack of critical
information. A meaningful diagnosis is simply not possible in this
forum. That explains why the problem only has been narrowed down to 5
or 6, largely unlikely possibilities.

Indeed one other possibility, the *official* response provided by
Audible Illusions, has been completely dismissed by most in this
group. Placing aside Mr. Ferris', comments about "capacitance" being a
part of the problem, the core of his response remains the most likely
possibility as far as I'm concerned. Again Mr. Ferris wrote: "that
because I was driving several amplifiers, electronic crossover etc.",
they believed that the "paralleled load impedance" of my amplifiers
was well below the minimum load impedance of 20kohm".

Mr. Ferris didn't just make that up. I know because in my discussions
(interviews) with at least two design engineers at Audible Illusions,
including one who had first hand knowledge with my John Iverson
designed amplifiers used for my bass modules, they offered that same
explanation to me. Unfortunately, Mr. Ferris embellished their
informed explanation with his own, probably careless, comment about
"capacitance". That comment served only to waylay or discredit the
inmost core of his explanation.

I don't know if the Audible Illusion explanation is right or wrong.
But after looking at all the responses put forth in this thread, as a
consumer, I am inclined to accept the official Audible Illusions
response as the most likely cause of the 3A to fully perform in my
system. They know their preamp best and based on information about my
gear they could extrapolate best how they would all interact.

Consider a review in the November 2004 issue of Stereophile. It is not
intended to be a snug fit for what we have been wrestling with here
and I will leave it to those of you who are technically endowed as to
whether there are some similarities or parallels.

On page 94 of the Stereophile review of the BAT VK-51SE it reads:

"The balanced output impedance was twice what was specified, at 410
ohms over most of the audioband. This is low, though it did rise to a
high 4.7k ohms at 20hz, due to the size of the output coupling
capacitors. This will not be an issue with components, such as BAT's
own power amplifiers, but it does mean prematurely rolled-off low
frequencies with low load impedances, such as those offered by some
solid state amplifiers".

End of Stereophile quote.

Is it happenstance that such a conclusion would be published in
Stereophile at the very time that we are befuddled by my experience
with the 3A. Not really, it's not that uncommon. I've seen caveats
like that stated before in Stereophile as well as the British press.
At a minimum, this shows the bewilderingly unexpected can happen,
unlikely though it may appear, especially if all the facts/specs are
not known or confirmed (as what we have here) of all the interacting
components.

Robert C. Lang
Bob Marcus

(Robert C. Lang) wrote in message ...
(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...

It occurs to me that there's another possibility here, one that puts
AI and its engineers in a much better light. Suppose they examined
Lang's unit, determined that it did indeed meet spec, and concluded
from this that Lang's bass problem was psychoacoustic in origin. Do
they tell Lang they think he's just imagining this lack of bass? Of
course not. So they fudge, agreeing with his conclusion that there's
something unusual about his system, and giving him a b.s. answer when
he asks what that might be.

bob

I'm altogether lost as to how such a cowardly ploy would put Audible
engineers in a "much better light".

Quite simple, really. A large segment of the market for companies like
AI is audiophiles who don't believe they are subject to psychoacoustic
illusion, and take the suggestion as an insult. When confronted with a
customer like that, there's no point in arguing with him.

Nevertheless, the possibilities
are limitless but given the concerned tenor of the Audible Illusions'
staff discourse during this period there was no indication, not even
in hindsight, that they had conspired to pull off some sophomoric
ruse.

Indeed after going through all the responses to the riddle posed by my
experience, while two or three have been irrelevantly baseless I think
some have been very interesting and offered clearer insight. But in
the end they have all been severely handicapped by lack of critical
information.

Well, as you're the source of our information...

A meaningful diagnosis is simply not possible in this
forum. That explains why the problem only has been narrowed down to 5
or 6, largely unlikely possibilities.

I count 5 possibilities, and cannot imagine any others:
1) you were imagining things
2) the unit was defective
3) the design was flawed
4) your system wasn't properly set up
5) the unit wasn't compatible with something else about your system

The information we're missing (valid listening tests, in situ
measurements) wouldn't add to that list, but eliminate possibilities
on it.

Indeed one other possibility, the *official* response provided by
Audible Illusions, has been completely dismissed by most in this
group. Placing aside Mr. Ferris', comments about "capacitance" being a
part of the problem, the core of his response remains the most likely
possibility as far as I'm concerned. Again Mr. Ferris wrote: "that
because I was driving several amplifiers, electronic crossover etc.",
they believed that the "paralleled load impedance" of my amplifiers
was well below the minimum load impedance of 20kohm".

