Rick Cantellya

Default 98' Grand Prix - Rough starts

I have a '98 Pontiac Grand Prix (better known as our Grand Pile). The last
few days it has been hard to start and runs rough when it does. At some
point, it smoothes out and runs fine. I've scanned it and received the
following codes:

P0403 - Multiple Random Cylinder Misfires
P0303 - Misfires on Cylinder 3

Any clues as to the most common cause of these errors? Faulty injector or
coil pack? If so, any clues as to how to zero in on the problem?

Thanks.....

Peter Larsen

Rick Cantellya wrote:

I have a '98 Pontiac Grand Prix (better known as our Grand Pile).
The last few days it has been hard to start and runs rough when
it does.

Back in the old days of mechanical cars I'd suggest looking at the
exhaust smoke during and immediately after start. This because my first
guess is too little or too much gasoline during start.

At some point, it smoothes out and runs fine. I've scanned
it and received the following codes:

P0403 - Multiple Random Cylinder Misfires
P0303 - Misfires on Cylinder 3

I'd ask in an auto, rather than an audio, newsgroup whether "drowning"
can cause this.

Any clues as to the most common cause of these errors?

My logic is that if it was an ignition problem, then it would be likely
to persist after heatup.

Faulty injector or coil pack? If so, any clues as to how to zero
in on the problem?

1) look at or smell (with discretion and caution, I didn't say inhale)
what comes out of the exhaust during a start with misfiring, a
carburation problem appears probable.

2) report finding with a repost of question to auto newsgroups.

Thanks.....

Normally I'd add a "followup-to:" pointing at the appropiate newsgroup,
but I don't know exactly which it would be, please take a new look at
the newstree, there may exist a rec.auto.pontiac.rough-starts or similar
newsgroup or an alt.pontiacowners.support newsgroup or both. Almost
anything you could imagine in terms of newsgroups exist, and quite much
that you couldn't.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Arny Krueger

"Rick Cantellya" wrote in message
I have a '98 Pontiac Grand Prix (better known as our Grand Pile). The
last few days it has been hard to start and runs rough when it does.
At some point, it smoothes out and runs fine. I've scanned it and
received the following codes:

P0403 - Multiple Random Cylinder Misfires
P0303 - Misfires on Cylinder 3

Any clues as to the most common cause of these errors? Faulty
injector or coil pack? If so, any clues as to how to zero in on the
problem?

The basics are compression, fuel and ignition. Check the plugs, wires, and
cylinder compression. Compression testers are reasonably inexpensive, as are
new plugs and wires. You probably have a distributorless ignition, but there
would then be 3 independent spark coils with driver circutiry for each. Any
of the above could be failing. Low compression usually comes from bad
valves.

Richard Kuschel

I have a '98 Pontiac Grand Prix (better known as our Grand Pile). The last
few days it has been hard to start and runs rough when it does. At some
point, it smoothes out and runs fine. I've scanned it and received the
following codes:

P0403 - Multiple Random Cylinder Misfires
P0303 - Misfires on Cylinder 3

Any clues as to the most common cause of these errors? Faulty injector or
coil pack? If so, any clues as to how to zero in on the problem?

Thanks.....

Wrong newsgroup.

Now if it were a question concerning the sound system in your '98 Grand Prix,
you might get some advice.

I know Jaguars pretty well and while there is no computer on a '68 XKE, I would
change the plugs, plug wires, and distributor cap.
Richard H. Kuschel

Carl Valle

"Rick Cantellya" wrote in message
I have a '98 Pontiac Grand Prix (better known as our Grand Pile). The last
few days it has been hard to start and runs rough when it does. At some
point, it smoothes out and runs fine. I've scanned it and received the
following codes:

P0403 - Multiple Random Cylinder Misfires
P0303 - Misfires on Cylinder 3

Any clues as to the most common cause of these errors? Faulty injector or
coil pack? If so, any clues as to how to zero in on the problem?

Thanks.....

Its spark plug wires and possibly a grounded out plug on cylinder 3
My firebird did the same thing

Paul J. White

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:31:48 GMT, "Rick Cantellya"
wrote:

98' Grand Prix - Rough starts

Your Grand Prix is ninety eight feet long? Wow, cornering must be
difficult.