Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

Default OT Have to change my newsreader. What's ur favorit?

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two afternoons
trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out how to get it to
sent a user ID and password to news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good
reviews, but I'm ready to move on. Ready to even pay for software if I have
to.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I had the same problem when switching from Windows 2000 Professional to
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

I switched to Windows Live Mail, which is free and adequate for my purposes.
The only problem I ran into was transferring my existing mail folders from my
old computer. There's a mechanism for this, but the instructions are sometimes
hard to follow, and some folders aren't transferred, for reasons that aren't
always clear. (If you get stuck on this, ask me and I'll try to walk you
through it.)

As for UseNet accounts under Windows Live Mail... Go to Accounts / Properties,
and "fill in the blanks".

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 20 Apr 2013, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote in rec.audio.pro:

I switched to Windows Live Mail, which is free and adequate for my
purposes.

Please reconsider. WLM may be comfortable for you, but it wrecks the
thread from everybody else's point of view due to its complete
inability to quote previous material. Your reply here is an example -
it's impossible to tell who you're responding to. You've left out the
them, WLM makes them look like your own words.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 20 Apr 2013, "Steve King"
wrote in rec.audio.pro:

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for
reading newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've
blown two afternoons trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird.
Can't figure out how to get it to sent a user ID and password to
news.Eternal-September.org.

I think you shouldn't give up yet. I've got Thunderbird working well
with e-s, and so have lots of other people. Ask for help here, if you
want. I know it will work.

There aren't a lot of newsreaders any more - Usenet is fading away and
nobody is writing software for it much any more. Still, there are a few
old ones that still work...

- I like Xnews (http://xnews.newsguy.com/), although it's a little
quirky and fiddly to get set up.

- Some people like Forte Agent, although I find it a little hard to
use, and it costs. I think an old, free version of it can still be
found.

- Some people like MesNews (http://www.mesnews.net/gb/) - I've only
glanced at it - seems OK.

- There's 40tude Dialog (http://dialog.datalist.org/), which is similar
to Agent but is free. It's lot lots of features, but I don't care for
it.

- Gravity (http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/) - I used to like this a
lot when I only had a dial-up connection. It lacks filtering, so I
don't use it any more, but otherwise, it was easy to use.

Please avoid Microsoft Windows Live Mail - they have crippled it,
intentionally, it seems, so that it can't quote previous posts in an
understandable way.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/20/2013 3:33 PM, Steve King wrote:

I've blown two afternoons
trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out how to get it to
sent a user ID and password to news.Eternal-September.org.

The trouble with stuff like this is that you do it once and then you
forget how. I'm using Thunderbird to access this newsgroup through
Eternal September, so it definitely works. I'm still using WinXP, but
(hopefully) Thunderbird is Thunderbird.

Looking over the settings, you need to set up a separate SMTP (outgoing)
news server (outgoing.eternal-september.org) as well as an incoming
server ((news.eternal-september.org). There's a place for your user name
in the outgoing server setup. I don't see a place for the password, but
I think it asks for it the first time you try to send mail to the
server, and then it remembers it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

wrote in rec.audio.pro:

I switched to Windows Live Mail, which is free and adequate for my
purposes.

Please reconsider. WLM may be comfortable for you, but it wrecks the
thread from everybody else's point of view due to its complete
inability to quote previous material. Your reply here is an
example -
it's impossible to tell who you're responding to.

Here I am responding using Window Live Mail. It positions
the cursor for top-posting, but deleting the prepared top-post
space and sending the cursor to the bottom are a few short
keystrokes that I do without even thinking about it. It's not
that WLM wrecks the thread by itself; it's people who don't
care to learn how to properly post on Usenet, or don't care
to set up their reader to do so. If I could figure out how to
stop it from trying to top-post, I would set that up correctly,
too. I've been told that it's not possible with WLM, but I've
also been told that it can't be configured to quote correctly,
which simply isn’t true.

It's a crappy newsreader, but it does the job, far better than
that bull**** Gurgle website that idiots use.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 20 Apr 2013, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

The trouble with stuff like this is that you do it once and then
you forget how. I'm using Thunderbird to access this newsgroup
through Eternal September, so it definitely works. I'm still using
WinXP, but (hopefully) Thunderbird is Thunderbird.

Looking over the settings, you need to set up a separate SMTP
(outgoing) news server (outgoing.eternal-september.org) as well as
an incoming server ((news.eternal-september.org).

I don't think that's quite right. I was about to say that
"outgoing.eternal-september.org" wasn't a valid address, but I see that
it responds to a ping. Still, I don't think it's a publicly available
mail server. Thunderbird may force you to specify an outgoing mail
server, but it may not check to see if it's valid and might accept
anything you put there. It would only use it if you try to reply to a
Usenet posting via email, which is kind of frowned upon these days,
anyway. Otherwise, you could indicate your regular email sending
server, which is Thunderbird's intent.