I thought the engineers here had pretty much debunked that. Their
argument was that the only load the preamp saw was your crossover
(since the amps were in series, not parallel), and that has a much
higher input impedance, as you reported. Perhaps I'm not remembering
this correctly, but that's my recollection of earlier posts.

[...]

How can you call this bewilderingly unexpected? Even Stereophile knows
about it! ;-)

A final thought: You got a product that your own ears told you did not
meet spec, and could not pass a full-bandwidth signal that every other
preamp you've ever tried could. And yet you wrote a glowing
recommendation for the thing. Whether or not you were right, that's
the sort of "criticism" that keeps incompetents in business.

bob
Chung

Robert C. Lang wrote:

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...

It occurs to me that there's another possibility here, one that puts
AI and its engineers in a much better light. Suppose they examined
Lang's unit, determined that it did indeed meet spec, and concluded
from this that Lang's bass problem was psychoacoustic in origin. Do
they tell Lang they think he's just imagining this lack of bass? Of
course not. So they fudge, agreeing with his conclusion that there's
something unusual about his system, and giving him a b.s. answer when
he asks what that might be.

bob

I'm altogether lost as to how such a cowardly ploy would put Audible
engineers in a "much better light".

"Better light" in the sense that the AI engineers were not incompetent,
but simply not wanting to argue with you whether your observations were
correct.

Nevertheless, the possibilities
are limitless

The possibilities are not limitless, but very limited. Either your
observations were incorrect, or they had a bad unit. Note that other
preamps apparently had no difficulty with that load.

but given the concerned tenor of the Audible Illusions'
staff discourse during this period there was no indication, not even
in hindsight, that they had conspired to pull off some sophomoric
ruse.

Indeed after going through all the responses to the riddle posed by my
experience, while two or three have been irrelevantly baseless I think
some have been very interesting and offered clearer insight. But in
the end they have all been severely handicapped by lack of critical
information.

You provided all the information in this thread, and based on that
information, we came up with the explanations. If that information is
wrong, then of course there might have been other reasons.

A meaningful diagnosis is simply not possible in this
forum. That explains why the problem only has been narrowed down to 5
or 6, largely unlikely possibilities.

The biggest unlikely possibility, IMO, is that a preamp can have a
substantial roll-off at 23Hz. And I thought that the diagnosis offered
so far has been meaningful.

[...]

You seem to have missed the point that your preamp does not drive the
power amps directly; it drives your electronic crossover. In other
words, that preamp did not see the amplifiers as loads. Given that, how
could the AI explanation possibly be accepted?

Or is there something unusual about your electronic crossover unit that
you have not told us about? Note also that the other preamps did not
have any trouble driving the crossover.

Consider a review in the November 2004 issue of Stereophile. It is not
intended to be a snug fit for what we have been wrestling with here
and I will leave it to those of you who are technically endowed as to
whether there are some similarities or parallels.

On page 94 of the Stereophile review of the BAT VK-51SE it reads:

"The balanced output impedance was twice what was specified, at 410
ohms over most of the audioband. This is low, though it did rise to a
high 4.7k ohms at 20hz, due to the size of the output coupling
capacitors. This will not be an issue with components, such as BAT's
own power amplifiers, but it does mean prematurely rolled-off low
frequencies with low load impedances, such as those offered by some
solid state amplifiers".

End of Stereophile quote.

Is the BAT spec'd flat down to 2 Hz? Even if the BAT's output impedance
was 4.7K at 20Hz (about a 1.7uF cap), that would only give fractions of
a dB droop at 20 Hz into 50K loads. In fact, the droop would be 3dB if
the load is 4.7K, a highly unlikely scenario.

And the AI is flat to 2Hz with a 50K load, according to its specs.

Is it happenstance that such a conclusion would be published in
Stereophile at the very time that we are befuddled by my experience
with the 3A. Not really, it's not that uncommon. I've seen caveats
like that stated before in Stereophile as well as the British press.
At a minimum, this shows the bewilderingly unexpected can happen,
unlikely though it may appear, especially if all the facts/specs are
not known or confirmed (as what we have here) of all the interacting
components.

There is really nothing here that is bewilderingly unexpected, if you
accept that (a) the unit may be bad, or (b) your observations may have
been wrong.
Robert C. Lang

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...

