Posted to rec.audio.car

Default Crackling noise on radio

Hi

I have a Kenwood head unit which is less than a year old in my MG. The
unit works perfectly well except sometimes I get interference on the
radio when I use my wipers, window washer, and electric windows. This
only happens when listening to the radio, as the CD player is not
affected at all.

This problem has only come about in the last 4-5 weeks. Where should I
look - check the earth, or take the radio out and check the connections
etc.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Your power for those mechanisms probably runs close to the antenna wire for
your radio. There's probably a decent bit of current running through the
wires to your wiper motors and power windows. If it only recently started
happening, maybe a wire from the antenna is beginning to chafe or something.
I dunno... sounds like EMI to me.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I have a Kenwood head unit which is less than a year old in my MG. The
unit works perfectly well except sometimes I get interference on the
radio when I use my wipers, window washer, and electric windows. This
only happens when listening to the radio, as the CD player is not
affected at all.

This problem has only come about in the last 4-5 weeks. Where should I
look - check the earth, or take the radio out and check the connections
etc.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

This is a TOTAL shot in the dark, but a few years ago I had similar problems
JUST BEFORE my alternator gave out. You may want to check your voltage with
a multimeter and make sure you are getting a healthy 13.5-14.4 volts. Just
a thought.

MOSFET

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I have a Kenwood head unit which is less than a year old in my MG. The
unit works perfectly well except sometimes I get interference on the
radio when I use my wipers, window washer, and electric windows. This
only happens when listening to the radio, as the CD player is not
affected at all.

This problem has only come about in the last 4-5 weeks. Where should I
look - check the earth, or take the radio out and check the connections
etc.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car

Thanks guys. I will look into these....

Regards

Demon

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mike S

My guess is EFI.. I've got an old 69' Chevelle and found out that my spark
plug wires were causing problems with my reception. They were the original
wires with no supression. they never built those old cars with too much
thought about head units in mind. Could be an alternator like MOSFET said..
I actually think it's the wiper motor causing the problem, not the wiring.
Motors like wiper motors can generate interferance as well.. if it's not
shielded properly it can cause problems like the reception to your radio..
There's really not much you can do about shielding the motor unfortunatly..
wrap a lead cover around it? lol.. I bet if you relocated your antenna as
far away from your wiper motor you might be ok, without changing a thing but
the location. it's iffy though.

Mike
oups.com...