There's a place
for your user name in the outgoing server setup. I don't see a
place for the password, but I think it asks for it the first time
you try to send mail to the server, and then it remembers it.

Yes, the password is stored internally, and you can see it if you look
in Thunderbird's Tools | Options | Security | Passwords. If your
credentials ever get messed up, you can always delete the entry there,
and Firefox will ask for them again next time you try to access the
server.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Please reconsider. WLM may be comfortable for you, but it wrecks the
thread from everybody else's point of view due to its complete
inability to quote previous material. Your reply here is an example -
it's impossible to tell who you're responding to. You've left out the
them, WLM makes them look like your own words.

Not exactly. WLM includes the name of the source, and the source itself -- but
it doesn't usually add the or other character that indicates new text.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in rec.audio.pro:

Please reconsider. WLM may be comfortable for you, but it wrecks
the thread from everybody else's point of view due to its complete
inability to quote previous material. Your reply here is an
example - it's impossible to tell who you're responding to. You've
left out the previous poster's words, intentionally or not, but if
you had included them, WLM makes them look like your own words.

Not exactly. WLM includes the name of the source, and the source
itself -- but it doesn't usually add the or other character that
indicates new text.

It didn't this time. As far as anyone tell, all the words above were
written by "William Sommerwerck". There's no indication otherwise. And
even if my name were on there somewhere, if there's no demarcation
indicator to show which of those many words were mine, what good is it?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 20 Apr 2013, "None" wrote in rec.audio.pro:

Here I am responding using Window Live Mail. It positions
the cursor for top-posting, but deleting the prepared top-post
space and sending the cursor to the bottom are a few short
keystrokes that I do without even thinking about it. It's not
that WLM wrecks the thread by itself; it's people who don't
care to learn how to properly post on Usenet, or don't care
to set up their reader to do so. If I could figure out how to
stop it from trying to top-post, I would set that up correctly,
too. I've been told that it's not possible with WLM, but I've
also been told that it can't be configured to quote correctly,
which simply isn’t true.

Ah, but you're using a very old version, from 2009. That was the last
one that could quote correctly. That function is broken in every
version since then. You might be able to download that old version
(ver. 14) around the 'net, but not from Microsoft.

I've heard that they have abandoned Windows Live Mail, so it's not
something that's likely to be fixed.

It's a crappy newsreader, but it does the job, far better than
that bull**** Gurgle website that idiots use.

Ain't that the truth. Still, I read Usenet on Google Groups when I use
my tablet computer because I haven't found any decent readers for
Android.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

Jeff Henig wrote:
Nil wrote:
[...]

I'm using Thunderbird when I'm on my laptop, but NewsTap when on my iPhone.

One of a very few issues with NewsTap is that the filter doesn't work very
well. You can set up filters to your heart's content, but it doesn't block
any messages--it just colors them differently.

Otherwise, it's a good reader. But I also don't know if it'll work for
Android. You might look and see if it does.

NewsTap filters work, but you have to set up your filters to "mark as
read", then download your groups twice. The first time, the flagged
messages are marked as read, and on the second pass, stuff marked as read
is deleted. Now if you want to keep read posts, then I think you're in
trouble.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Nil writes:

On 20 Apr 2013, "Steve King"
wrote in rec.audio.pro:

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for
reading newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've
blown two afternoons trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird.
Can't figure out how to get it to sent a user ID and password to
news.Eternal-September.org.

snip

There aren't a lot of newsreaders any more - Usenet is fading away and
nobody is writing software for it much any more. Still, there are a few
old ones that still work...

If you're a true curmudgeon, like I am, you use a SSH2 dumb-terminal program to
shell login to a remote UNIX system. There, you can use rn, nn, pine, et al.

I use nn for news and pine for email. Blisteringly fast because they're text only
(and all commands are via the keyboard), and stupidly secure because you can't click
on anything and nothing is dumped on your system unless you go out of your way to
get it. Any, you have the option to expose all header info. (It's a hoot to see all
the email malware attachments so fully revealed, and also know they're inert on such
a set up.)

The new-fangled apps could take some lessons from these fossile programs, that's for
sure. YMMV.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 17:12:00 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Please reconsider. WLM may be comfortable for you, but it wrecks the
thread from everybody else's point of view due to its complete
inability to quote previous material. Your reply here is an example -
it's impossible to tell who you're responding to. You've left out the
them, WLM makes them look like your own words.

Not exactly. WLM includes the name of the source, and the source itself -- but
it doesn't usually add the or other character that indicates new text.