[...]

How cunning of you. It is evident your allegations of conniving on the
part of Audible Illusions, allegations you have oft-repeated and
*defended* in this thread are a direct reflection of you and an
unprincipled demeanor. This pointless allegation has been the
cornerstone of your contribution to this thread. Please don't taint
Audible Illusions with such blatantly unsubstantiated
characterizations.

[...]

Ø about it! ;-)

What a specimen. Are you boasting that if the BAT VK-51SE was in
your system and if there was a premature roll off of the bass that you
would have figured out the problem independent of Stereophiles
extensive tests and measurements? Or are you merely boasting that you
can read? If you played a source in your system with a 23hz note would
your system reproduce it? How do you know if your preamp can reproduce
a 23hz note?

I merely brought the Stereophile review of the BAT VK-51SE to the
attention of the group because I thought that it *might* show some
parallels, relationship or shed some light on the riddle that we have
been grappling with relative to my experience with the Audible
Illusions 3A. The results were very similar. And instead of commenting
on the merits, either positively or negatively, all you can come up
with is some incongruent "Even Stereophile knows about it!"

A final thought: You got a product that your own ears told you did not
meet spec, and could not pass a full-bandwidth signal that every other
preamp you've ever tried could. And yet you wrote a glowing
recommendation for the thing. Whether or not you were right, that's
the sort of "criticism" that keeps incompetents in business.

Ø bob

Your complete thought is scrambled. First of all, Audible Illusions
thought it was a decidedly negative recommendation. Which is why they
contacted me. I gave it 4 of 5 stars, a good recommendation, certainly
not "glowing". Secondly, you have tangled the order of events. I had
tried only *one* preamp, which did pass the 23hz note, the PS Audio
4.5, before I auditioned the Audible Illusions. The other preamps that
passed that note were auditioned *after* I made my written comments on
the Audible Illusions. Thirdly, the Audible Illusions, except for not
passing that Poulenc Concerto 23hz note, sounded very good in my
system. I was not about to globally condemn the 3A on a single
subjective audition conducted in my system. Besides 99% (guesstimate)
of listeners, perhaps you included, don't have systems that will
realistically (my view of realistic) reproduce a 23hz note or don't
listen to music that goes down that low in a sustained manner. So they
would never know about the shortcoming.

Look, as far as I know I have responded to, certainly have attempted
to respond to the best of my ability, every post that you have direct
toward me. I have provided my full 7500 word Audioreview.com
description, subjective though it was, of my audition of the 3A (that
you clearly have not read) as well as produced information (not an
easy task) provided to me from Audible Illusions 5 years ago, because
the group expressed an interest in the riddle and I figured I could
learn something. And I have. Unfortunately, I have not learned
anything from you. Read my Audioreview.com and share with us how *you*
would have handled that situation with a dealer loaned unit. I have
responded to your posts, even though from the beginning they were
laced with transparent smirks and were grossly insincere. You have
intended to entrap but never help. But now you have lowered the level
of discourse even further by repeatedly going into your lame comedy
routine alleging Audible Illusions was double-dealing with the truth.
I like comedy as much as the next guy, but why don't you at least
*attempt* to provide pertinent discourse.

Robert C. Lang
Bob Marcus

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...

[...]

Apparently I'm too cunning by half, since my point here has passed you
by. I was not criticizing AI at all here. Several people have noted
the technical gibberish you were given as an explanation for what you
heard, and expressed astonishment that AI's engineers didn't seem
particularly interested in figuring out what the "problem" was. The
implication was that they were lazy, incompetent, or both. By
contrast, my hypothesis above suggests that they were just trying not
to insult a reviewer whom they may have suspected didn't know what he
was talking about.

[...]

No. I'm merely pointing out that it is hardly bewildering to anyone
who understands the effect that such impedance mismatches can have on
frequency response.

[...]

Nevertheless, in this day and age, it is relatively easy to deliver a
full-bandwidth signal to the speaker terminals. Given that, I'd argue
that it would be irresponsible to recommend a component that could not
do so. And if you can't explain why it couldn't do so, then you
probably have no business writing reviews.

[...]

I have never accused AI of "double-dealing with the truth." For that
matter, I haven't *accused* AI of anything. Like others, I have
speculated on possible explanations for the set of facts you have laid
before us. Granted, some--but not all--of those hypotheses (mine and
others) have suggested incompetence of one form or another on the part
of AI. But I have never presented them as anything but hypotheses, and
I have never offered my own judgment on which hypothesis I thought
most plausible.

