Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Default Monitor Location?

For those of you with DVD systems in their cars, a quick question.

Which is easier to watch for extended viewing periods, a dash location (such
as a motorized flip-up screen in the OEM stereo location) or up higher like
in the sun visors or a ceiling-mounted flip-down screen? I'm thinking in
terms of getting a sore neck, finding a comfortable position to sit in, etc.
This will be going in my '06 Mustang Coupe. Just wondering from those of
you that have tried either, or both, and what your thoughts were.

Thanks all!

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Well, Tony, I have the answer but it may not be feasible. Hand down, the
most comfortable location is sitting on top of your dash (where mine is).
It is right at eye-level. It's SO easy to view that it is quite easy for me
to drive and keep an eye on the screen. I know this is VERY WRONG, but I'm
not talking about watching movies, I play a lot of music videos in my car
and sometimes I want to take a quick peak at what's on the screen. Anyway,
it is located right on top of the dash (between the dash and windshield),
right in the center of the dash. It is a 7" screen so it blocks very little
of my view outside.

But to answer your question you should go with whatever is the closest to
your eye-level when sitting. That will be the most comfortable.

Nick aka MOSFET
"Tony F" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

"Austin Becker" wrote in message
You should definitely watch DVD's in the house.

Yah, yah, yah. And you should ALWAYS cross at crosswalks, and never where
white after Labor-Day...

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Thanks, Nick. You are probably right. Problem is, I don't want a motorized
flip-up screen type HU, which will give me the best viewing angle as you
pointed out, short of constructing some sort of top-of-dash monitor setup.

Believe it or not, I do NOT plan on watching anything while I drive. Hence
the fact that I don't want a flip-up motorized screen on my HU...even that
is too distracting for me. I just want a plain, simple DVD HU with a
separate monitor somewhere out of the way so when I PARK somewhere I can
flip the monitor down (or up) and watch TV.

My cars are my solitude. I'm hoping that having a DVD player in my Mustang
will mean that my frequent random drives to nowhere in particular (mostly at
night) will result in being able to park somewhere and watch a quick episode
of Star Trek TNG, Voyager, or the new Battlestar Galactica series. (Yes,
I'm a sci-fi freak!) Hence the reason I'm very carefully pondering the
monitor location.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Believe it or not, I do NOT plan on watching anything while I drive.

Sure you don't....LOL

Nick