The Autotune Evil Empire - Version 7

Old April 23rd 12, 04:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns

Default The Autotune Evil Empire - Version 7

I very rarely use the Autotune beast, but have had to do so
occasionally and will need it again on two current projects. My
introduction was to Autotune 5, which is operationally odd, IMO, and
mostly unusable.

I've been told I'm not the only one to have fought version 5 (seems
to have an abundance of operations and interface quirks, typically
doing more harm than good). One client told me Autotune 4 was great
at doing what it should do both in controls and expected results, but
that it crashed way too often... Sigh.

So the question is whether Autotune 7 is significantly "better" in
the opinion of those who've used it and possibly earlier versions.

Yes, I'll grab a demo, but general thoughts/experiences with "gotchas" are
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
Mobile Audio
Old April 23rd 12, 06:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_]

Frank Stearns >
said...news:gfKdnTawMqSG6wjSnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@poste d.palinacquisition:

> I very rarely use the Autotune beast, but have had to do so
> occasionally and will need it again on two current projects. My
> introduction was to Autotune 5, which is operationally odd, IMO, and
> mostly unusable.
>
> I've been told I'm not the only one to have fought version 5 (seems
> to have an abundance of operations and interface quirks, typically
> doing more harm than good). One client told me Autotune 4 was great
> at doing what it should do both in controls and expected results, but
> that it crashed way too often... Sigh.
>
> So the question is whether Autotune 7 is significantly "better" in
> the opinion of those who've used it and possibly earlier versions.
>
> Yes, I'll grab a demo, but general thoughts/experiences with "gotchas"

are
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Frank
> Mobile Audio

Can't say anything about 7, but have you looked at Melodyne ?

david
Old April 23rd 12, 06:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:00:24 +0000 (UTC), david gourley
> wrote:

>Frank Stearns >
>said...news:gfKdnTawMqSG6wjSnZ2dnUVZ_sydnZ2d@post ed.palinacquisition:
>
>> I very rarely use the Autotune beast, but have had to do so
>> occasionally and will need it again on two current projects. My
>> introduction was to Autotune 5, which is operationally odd, IMO, and
>> mostly unusable.
>>
>> I've been told I'm not the only one to have fought version 5 (seems
>> to have an abundance of operations and interface quirks, typically
>> doing more harm than good). One client told me Autotune 4 was great
>> at doing what it should do both in controls and expected results, but
>> that it crashed way too often... Sigh.
>>
>> So the question is whether Autotune 7 is significantly "better" in
>> the opinion of those who've used it and possibly earlier versions.
>>
>> Yes, I'll grab a demo, but general thoughts/experiences with "gotchas"

>are
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Frank
>> Mobile Audio

>Can't say anything about 7, but have you looked at Melodyne ?

+1

Old April 23rd 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
MarkK

> >> So the question is whether Autotune 7 is significantly "better" in
> >> the opinion of those who've used it and possibly earlier versions.
> >>
> >> Yes, I'll grab a demo, but general thoughts/experiences with "gotchas"

> >are
> >> appreciated.

or try this free one

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

I'd be curious what others think of this one, it is the only one I have ever
used so I have no frame of refrence.

Seems ok to me

Mark

Old April 23rd 12, 11:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Jenn[_2_]

In article >, "MarkK" >
wrote:

> > >are
> > >>

> or try this free one
>
> http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm
>
> I'd be curious what others think of this one, it is the only one I have ever
> used so I have no frame of refrence.
>
> Seems ok to me
>
> Mark

They're ALL evil.
;-)

--
www.jennifermartinmusic.com
Old April 23rd 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

MarkK wrote:

>>> are
>>>>

> or try this free one
>
> http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm
>
> I'd be curious what others think of this one, it is the only one I have ever
> used so I have no frame of refrence.
>
> Seems ok to me
>
> Mark

It's not bad but it's crashey.

--
Les Cargill

Old April 24th 12, 07:40 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:
>> Mark
>>

> It's not bad but it's crashey.

That sounds like 'bad' to me ....

Old April 24th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

geoff wrote:
> Les Cargill wrote:
>>> Mark
>>>

>> It's not bad but it's crashey.

> That sounds like 'bad' to me ....
>
> geoff

It's worth every penny you pay for it.

there is more than one kind of bad...

--
Les Cargill
Old April 26th 12, 01:39 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
MarkK

> >> It's not bad but it's crashey.

> > That sounds like 'bad' to me ....
> >
> > geoff
> >

> It's worth every penny you pay for it.
>
> there is more than one kind of bad...
>
> --
> Les Cargill

Crashy?
you mean the computer crashes,,, it has never crashed for me running under
N Track Studio..

I'm wondering what you think of the sound quality?

How good/bad is it at pitch correction compared to the high priced spread?

Mark

Old April 26th 12, 12:11 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

MarkK wrote:

>>> That sounds like 'bad' to me ....
>>>
>>> geoff
>>>

>> It's worth every penny you pay for it.
>>
>> there is more than one kind of bad...
>>
>> --
>> Les Cargill

> Crashy?
> you mean the computer crashes,,, it has never crashed for me running under
> N Track Studio..

Just tried it again. If you save the song file with that plugin on a
track, you can no longer open the song file. It crashes on startup.
That might be a mono vs. stereo thing; didn't drill down much in
diagnosing the problem.

I am also using N-Track, version 3.0. It's overwhelmingly not
crashey*. Some plugins are.

*on Win7 or WinXP.... there are more stable programs now, like
Reaper or Sonar. Sonar even isolates itself from crashing plugins.

> I'm wondering what you think of the sound quality?

Not bad, if that makes any sense for a plugin like that. I tend to
lean towards pitch correcting with the pitch shift in CoolEdit 96
if at all.

> How good/bad is it at pitch correction compared to the high priced spread?

I don't have much exposure to the high priced ones. Ran the 30 days out
on an eval of Autotune a long time ago, but formed no opinion of
the sound quality.

I used GSnap exactly once on a real recording. Set up a temporary
song file and printed the tuned version of a vocal.

--
Les Cargill