Until now. Weighing everything you have told us, I conclude that this
preamp was a non-defective unit of a competently-made product that
was, unfortunately for AI, subjected to a less than competent review.

bob
Robert C. Lang

Chung wrote in message ...
Robert C. Lang wrote:

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...

It occurs to me that there's another possibility here, one that puts
AI and its engineers in a much better light. Suppose they examined
Lang's unit, determined that it did indeed meet spec, and concluded
from this that Lang's bass problem was psychoacoustic in origin. Do
they tell Lang they think he's just imagining this lack of bass? Of
course not. So they fudge, agreeing with his conclusion that there's
something unusual about his system, and giving him a b.s. answer when
he asks what that might be.

bob

I'm altogether lost as to how such a cowardly ploy would put Audible
engineers in a "much better light".

"Better light" in the sense that the AI engineers were not incompetent,
but simply not wanting to argue with you whether your observations were
correct.

There are serious problems with that reasoning. Is it not logical that
if AI just wanted to conceal the truth and appease me they would have
just said so *orally* that the 3A was not compatible in my system? Why
would they submit a *written* explanation, especially since I never
asked for any explanation written or oral? It is your right to defend
Mr. Marcus' baseless and pointless speculations but it certainly
lowers the level of the conversation.

[...]

Good point. Actually, the preamp does see an amplifier load. Please
bear with me as I try to explain this. My electronic crossover serves
only as a low pass crossover (even though it is capable of a three way
operation). The bass amplifiers are connected to the crossover which
is connected to the preamp. So the preamp does not directly drive the
bass amplifiers. My satellite speakers have a switch that allows for
either use of an external electronic crossover or the internal
crossover. The manufacturer, that provides both the electronic
crossover and the speakers (satellites and bass modules) recommends
strongly that the internal crossover of the satellites be used for
best results. This is how the manufacturer's rep set it up. Therefore,
my satellite amps are driven directly by the preamp.

I am not at all suggesting that this alters any of the analysis that
you have made thus far, but it does point to another one of many
things that the AI engineers knew about my system that had not been
considered in this discussion. Remember, the AI engineers called me on
two occasions for a total of 45 minutes to an hour. They asked many
probing questions about my system in their effort to resolve what
happened before thay provided their official written response. (By the
way, the conversations were always polite, non defensive and never
confrontational). Unfortunately, I can only recall but a fraction of
the information exchange that we had.

Or is there something unusual about your electronic crossover unit that
you have not told us about?

Like what? I really don't know what might be unusual or usual about
it. It did not come with specs or a manual. The AI engineers had
access to the manufacturers phone number. I don't know if they called
to get more info.

Note also that the other preamps did not
have any trouble driving the crossover.

As far as I know this is true. All I know is that they all passed the
23 hz note.

[...]

Correction. The Stereophile review was made in November 2003, not
2004. My apologies. This means you can probably check out the specs on
line.

Is it happenstance that such a conclusion would be published in
Stereophile at the very time that we are befuddled by my experience
with the 3A. Not really, it's not that uncommon. I've seen caveats
like that stated before in Stereophile as well as the British press.
At a minimum, this shows the bewilderingly unexpected can happen,
unlikely though it may appear, especially if all the facts/specs are
not known or confirmed (as what we have here) of all the interacting
components.

There is really nothing here that is bewilderingly unexpected, if you
accept that (a) the unit may be bad, or (b) your observations may have
been wrong.

Well, to a lay person, without the hindsight benefit of the
Stereophile review would have been completely lost as to why there was
a premature bass roll off. At least, that's what Stereophile seems to
think. A lay person may think that they have a bad unit when it
reality the unit was not compatible with their system.

Robert C. Lang
Chung

Robert C. Lang wrote:
Chung wrote in message ...
Robert C. Lang wrote:

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...

[...]

Well, for one thing, we did not know that they wrote to you with this
explanation. For another, it really does not matter whether they wrote
or just called you up and told you.

Why
would they submit a *written* explanation, especially since I never
asked for any explanation written or oral?

Did they also write to tell you that high capacitance affect bass response?

It is your right to defend
Mr. Marcus' baseless and pointless speculations but it certainly
lowers the level of the conversation.

Actually I was not defending Mr. Marcus' position. I was trying to
explain why it was "in a better light". I personally believe that AI was
incompetent, given your account of the circumstances. But, hey, you are
welcome to draw your conclusions.

