Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R is offline

Default What to do with a sick pair of Ohm Walsh 4.9 Seakers

I have a pair of such beasts, 20+ years old.
The foam surround has rotted out on one of them and I would like
advice on what to do. Since I bought them my listening in the
living room has changed to record/CD listening to home theater.
I now have a Velodyne 18 sub so the bass response of the other
speakers isn't so important anymore.

For the interim I've replaced the Ohm's with a pair of speakers
I picked up at a garage sale. They may be knockoffs as they have
no nameplate, only a KLH emblem on the grills. But they sound fine
for home theater and my ears aren't what they were in the 60s.

So I have some choices. 1. Keep the new speakers and dispose
of the Ohms. 2. Repair the woofer surrounds locally. 3. Send
the drivers to Ohm for repair (expensive)

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

--
Chuck Forsberg www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
g g is offline

On Apr 18, 6:44*pm, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
wrote:
I have a pair of such beasts, 20+ years old.
The foam surround has rotted out on one of them and I would like
advice on what to do. *Since I bought them my listening in the
living room has changed to record/CD listening to home theater.
I now have a Velodyne 18 sub so the bass response of the other
speakers isn't so important anymore. *

For the interim I've replaced the Ohm's with a pair of speakers
I picked up at a garage sale. *They may be knockoffs as they have
no nameplate, only a KLH emblem on the grills. *But they sound fine
for home theater and my ears aren't what they were in the 60s.

So I have some choices. *1. *Keep the new speakers and dispose
of the Ohms. *2. Repair the woofer surrounds locally. *3. *Send
the drivers to Ohm for repair (expensive)

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

[quoted sig deleted -- deb]

1. Send them to me so I can use them.
2. Repair them yourself. I would check around for possible repair
kits.
3. Repair them locally.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Dave is offline

"Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R" wrote in message
I have a pair of such beasts, 20+ years old.
The foam surround has rotted out on one of them and I would like
advice on what to do.

Buy a re-foam kit on the internet for $20, spend 2 or 3 hours over two
evenings doing the very very simple repair, and either keep them
(recommended) or sell them on that auction site for a big pile of cash.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
I have a pair of such beasts, 20+ years old.
The foam surround has rotted out on one of them and I would like
advice on what to do. Since I bought them my listening in the
living room has changed to record/CD listening to home theater.
I now have a Velodyne 18 sub so the bass response of the other
speakers isn't so important anymore.

For the interim I've replaced the Ohm's with a pair of speakers
I picked up at a garage sale. They may be knockoffs as they have
no nameplate, only a KLH emblem on the grills. But they sound fine
for home theater and my ears aren't what they were in the 60s.

So I have some choices. 1. Keep the new speakers and dispose
of the Ohms. 2. Repair the woofer surrounds locally. 3. Send
the drivers to Ohm for repair (expensive)

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

The Ohms are worth repairing, assuming it's just the surrounds that are
the problem. A re-foam shouldn't be very expensive - something like
$20 per, although that's probably more than the garage sale speakers
cost you.

I seem to recall the local speaker repair guy saying that they are a bit
more difficult to do than most speakers, so you might not want to tackle
these yourself as a first-time re-foam project. This was probably 20
years ago, and I may be remembering it wrong...

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
fadeToblack fadeToblack is offline

On Apr 18, 3:44*pm, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
wrote:
I have a pair of such beasts, 20+ years old.
The foam surround has rotted out on one of them and I would like
advice on what to do. *

I have Ohm Walsh 2's that use conventional drivers.
You can replace the main drivers with something better
if you don't want to go the re-foam route.
What size are the main drivers in the 4.9, 10"?
I can't find any info on 4.9 Ohms.

Are you sick of "BORING / SCARY / SICK" Dreams at night? David Grant Pro Audio 0 April 22nd 06 01:38 PM
Ohm Walsh speakers Audio Opinions 10 December 8th 05 04:44 PM
fa ohm walsh 2 speakers and crossovers $31 Hydebee Marketplace 0 January 18th 05 09:11 PM
Ohm's With the Walsh Driver Bob Cain Pro Audio 8 September 5th 04 10:18 AM
WTB: Ohm Walsh F ReEfErMaDnEsS Marketplace 4 February 22nd 04 04:19 AM