The character indicates old text, not new. If you look at the text
above, all of it - yours and the previous - appears to comes from the
same generation as your news reader has wrecked the threading.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:28:29 -0400, Mike Rivers
wrote:

On 4/20/2013 3:33 PM, Steve King wrote:

I've blown two afternoons
trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out how to get it to
sent a user ID and password to news.Eternal-September.org.

The trouble with stuff like this is that you do it once and then you
forget how. I'm using Thunderbird to access this newsgroup through
Eternal September, so it definitely works. I'm still using WinXP, but
(hopefully) Thunderbird is Thunderbird.

Looking over the settings, you need to set up a separate SMTP (outgoing)
news server (outgoing.eternal-september.org) as well as an incoming
server ((news.eternal-september.org). There's a place for your user name
in the outgoing server setup. I don't see a place for the password, but
I think it asks for it the first time you try to send mail to the
server, and then it remembers it.

I'm using an old copy of Forte Agent (there is Forte Free Agent out
there, which is just as good). There is no setting up to do, it just
does it right, straight out of the box.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

Nil:
Please reconsider. WLM may be comfortable for you, but it wrecks the

thread from everybody else's point of view due to its complete inability to
quote previous material. It's impossible to tell who you're responding to.

But you could spend a few seconds of your time for a smart quoting,
simplifying reading :-)

--
Gianluca

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

I'm using an old copy of Forte Agent (there is Forte Free Agent out
there, which is just as good). There is no setting up to do, it just
does it right, straight out of the box.

Yes, I too am amazed that nobody had recommended Forte Agent. I consider it
_the_ newsreader... highly configurable, rock solid (never once stalled in 20
years), cheap. Can't quite understand those posters who are blissfully oblivious
to their newsreader's improper handling of quoted text.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 10:29:20 +0200, Tom McCreadie wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

I'm using an old copy of Forte Agent (there is Forte Free Agent out
there, which is just as good). There is no setting up to do, it just
does it right, straight out of the box.

Yes, I too am amazed that nobody had recommended Forte Agent. I
consider it _the_ newsreader... highly configurable, rock solid (never
once stalled in 20 years), cheap. Can't quite understand those posters
who are blissfully oblivious to their newsreader's improper handling of
quoted text.

I'm posting this using "Pan" on Eternal September, which I installed after
getting fed up with Thunderbird. I had no trouble setting it up and it
seems to do what I want. It says it runs on XP, Vista, W7, MacOS and
Linux. Not tried it on W8. It's free.

If you dig around on the download area on the Forte site the old Forte
Agent is still downloadable from them. I've downloaded and installed it,
but haven't bothered to try it yet.

In my opinion the best news and email reader by far is the quirky old
English thing called "Turnpike", which I usually post from. Sadly, the ISP
who encouraged it and then bought it has been dissolved into some
corporate entity with the inevitable result that it has disappeared.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 4/20/2013 3:33 PM, Steve King wrote:
I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two afternoons
trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out how to get it to
sent a user ID and password to news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good
reviews, but I'm ready to move on. Ready to even pay for software if I have
to.

Thunderbird is an excellent newsreader. I looked long and hard before switching
to it years ago. If all else fails, let me know, and I will help you set it up
may be with a TeamViewer session.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:

[...]

First, this news group is great. What a resource for everything. The
screen shots and description of Pan are very appealing to me. However, I
downloaded the GTK+ libraries, which seem to be a prerequisite for Pan, and
could not unzip them with 7-zip. I didn't go to the next step of
downloading a command line unzip program. And, I'm not sure what I would do
with those files anyway. I hate it, when I run full-bore against the wall
oif my ignorance. Like Mike said earlier, we struggle through some of this
stuff and then never have to re-do or remember what we did for years. In
any case, Bill if you have any hints on what I do with the GTK+ runtime
libraries I'd be interested. Otherwise, I think I'm back to trying to
figure out the install of Thunderbird. I really regret the slow, painful
demise of Usenet. I'm willing to endure some pain to avoid Google Groups.
Thanks for all the contributions and wise observations on this OT shout-out.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"Steve King" wrote in message
I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two
afternoons trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out how
to get it to sent a user ID and password to news.Eternal-September.org.
It gets good reviews, but I'm ready to move on. Ready to even pay for
software if I have to.

Sorry - I've tried most, bu have not come across one that does all that OE
does, in a similar straightforward manner. Not that OE doesn't have serious
omissions when it comes to binaries ....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:33:45 PM UTC-5, Steve King wrote:

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two afternoons
trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out how to get it to
sent a user ID and password to news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good
reviews, but I'm ready to move on. Ready to even pay for software if I have
to.