[...]

So the preamp drives an electronic crossover in parallel with a power
amp. You think the combined load is less than 5K or so? I highly doubt
it. In other words, there is no way there should be a droop at 23 Hz
because of this load.

I am not at all suggesting that this alters any of the analysis that
you have made thus far, but it does point to another one of many
things that the AI engineers knew about my system that had not been
considered in this discussion.

You are the one giving us the background info on this incident...

Remember, the AI engineers called me on
two occasions for a total of 45 minutes to an hour. They asked many
probing questions about my system in their effort to resolve what
happened before thay provided their official written response. (By the
way, the conversations were always polite, non defensive and never
confrontational). Unfortunately, I can only recall but a fraction of
the information exchange that we had.

Or is there something unusual about your electronic crossover unit that
you have not told us about?

Like what? I really don't know what might be unusual or usual about
it. It did not come with specs or a manual. The AI engineers had
access to the manufacturers phone number. I don't know if they called
to get more info.

So there is nothing unusual about your crossover. So why did they say
you have an unusal load for their preamp?

[...]

The specs of the AI was available online. The BAT's were not.

Stereophile's concern with the BAT seems to be related to loads of 600
ohm, which is a totally different problem than yours.

Is it happenstance that such a conclusion would be published in
Stereophile at the very time that we are befuddled by my experience
with the 3A. Not really, it's not that uncommon. I've seen caveats
like that stated before in Stereophile as well as the British press.
At a minimum, this shows the bewilderingly unexpected can happen,
unlikely though it may appear, especially if all the facts/specs are
not known or confirmed (as what we have here) of all the interacting
components.

There is really nothing here that is bewilderingly unexpected, if you
accept that (a) the unit may be bad, or (b) your observations may have
been wrong.

Well, to a lay person, without the hindsight benefit of the
Stereophile review would have been completely lost as to why there was
a premature bass roll off.

Only if the load is very low in impedance. The 4.7K at 20 Hz is fine for
the usual 50K load.

At least, that's what Stereophile seems to
think. A lay person may think that they have a bad unit when it
reality the unit was not compatible with their system.

Robert C. Lang

Bob Marcus

Chung wrote in message ...
Robert C. Lang wrote:

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...

[...]

It is not logical to draw conclusions about what AI wanted to
communicate based on how they chose to communicate. Written responses
to reviews may be company policy. Perhaps they hoped a written
response would shame you into pulling or at least correcting your
review.

As for my speculations, they were based on the information you
provided. If that information was incorrect--as now appears
likely--then I would agree that they were pointless.

[...]

This is news. Several of us had gotten the impression earlier that
this was not so. (I'm sure you didn't intentionally mislead us, but I
wish you had straightened this out earlier.) Now, perhaps you can
supply the input impedances of the various items connected to your
preamp outputs, and the engineers here can draw some conclusions for
us.

[...]

Fair enough. But I would suggest that anyone who wants to put together
as complex a system as yours owes it to himself to learn what he needs
to know of the technical side of things to do it correctly. That goes
double for anyone who fancies himself a "reviewer."

bob
Robert C. Lang

Chung wrote in message ...
Robert C. Lang wrote:
Chung wrote in message ...
Robert C. Lang wrote:

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...

[...]

I provided the written text early on in this discussion. It matters
only that, right or wrong, the written word is indelible and is
official. If it had only been oral we would have not had this
discussion because, frankly, I simply did not remember exactly what
Audible Illusion said until I dug their words from the archives and
submitted to the group.

Why
would they submit a *written* explanation, especially since I never
asked for any explanation written or oral?

Did they also write to tell you that high capacitance affect bass response?

True. But as I explained, in my conversation with the engineers, while
they spoke of possibilities having to do with the amplifier and
crossover loads they *never* made any reference to a high capacitance
factor. It was clear to me at the time, that Art Ferris, founder and
owner of Audible Illusions, took what the engineers had written and
added his own "also perhaps" unprepared words, in a separate
paragraph, about high capacitance. That was very unfortunate. I'm sure
the engineers would have cringed if they had seen what Mr. Ferris
wrote. But this is something that engineers often have to deal with in
the real world where their bosses say or do something totally out of
sync with the engineering perspective for marketing or political
reasons. Can I assume that you are an engineer? If so, you can label
the Audible Illusion engineers as incompetents for their explanation
as to what happen but I believe that you should take pause before you
attribute Mr. Ferris' inaccurate and extemporaneous remark about high
capacitance affecting bass response to *any* engineer.

