DAW utilizing multi core?

Old April 26th 12, 01:17 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_]

Default DAW utilizing multi core?

On Wed 2012-Apr-25 13:29, Steve King writes:
>> You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or recording
>> artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster rappers who can't sing
>> or play a note right?

> Perhaps, Trevor, by your definitions. What they can do is connect
> to an audience, touch the emotions of that audience, hold an
> audience, control an audience, something that is rarer than rare.
> Thousands of singers and players that are never off pitch, never
> miss a note, can't get to first base in the industry, because, for
> whatever reason, when they play and sing not enough people are
> emotionally gobsmacked.

INdeed, which is why I say if someone enjoys it have at it,
it just isn't a type of work i choose to seek out. I find
the music extremely unmusical imho, the "artists" not
pleasant to work with, etc. But, it obviously connects with people. As for me, I'd just as soon listen to musicians who can play and sing. I can emotionally connect with Duke
Ellington, MIles Davis, the Beatles, Harry Chapin, or mErle
Haggard, to name a few.

Regards,
Richard
Old April 26th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

"Steve King" > wrote in message
>> You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or
>> recording artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster rappers who
>> can't sing or play a note right?

> Perhaps, Trevor, by your definitions. What they can do is connect to an
> audience, touch the emotions of that audience, hold an audience, control
> an audience, something that is rarer than rare.

Well they obviously have something which touches there audience, but still
can't see how that sells millions of records and not just concert tickets.
But I have no problem with peoples different tastes in "music" though.

> Thousands of singers and players that are never off pitch, never miss a
> note, can't get to first base in the industry, because, for whatever
> reason, when they play and sing not enough people are emotionally
> gobsmacked.

Or unfortunately their audience just doesn't buy records in the same
numbers. I work with many artists like that, some with gold records from a
few decades ago, still wonderful musicians, still wow their audiences, but
except for the odd festival, struggle to get a decent audience at gigs, and
struggle to sell CD's. That's the nature of the music industry
unfortunately.
I bet money that Puff Daddy and Jay-Z struggle to get an audience 20 years
from now, but I'd certainly be happy to retire on their money :-)

Trevor.

Old April 26th 12, 08:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

"Jeff Henig" > wrote in message
> Having chops doesn't guarantee having a soul that can touch a heart. It's
> something I've long wished some of my more talented and gifted friends
> would learn.
>
> What's the point of all of that talent if you can't connect with your
> audience and make them fellow participants?

True, but totally ignores the rapidly changing or fickle nature of public
admiration. An artist doesn't suddenly have " a soul that can touch a heart"
one minute, and lose it the next, and yet they often go from millions of
fans, to nothing, and sometimes back again. That's the nature of show biz in
general. When you're hot you're hot, and when you're not you're not! :-)

Trevor.

Old April 26th 12, 11:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Marc Wielage wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:18:35 -0700, Trevor wrote
> (in article >):
>
>> You do realise that some of the highest earning "musicians", (or
>> recording artists anyway), on the planet already are gangster
>> rappers who can't sing or play a note right?
>> ------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

> Jay-Z's net worth is $450 million. Puff Daddy's net worth is $475
> million. Dr. Dre is worth at least $125 million.

"Worth" ?

Old April 26th 12, 06:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_]

On Thu 2012-Apr-26 03:55, Trevor writes:
> "Jeff Henig" > wrote in message
> -septembe
> r.org...
>> Having chops doesn't guarantee having a soul that can touch a heart. It's
>> something I've long wished some of my more talented and gifted friends
>> would learn.

would agree with that, so far as it goes, but then ...

> True, but totally ignores the rapidly changing or fickle nature of
> public admiration. An artist doesn't suddenly have " a soul that can
> touch a heart" one minute, and lose it the next, and yet they often
> go from millions of fans, to nothing, and sometimes back again.
> That's the nature of show biz in general. When you're hot you're
> hot, and when you're not you're not! :-)

Right, and remember that these days "public admiration" is
manipulated byu those with the capability to manipulate it.
Many of these 'stars" are admired because they've been
heavily marketed. YEt note that people still rediscover
Hank Williams, or the Beatles even today because they're
exposed to it by older generations, and find it to be good
music that does indeed touch them somewhere.

YEs, when I do find myself exposed to a lot of thi stuff
that's been shoved at me by the marketing folks I endeavor
to keep an open mind, but often I find myself wishing for
the off switch, or escaping the aural bombardment of junk as soon as possible. I'll admit to being somewhat of a snob.
Unless you can entertain and connect with that audience
using just your talents I'm probably not likely to take you
seriously as an artist or performer. Forget the 40 foot
video screen adn the flying pig, if you ain't got the chops, then you ain't got the chops.

Regards,
Richard