Connecting an old mic to PC

Old April 22nd 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_]

Default Connecting an old mic to PC

On Sun 2012-Apr-22 12:39, Bob writes:
>> I tried using cables that converted the 5 pin din connection to a
>> 3.5mm jack so that it would fit into my computer, however no input
>> sound came through, only quiet static noises - I was told that the
>> line in on a PC feeds small current to mics and may have interfered
>> with the external power source.

> Do you have the pin assignments of the five pins?

I don't think I saw where he specified what the make and
model of the mic is. I've got an old ev 666 with a 5 pin I
think, I've got to look inside and see if xyl and I can see
what's waht to go to xlr 3 pin eventually <g..

That might help us too. He may wish to use an external
preamp and convert from 5 pin din to regular 3 pin xlr, then go in line level from the preamp from there. Make and model of microphone would tell us more.

Regards,
Richard