It is your right to defend
Mr. Marcus' baseless and pointless speculations but it certainly
lowers the level of the conversation.

Actually I was not defending Mr. Marcus' position. I was trying to
explain why it was "in a better light". I personally believe that AI was
incompetent, given your account of the circumstances. But, hey, you are
welcome to draw your conclusions.

You provided all the information in this thread, and based on that
information, we came up with the explanations. If that information is
wrong, then of course there might have been other reasons.

I don't believe I have provided any "wrong" information. But there is
no question that I have "omitted" information primarily because I
simply don't recall or fully understand the highly technical
conversations I had with the Audible Illusion engineers nor do I have
any access or understanding to the schematics of the 3A.

A meaningful diagnosis is simply not possible in this
forum. That explains why the problem only has been narrowed down to 5
or 6, largely unlikely possibilities.

The biggest unlikely possibility, IMO, is that a preamp can have a
substantial roll-off at 23Hz. And I thought that the diagnosis offered
so far has been meaningful.

I think that your diagnosis has been both meaningful and enlightening.
I've certainly appreciated it. But that does not mean that, through no
fault of your own, that your diagnosis goes to the root condition of
what happened with the 3A in my system. You can only go so far as the
information that you have available to you. I had hoped to provide
enough information that you and others could then fill the in gaps.
But unless I can come up with more information about, the crossover,
for example, or other information, it looks like critical information
will be lacking. Who knows, may be I'll call Audible Illusions.

[...]

With all due respect the information about the preamp driving both the
crossover and amplifiers is not new information. This is *clearly*
stated in the Audible Illusions written response that I provided to
the group. In fact it seemed (i'm not sure) to be the basis of their
response. The diagnosis either missed it or failed to consider it. But
as it stands the Audible Illusions engineers that it was *very*
pertinent and said so; you have dismissed it as being important.
Perhaps this is a simple and understandable disagreement. But remember
Audible Illusions had much more information than you upon which to
base their diagnosis, including the unit in question and other
information that neither you nor I is privy to.

Remember, the AI engineers called me on
two occasions for a total of 45 minutes to an hour. They asked many
probing questions about my system in their effort to resolve what
happened before thay provided their official written response. (By the
way, the conversations were always polite, non defensive and never
confrontational). Unfortunately, I can only recall but a fraction of
the information exchange that we had.

Or is there something unusual about your electronic crossover unit that
you have not told us about?

So there is nothing unusual about your crossover. So why did they say
you have an unusal load for their preamp?

Well, the Audible Illusion engineers asked for, and I gave them, the
phone number of the manufacturer crossover. They clearly thought the
crossover was a contributor to the problem. Whether they called the
manufacturer I don't know. For what is worth the crossover is a custom
design, but so are a lot of crossovers.

[...]

The fact that a load is very low in impedance doesn't matter to a
layperson who would be completely lost in that situation because they
don't have training in the discipline. Indeed, even the Stereophile
engineer seemed surprised enough to express it as a noteworthy
occurrence.

At least, that's what Stereophile seems to
think. A lay person may think that they have a bad unit when it
reality the unit was not compatible with their system.

Robert C. Lang
Robert C. Lang

(Bob Marcus) wrote in message ...
(Robert C. Lang) wrote in message ...
Chung wrote in message ...

Mr. Marcus,

First I want to apologize for the terse tenor of my recent replies
directed toward you. I accused you of lowering the level of discourse.
Looking at what I wrote in response I lowered the level of the
conversation.

It is not logical to draw conclusions about what AI wanted to
communicate based on how they chose to communicate. Written responses
to reviews may be company policy. Perhaps they hoped a written
response would shame you into pulling or at least correcting your
review.

As for my speculations, they were based on the information you
provided. If that information was incorrect--as now appears

Ø likely--then I would agree that they were pointless.

I really don't believe that I provided any "incorrect" information. I
clearly have not been able to provide pertinent information, or I
omitted certain information simply because I didn't know it.

[...]

Ø us.

I have a two-part response here. As I explained to Mr. Chung the text
of the Audible Illusions response that I provided to the group makes
it fairly clear that they believe the preamp driving the combination
of the crossover *and* the amplifiers caused the incompatibility of
the 3A in my system. I assumed that when Mr. Chung and the other
knowledgeable people in the group made their initial diagnosis they
took the Audible Illusions statement into account. It looks like there
was an assumption made that all amplifiers were connected to the
crossover, like in many systems, and that the preamp did not directly
"see" the amps. It looks like they did not look at Audible Illusions
statement closely enough.

