Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rado Stefano Rado Stefano is offline

Default How to fix header on a multichannel wav file?

Somebody??

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jerohm Jerohm is offline

"Rado Stefano" wrote in message
ups.com...
Somebody??

Pretty general question. Do you understand the format structure?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...ultichaud.mspx
http://www-mmsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Docume...WAVE/WAVE.html
http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/wavefiles.html
http://netghost.narod.ru/gff/graphic...ICRIFF-DMYID.2
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/wave.htm

Do you need a hex editor to modify/inspect what you already know?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article . com,
Rado Stefano wrote:
Somebody??

What's broken about it?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rado Stefano Rado Stefano is offline

It doesn't want to open in daw soft.
It opens in media players as a stereo file with hi freq his.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jerohm Jerohm is offline

"Rado Stefano" wrote in message
s.com...
It doesn't want to open in daw soft.
It opens in media players as a stereo file with hi freq his.

Sounds like a Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS encoded file... (
http://www.5dot1.com/how_to_listen_in_5_1.html ) encapsulated in a Stereo
WAV file. These can be burned to CDRs or played through 'some' PC
soundcards (bit perfect output) out the digital SPDIF and decoded by an
external decoder. I am not aware of any software that will decode these
types of files into their individual channel WAV files.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rado Stefano wrote:
It doesn't want to open in daw soft.
It opens in media players as a stereo file with hi freq his.

Well, what is it supposed to be? Do an od -h on the file and tell me
what the first ten lines are. If you don't have od on your machine, any
hex dump program will do... you want to see the first 56 bytes and see
if they match up with what you think the file is supposed to bbe.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rado Stefano Rado Stefano is offline

It is a 13 channel 44khz 24 bit from RME DIGICHEK record software.
It is a 3gb file.
I will use the hex tomorrow and post the lines here.
Thanks

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Rado Stefano wrote:
It doesn't want to open in daw soft.
It opens in media players as a stereo file with hi freq his.

Well, what is it supposed to be? Do an od -h on the file and tell me
what the first ten lines are. If you don't have od on your machine, any
hex dump program will do... you want to see the first 56 bytes and see
if they match up with what you think the file is supposed to bbe.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rado Stefano Rado Stefano is offline

ĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀ ĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀĀjĀÿà ¿Ã¿ĀĀ*ĀĀîÿÿ8ĀĀ¬Ä€ĀĀyÿÿßÿÿĀĀ “Ä€ĀĀĀĀ›Ä€ĀĀ/ĀĀ¾Āðÿÿ¨ÿÿ:ĀĀĀĀïÿÿûÿÿĀĀ– ÿÿèÿÿ|ĀĀ”Ä€
ĀĀÃ?ÿÿçÿÿĀĀ›ýÿ*ĀĀPĀĀMÿÿçÿÿFÄ €Ä€ÂŒÄ€"ĀĀŸÿÿêÿÿÑÿÿüÿñÿÿĀĀVÄ€ Ä€OĀĀKĀĀõÄ€Ã?ÿÿóÿÿÕÿÿõÿÿœûÿýà ¿Ã¿Ã§Ã¿Ã¿Ã¯Ã¿Ã¿ ĀĀjĀĀ¥ĀùÿÿßÿÿĀĀ
ĀĀ”ûÿĀĀĀĀÃ*þÿÚÿÿĀĀÓĀúÿÿ¾ ÿ
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rado Stefano Rado Stefano is offline

http://members.cox.net/improwise/hex.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jerohm Jerohm is offline

"Rado Stefano" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://members.cox.net/improwise/hex.jpg

That data does not seem to have any header whatsoever. Maybe it is strictly
sequences of 13 (14??) consecutive - 3 byte (24bit) data samples ... With no
header info, what ever program is used to manipulate (read) the data MUST to
told (how) to interpret with raw data (PCM sample width, rate AND
ormat --i.e., Intel or Motorola) and number of channels. Found this (
http://www.jsresources.org/examples/...Converter.html )with Google,
but I have no experience using it. Good Luck

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Rado Stefano" wrote:
http://members.cox.net/improwise/hex.jpg

I don't know what this file is, but it's not a .wav file of any sort, and
it does not have anything even vaguely like a .wav header.

Can the original system read it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
"Rado Stefano" wrote:
http://members.cox.net/improwise/hex.jpg

I don't know what this file is, but it's not a .wav file of any sort, and
it does not have anything even vaguely like a .wav header.

Can the original system read it?

No it can not.

I recorded another multichannel file and it looks the same.Do you think
my hex soft doesn't read the header??

thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Rado Stefano wrote:

I recorded another multichannel file and it looks the same.

Does it also not play? If not, I'd suggest that you contact RME and ask
them what they heck you play it with. But isn't Digicheck an analysis
program? Maybe you're not supposed to play it, you're just supposed to
look at it.

Sorry for suggesting that you didn't know what you were doing when you
made the recording, but it's beginning ot look that way. I know that
there's a multichannel WAV format, but I also know that it's not very
commonly used or supported.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rado Stefano wrote:

I recorded another multichannel file and it looks the same.Do you think
my hex soft doesn't read the header??

I don't know why it would, if it is just doing a straight dump. Remember,
files on most operating systems today are just flat.

Odds are there IS a header of some kind in there, it's just not a .WAV
header or anything else I recognize. Or else the file is getting corrupted.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
Rado Stefano wrote:

I recorded another multichannel file and it looks the same.

Does it also not play? If not, I'd suggest that you contact RME and ask
them what they heck you play it with. But isn't Digicheck an analysis
program? Maybe you're not supposed to play it, you're just supposed to
look at it.

Sorry for suggesting that you didn't know what you were doing when you
made the recording, but it's beginning ot look that way. I know that
there's a multichannel WAV format, but I also know that it's not very
commonly used or supported.

It is used and supported.It makes sence when you are tracking to write
1 file instead of 20.
I guess my laptop screwed it up not the FF800 or digicheck.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rado Stefano Rado Stefano is offline

Here is a image taken with a deferent hex editor:
It has deferent symbols.
http://members.cox.net/improwise/hex2.jpg

Broken wav file - won't play anywhere [email protected] Tech 7 November 7th 06 10:49 AM
It's amazing what you can find when you look. Audio Opinions 76 December 3rd 05 06:33 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Voluntary Collective Licensing of Music File Sharing Greg Pro Audio 11 September 1st 04 03:29 PM
unknown audio file format M.Laymon General 1 October 31st 03 03:25 PM