TC VoiceLive 2 or Eventide H3000 for vocal?

Old March 10th 12, 09:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki

Default TC VoiceLive 2 or Eventide H3000 for vocal?

Now that both units hover in the $500 - $800 range, I'm trying to
determine which offers better harmonizing & vocal bettering quality.
The older Eventide is more famous, but the TC is newer, perhaps
further improved? I don't see any comparison on the Web. Did anyone
compare the two or care to offer an opinion? (Other than "try
both?" :-) Thank you in advance
Old March 11th 12, 03:46 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki

Hmm, your mentioning of the manual reminds me of the TC Quintet I
owned, 2008-ish. Even with the skimpy "manual", I could never get the
UI to work. I always got stuck with a blinking patch number at some
patch I didn't want, and nothing would get me out of there short of a
power cycle. Ultimately I just resold the unit, I got no productive
use out of it for a second. This from a guy who has no difficulties
mastering Kyma X.

I actually told this story to my Swee****er rep, asking, "can we be
sure the VoiceLive 2 doesn't have the same useless UI?" That was my
only question. Didn't get a reply in 3 days so far, I guess the answer
is negative... :-\
Old April 27th 12, 10:43 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki

I started out with the VoiceLive 2, I'm still chasing a good deal on
the Eventide. (Any rickety H3000 will do, I got the D/SE replacement
chipset already to plug into it.)

One thing about the VoiceLive 2 is, I can sing a note, hold a swanky 8
key jazz chord on a connected MIDI keyboard, and Preset 202 will
harmonize my voice to those 8 notes, quite pleasantly too. I only
read the Eventide H3000 manual so far, but is MIDI and Parameter
Modulation chapter does not detail such capability. It only says "MIDI
notes could be used to set the amount of pitch shift. ... See the
chapter of Parameter Modulation." where it adds nothing more. (Is it
monophonic shift? Polyphonic? Restricted to scale? 3-voice only? Go
guess.)
Old April 28th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Keoki > wrote:

> I started out with the VoiceLive 2, I'm still chasing a good deal on
> the Eventide. (Any rickety H3000 will do, I got the D/SE replacement
> chipset already to plug into it.)
>
> One thing about the VoiceLive 2 is, I can sing a note, hold a swanky 8
> key jazz chord on a connected MIDI keyboard, and Preset 202 will
> harmonize my voice to those 8 notes, quite pleasantly too. I only
> read the Eventide H3000 manual so far, but is MIDI and Parameter
> Modulation chapter does not detail such capability. It only says "MIDI
> notes could be used to set the amount of pitch shift. ... See the
> chapter of Parameter Modulation." where it adds nothing more. (Is it
> monophonic shift? Polyphonic? Restricted to scale? 3-voice only? Go
> guess.)

Drop me an email. I have an H3000 that I aim to sell shortly. Depending
on where you live maybe we could make a deal.

I'm about to off most of my hardware. I'm through recording others,
except for a couple of trios in which I play, and am going to unload
what I no longer plan to use.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Old May 5th 12, 06:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki

I have an answer from Eventide, the H3000 will do the MIDI-controlled
8-voice pitch shifting what I described. They are also working on a
native version of the Eventide Octavox plugin that will eventually do
the same thing in software, but it is not out yet.

The Pro Tools Octavox costs ~ $500 anyway, I almost scored a used
H3000 on ebay for that in March.
Old May 24th 12, 01:02 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki

While still fishing for a good deal on a H3000 on eBay, I ran into an
interesting issue with the VoiceLive 2. No matter what I do with the
machine, the vocal harmonies seems to have a tiny lag, even with all
delay, modulation, reverb, etc. effects off. It's not a huge echo
slapback, just a tiny lag, but over time it causes me to drift more
and more behind the tempo as I sing the each note more behind the beat
to compensate for the lagging previous note.

Do Eventides have this weird phenomenon too?
Old May 28th 12, 05:16 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Keoki > wrote:

> While still fishing for a good deal on a H3000 on eBay, I ran into an
> interesting issue with the VoiceLive 2. No matter what I do with the
> machine, the vocal harmonies seems to have a tiny lag, even with all
> delay, modulation, reverb, etc. effects off. It's not a huge echo
> slapback, just a tiny lag, but over time it causes me to drift more
> and more behind the tempo as I sing the each note more behind the beat
> to compensate for the lagging previous note.
>
> Do Eventides have this weird phenomenon too?

Anytime there is conversion there will be latency. I'm not familiar with
the VL2, but I have many times sung "harmony" via the H3000 and not met
that problem.

How are you routing the feed and return? Does the VL2 have a direct,
non-processed path? Some processors do, and some don't, requiring that
any signal fed them travel ADC>DAC.

Old June 24th 12, 12:05 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki

Hello Hank,

I was away from the group, but I'm back. I traced the cause of the
VoiceLive 2 delay to user bungling. I unwittingly created a feedback
loop at the patchbay.

Well, that's resolved. I'm still fishing for an Eventide, because I
still find small niggles with the Helicon. It removes the vibrato I
sing from the harmonies, its pitch shift quality is okay but I wonder
if the Eventide doesn't do this better...
Old June 26th 12, 12:44 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki

Something weird is going on... normally there are 3-4 Eventide H3000
(and newer) harmonizers on eBay. This week there is suddenly 20. And
lots of top of the line models, when normally I rarely see even one.
Hmm, the old timers must have gotten a preview of the Native (VST)
version of H3000... I guess it's good :-)

Want to take a CD track, isolate the solo vocal then combine them toraise the level of the vocal but not create harshness muzician21 Pro Audio 10 March 12th 09 06:31 PM
FS: Eventide H3000 audioguy Pro Audio 0 January 12th 05 05:41 PM
Eventide H3000 ROM upgrade - Backlight dies Mike Diack Pro Audio 14 September 10th 04 09:31 PM
Eventide H3000 ROM upgrade - Backlight dies Mike Diack Pro Audio 0 September 8th 04 05:08 AM
FA: Eventide H3000, Alesis BRC, Focusrite Compounder. Excellent Condition, NR!! SouthwestSound Pro Audio 0 March 23rd 04 12:53 PM