But having said that, I too, missed it. While I certainly know how my
system is hooked up, I completely missed that it may have been
important that the preamp was "seeing" both a crossover load and an
amplifier load until Mr. Chung spotlighted the seemingly inconsistency
of the Audible Illusion conclusion.

As far as providing the information you request the most I would be
able to provide are "specs", not measurements, for the various
components I have. And while specs are a starting point they may or
may not reflect reality. But more importantly I have no specs (except
for a single spec found in the Audio magazine buyers guide), on the
custom made crossover that I utilize. The Audible Illusions engineers
thought that the crossover could have very well be the wildcard, which
is why they specifically asked for the phone number of the
manufacturer. Further, as it turns out Mr. Chung doesn't think the
dual load of the crossover and amplifier is important anyway.

There is really nothing here that is bewilderingly unexpected, if you
accept that (a) the unit may be bad, or (b) your observations may have
been wrong.

Well, to a lay person, without the hindsight benefit of the
Stereophile review would have been completely lost as to why there was
a premature bass roll off. At least, that's what Stereophile seems to
think. A lay person may think that they have a bad unit when it
reality the unit was not compatible with their system.

Fair enough. But I would suggest that anyone who wants to put together
as complex a system as yours owes it to himself to learn what he needs

Ø to know of the technical side of things to do it correctly.

Firstly, I don't know of anything, with respect to putting my system
together, that I have not done correctly. Indeed, everyone who has
heard it believes I have done everything correctly. In my humble
opinion it is among the best I have heard. (I admit I have not heard a
lot of premium systems under ideal conditions).

Second, if you think my sound system is complex you should see my
video system (I am a professional videographer) or our 11 train, 32
switch, digital HO system. But seriously, I have been known to get in
over my head on projects on occasion, but when I do I don't hesitate
to call in the cavalry. And you know who I generally call first,
engineers. I recently finished three complex projects around the house
involving drainage, solar energy, and seismic retrofitting. Most of
the neighbors would call a "contractor" who specializes in those
respective areas. I call an engineer simply because its better. (And
guess what? It's usually cheaper because I have the engineer to draw
up the plans and specs and then bid out the work to 4 or 5
"contractors" and take the lowest responsible bidder. The savings can
be staggering). I said all that to make a point why I took exception
to your description that Audible Illusions may have been less that
straight forward in how they dealt with me. Even though I got the
written response from Art Ferris, I really don't believe that I ever
spoke to a marketing or sales person at Audible Illusions. I only
dealt with engineers. Engineers, certainly engineers that I know, tend
to be as straight a shooter as anyone on the planet and would have a
more difficult time in playing those sort of games, especially over an
extended period.

Having said all that, my system is only marginally complex. I would
venture to say that many here would say that it is not complex at all.
It has an electronic crossover but that simply involves connecting
amps to the crossover instead of directly to the preamp. I have done
this since my days with the old Ohm F speaker system when I connected
a subwoofer to it in a futile attempt to extract more dynamic range
from a speaker whose dynamics were inherently limited. My current
system does have a little twist in that one set of amps connects
directly to the preamp while the other set connects via the crossover.
But when I do connect and disconnect things up, as I will be doing
when I go multi-channel, I do it with a group of audiophile friends
(including engineers) who know a whole lot more than I do.

Ø That goes
Ø double for anyone who fancies himself a "reviewer."

In a previous post you said I "probably had no business writing
reviews". And guess what, I *agree* with you. I am not qualified to
write a review on an electronic device. Not to split hairs my comments
about the 3A at Audioreview.com were far short of a "review" and were
not intended to be held to that level. They were subjective comments
based on visual and aural observations.

It is important for those that don't know that Audioreview.com is a
misnomer if there ever was one. It is not a place for "reviews" but
merely a place for users to express their opinions on audio equipment
that they have (hopefully) used or auditioned. It should be viewed as
*nothing* more than that. Aside from revisiting what I said about the
Audible Illusions back in February 2000, I believe it has been several
years since I visited that forum. I only recall one submission that I
thought even approached the level of a "review". Other than that they
were all simply subjective comments, of varying quality, to be sure,
and no more than that.