What's wrong with Google Groups reader?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price wrote:
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:33:45 PM UTC-5, Steve King wrote:

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two
afternoons trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure
out how to get it to sent a user ID and password to
news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good reviews, but I'm ready to
move on. Ready to even pay for software if I have to.

What's wrong with Google Groups reader?

Nothing, I suppose. However, I'm used to a much, much faster experience
using news reader software and having the ability to download messages and
read off-line. I'd hate to give that up.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
James Price wrote:
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:33:45 PM UTC-5, Steve King wrote:

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two afternoons
trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out how to get it to
sent a user ID and password to news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good
reviews, but I'm ready to move on. Ready to even pay for software if I have
to.

What's wrong with Google Groups reader?

Just about everything, beginning with the huge amount of spam that you will
see on Google and nowhere else, and ending with the poor threading.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

[...]

Well, I've now tried installing Pan onto my windows 8 32-bit test machine,
and it went in fine, downloads news fine and as far as I can tell works as
it should.

I made a directory C:\Program Files\Pan, went to the Pan website and
followed their directions to the gtk2 Sourceforge download site and
downloaded the current .exe build (ie not the libraries). I ran this
installer, and accepted all the defaults while pointing it at the Pan
directory. Then, from pan.rebelbase.com/download, I went to the
Contributed Packages area, selected Windows and downloaded the most recent
"experimental release".

Much easier to do than to describe.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:

[...]

Excellent. That's my project for tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, April 22, 2013 8:08:21 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:

James Price wrote:

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:33:45 PM UTC-5, Steve King wrote:

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two afternoons
trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out how to get it to
sent a user ID and password to news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good
reviews, but I'm ready to move on. Ready to even pay for software if I have
to.

What's wrong with Google Groups reader?

Just about everything, beginning with the huge amount of spam that you will
see on Google and nowhere else, and ending with the poor threading.

I use it on a semi-regular basis and find it convenient for reading and replying, but I honestly don't know what spam you're referring to, nor have I experienced any issues with threading, but that's me.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
S. King S. King is offline

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:33:45 -0500, Steve King wrote:

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two
afternoons trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out
how to get it to sent a user ID and password to
news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good reviews, but I'm ready to move
on. Ready to even pay for software if I have to.

Steve King

I've got Pan News Reader installed on my Win7 machine. So far, so good.
There is a lot of similarity to Outlook Express, which I've been using.
Thanks to everyone for their input on this OT subject.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 04/20/2013 12:33 PM, Steve King wrote:
I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two afternoons
trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out how to get it to
sent a user ID and password to news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good
reviews, but I'm ready to move on. Ready to even pay for software if I have
to.

Thunderbird is really nice, but if you really have to give up,
try 'pan'. I used to use it before Thunderbird. It's probably
even a little nicer, but I like having my email and news in one place.

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro
J.C. Scott[_2_] J.C. Scott[_2_] is offline

"Steve King" wrote in message ...
James Price wrote:
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:33:45 PM UTC-5, Steve King wrote:

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two
afternoons trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure
out how to get it to sent a user ID and password to
news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good reviews, but I'm ready to
move on. Ready to even pay for software if I have to.

What's wrong with Google Groups reader?

Nothing, I suppose. However, I'm used to a much, much faster experience
using news reader software and having the ability to download messages and
read off-line. I'd hate to give that up.

In that case, I'd recommend Forte Agent.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
S. King S. King is offline

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 00:11:53 -0500, J.C. Scott wrote:

"Steve King" wrote in message ...
James Price wrote:
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:33:45 PM UTC-5, Steve King wrote:

I'm retiring my WinXP machine. Can't use Outlook Express for reading
newsgroups any more. What's your recommendation? I've blown two
afternoons trying to configure Mozilla thunderbird. Can't figure out
how to get it to sent a user ID and password to
news.Eternal-September.org. It gets good reviews, but I'm ready to
move on. Ready to even pay for software if I have to.

What's wrong with Google Groups reader?

Nothing, I suppose. However, I'm used to a much, much faster experience
using news reader software and having the ability to download messages
and read off-line. I'd hate to give that up.

In that case, I'd recommend Forte Agent.

After a recommendation and help from 'Bill', I installed Pan news reader.
It's free. It works great, just what I had hoped to find.

Steve

Mac Newsreader M. T. MacPhee Pro Audio 2 July 13th 04 08:11 PM
Mac Newsreader M. T. MacPhee Pro Audio 0 July 11th 04 07:32 PM
Configuring a newsreader with AOL, possible? TheBIessedDead Car Audio 9 March 3rd 04 08:15 PM
Why a newsreader? TheBIessedDead Car Audio 5 February 19th 04 02:21 AM
OT Newsreader Carl Saiyed Car Audio 3 July 29th 03 04:04 AM