Connecting an old mic to PC

Old April 22nd 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Brett DeAngelo

Default Connecting an old mic to PC

Hi,

I have a balanced microphone that uses a 5 pin din connector, this
connector is connected to a power source that gives off another 5 pin
din connector (which connects directly to the amp usually).

I tried using cables that converted the 5 pin din connection to a
3.5mm jack so that it would fit into my computer, however no input
sound came through, only quiet static noises - I was told that the
line in on a PC feeds small current to mics and may have interfered
with the external power source.

Anyway, given this information, is it possible to connect the mic to
my PC? If so, can you please explain how.
Old April 22nd 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Brett DeAngelo > wrote:

>I have a balanced microphone that uses a 5 pin din connector, this
>connector is connected to a power source that gives off another 5 pin
>din connector (which connects directly to the amp usually).

What makes you think it's balanced? What model microphone is it?
What model power source is it? Is it a Uher product?

>I tried using cables that converted the 5 pin din connection to a
>3.5mm jack so that it would fit into my computer, however no input
>sound came through, only quiet static noises - I was told that the
>line in on a PC feeds small current to mics and may have interfered
>with the external power source.

Could be. Could also be that the pinout is not standard. Could also
be a level issue; PC soundcards want to see a lot of signal.

>Anyway, given this information, is it possible to connect the mic to
>my PC? If so, can you please explain how.

No, more information is needed.

Old April 23rd 12, 12:57 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey

недеља, 22. април 2012. 23.04.28 UTC+2, Scott Dorsey је написао/ла:
> Brett DeAngelo
> wrote:
> >
> >I have a balanced microphone that uses a 5 pin din connector, this

> What makes you think it's balanced? What model microphone is it?
> What model power source is it? Is it a Uher product?

My guess too. Came with old tape deck, Uher, or whatever.
Old April 23rd 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On 4/22/2012 11:21 AM, Brett DeAngelo wrote:

> I have a balanced microphone that uses a 5 pin din connector, this
> connector is connected to a power source that gives off another 5 pin
> din connector (which connects directly to the amp usually).

> Anyway, given this information, is it possible to connect the mic to
> my PC? If so, can you please explain how.

I'm sorry, but my remote eyeballs aren't working well this morning. Do
you think you could provide some details on this mic? Make and model?
May be post a photo somewhere?

A 5-pin DIN connector is an old European standard, but since you said it
goes to a "power source" that suggests that it may be a tube mic or a
condenser mic that requires external power. It could even be a stereo
mic. Without knowing what you actually have, we can only make guesses,
and you're as good at that, probably, as anyone else.

Do you know for a fact that the mic works? Even if it's connected
properly, it might still only give you noise or nothing.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Old April 29th 12, 04:10 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_]

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 8:21:32 AM UTC-7, Brett DeAngelo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a balanced microphone that uses a 5 pin din connector, this
> connector is connected to a power source that gives off another 5 pin
> din connector (which connects directly to the amp usually).
>
> I tried using cables that converted the 5 pin din connection to a
> 3.5mm jack so that it would fit into my computer, however no input
> sound came through, only quiet static noises - I was told that the
> line in on a PC feeds small current to mics and may have interfered
> with the external power source.
>
> Anyway, given this information, is it possible to connect the mic to
> my PC? If so, can you please explain how.

You might save some time and look here. Some as low as $18.
<https://www.google.com/search?q=USB+microphone&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-beta#q=USB+microphone&hl=en&client=firefox-beta&hs=c00&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&prmd=imvnsr&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u &sa=X&ei=8bCcT_7-M-6aiAfBt4yTDw&ved=0CMIBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r _cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=dc8478f6a1a1e3a2&biw=1440&bih= 771>