Michael Cooper

Default 802.11b/g network interface for stereo?

Greetings. I recently set up a wireless network in my home for my
PowerBook laptop, and was thinking it would be nice if I could set my
stereo up as a "node" on the network and play sound from the laptop
through there rather than through the built-in speakers.

Obvoiusly this could be done through some clever hardware/software
setup -- at the very least by hooking another machine up to the
network & stereo. However, I'd rather not go through this myself, and
I'm sure someone else has had the same idea -- probably an audio or
network manufacturer. I've done a fair amount of searching on Google
for a self-contained unit, and haven't really found anything. Any
ideas? Thanks!

Michael
Michael Cooper

Alan Peterman wrote in message . ..

There's at least one solution available. The Linksys WMA11B is in stores right
now, and a G version has been announced.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=554

I've seen a couple of products similar to this, but two issues come to
mind.

First of all, this particular system requires Windows, but my machine
is a PowerBook running MacOS 10.3.

The second problem is that all these devices seem to come with drivers
and "media management software" -- which gives me the impression that
they are just a way of exporting specific files from your computer to
the device, which plays them. What I'd like to be able to do is to
have the sounds that would be coming out of my laptop's speakers
mirrored on the home stereo.

For example, suppose I have some video I want to watch on the
computer, but with audio piped through the home stereo. This would
not be possible with a system which just plays files...

Thanks for the suggestion -- any other ideas?

Michael

Bert

What I'd like to be able to do is to
have the sounds that would be coming out of my laptop's speakers
mirrored on the home stereo.

For example, suppose I have some video I want to watch on the
computer, but with audio piped through the home stereo. This would
not be possible with a system which just plays files...

Thanks for the suggestion -- any other ideas?

Michael

I don't think it is very likely that you will find something on the order of
802.11b that will do what you want. I think it might be prudent to look
into a device that would plug into the "line out" or headphone jack on the
notebook that can transmit to a receiver hooked up to the stereo. It may be
a bit bulky on the powerbook side, but it seems the best you can do for what
you want.

Bert