I'm not sure why Audible Illusions were compelled to call me. It was
very unorthodox. They indicated that they *never* had responded to an
Audioreview.com commentary before. There are certainly far worse
comments about the 3A, although may be mine, as written, were
construed as more damaging. And as self-serving as this may appear to
be they gave every indication that they found my comments to be
"credible", almost as if what I had experienced had happened before on
rare occurrences. All I know that they asked lots of questions with
due diligence. Who knows maybe something I added caused them to make a
change or two.

Robert C. Lang
Chung

Robert C. Lang wrote:

snip

There is really nothing here that is bewilderingly unexpected, if you
accept that (a) the unit may be bad, or (b) your observations may have
been wrong.

Well, to a lay person, without the hindsight benefit of the
Stereophile review would have been completely lost as to why there was
a premature bass roll off.

Only if the load is very low in impedance. The 4.7K at 20 Hz is fine for
the usual 50K load.

The fact that a load is very low in impedance doesn't matter to a
layperson who would be completely lost in that situation because they
don't have training in the discipline. Indeed, even the Stereophile
engineer seemed surprised enough to express it as a noteworthy
occurrence.

Do you know of any power amp with an input impedance of 600 ohms? Note
that the reviewer repeatably praised the bass performance of that
preamp, despite horrible performance driving 600 ohms.

There is nothing bewilderingly unexpected here. That BAT preamp is
simply not well designed for driving low impedances. It simply fails to
meet minimum requirements for fidelity with low-impedance loads which it
was supposed to drive. On the other hand, the AI is not specified for
driving low impedances. If your crossover in parallel with the power amp
presents a very low impedance to that AI, then of course the result is a
bass roll-off at a higher frequency.
Bob Marcus

Chung wrote in message ...

Mr. Marcus,

First I want to apologize for the terse tenor of my recent replies
directed toward you. I accused you of lowering the level of discourse.
Looking at what I wrote in response I lowered the level of the
conversation.

An occupational hazard of Usenet is that people occasionally talk past
each other. I think that's what we've been doing here.

It is not logical to draw conclusions about what AI wanted to
communicate based on how they chose to communicate. Written responses
to reviews may be company policy. Perhaps they hoped a written
response would shame you into pulling or at least correcting your
review.

As for my speculations, they were based on the information you
provided. If that information was incorrect--as now appears

Ø likely--then I would agree that they were pointless.

I really don't believe that I provided any "incorrect" information. I
clearly have not been able to provide pertinent information, or I
omitted certain information simply because I didn't know it.

I was referring there to the question of whether the preamp was seeing
only the crossover load. Glad that's been cleared up.

[...]

Specs would be something, but if Chung doesn't think it's important,
who are you and I to argue??

[...]

If what the AI engineers said to you was correct (a big if), then what
you were doing here was using a preamp that was inappropriate for your
system. That's what I meant by "doing it correctly." If someone wants
to assemble a complex system with tubes and such and all sorts of
weird impedances, then they should learn enough about
impedance-matching to avoid obvious mismatches.

snip

That goes
double for anyone who fancies himself a "reviewer."

In a previous post you said I "probably had no business writing
reviews". And guess what, I *agree* with you. I am not qualified to
write a review on an electronic device. Not to split hairs my comments
about the 3A at Audioreview.com were far short of a "review" and were
not intended to be held to that level. They were subjective comments
based on visual and aural observations.

I think you used the word "review" yourself. (But then, I also thought
you said all your amps were plugged into your crossover!) Hence my
comment. "Reviewing" a component in a system for which it is
inappropriate would be irresponsible in the extreme. But I gather
we're really just talking about user comments on a Web site--and the
inappropriateness of this preamp to your system has not been
confirmed.

[...]

Most user comments are of the general "liked it-didn't like it"
variety, and there's not much to say, or worth saying, about them. But
your comments raised a particular technical point: Can this preamp
pass a full-bandwidth signal? If I were an AI engineer, bells and red
lights would have gone off when I read your comments. I'm sure that's
why you got the attention you did.

bob

The Art of Bose Bashing and Amar's Supposed Descent into Mediocrity Wylie Williams General 3 September 27th 04 03:16 AM
Steely Dan The Absolute Sound Steven Sullivan High End Audio 585 August 26th 04 02:17 AM
Jazz Bass Pickups & their sound Kalle L. Pro Audio 20 December 1st 03 04:02 PM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
Sound, Music, Balance Robert Trosper High End Audio 1 November 21st 03 04:09 AM