Coax or Component?

Old April 10th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.audio.car

Default Coax or Component?

Advice needed, please. And this can help future internet searchers.

I’m replacing the factory stereo and speakers in my van. There are
speaker covers for tweeters in the corners of the dashboard up against
the windshield. The door speakers are at your feet. The rear
speakers are behind the middle row of seats.

I will be buying near the bottom of the line items. My tuner will be
the JVC KW-HDR81BTJ, at $229.99. My speakers will be Alpine, Polk, or
Kenwood. Coax are $99 a pair. Component are $129 a set. The rear
speakers will be coax. Best Buy will be doing it all. From my last
van, I know even these low-end items will have better sound than what
I now have.

Assume it goes two ways: Best Buy lives up to its reputation and
doesn’t aim the tweeters. Will I experience shrillness, splash, de-
emphasized midrange, and all the treble coming from the right and
regret not just getting coax? Or Best Buy surprises me and aims the
tweeters as best they can under the grills at my head in the driver’s
seat (I don’t care about the passengers!). Will it sound $30 better?
Old April 11th 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.audio.car
gregz

" > wrote:
> Advice needed, please. And this can help future internet searchers.
>
> Im replacing the factory stereo and speakers in my van. There are
> speaker covers for tweeters in the corners of the dashboard up against
> the windshield. The door speakers are at your feet. The rear
> speakers are behind the middle row of seats.
>
> I will be buying near the bottom of the line items. My tuner will be
> the JVC KW-HDR81BTJ, at $229.99. My speakers will be Alpine, Polk, or
> Kenwood. Coax are $99 a pair. Component are $129 a set. The rear
> speakers will be coax. Best Buy will be doing it all. From my last
> van, I know even these low-end items will have better sound than what
> I now have.
>
> Assume it goes two ways: Best Buy lives up to its reputation and
> doesnt aim the tweeters. Will I experience shrillness, splash, de-
> emphasized midrange, and all the treble coming from the right and
> regret not just getting coax? Or Best Buy surprises me and aims the
> tweeters as best they can under the grills at my head in the drivers
> seat (I dont care about the passengers!). Will it sound $30 better?

I spent 40 hours setting up system in my old truck. How much time will they
spend, installing, listening, modifying ?

Greg

OK to use TV coax for microphone? Chris Siz Tech 128 May 12th 08 04:38 AM
optical better than coax??? MZ Tech 8 July 6th 05 11:59 PM
hoax or coax? Institut de Sexualité humaine Audio Opinions 2 March 21st 05 10:21 PM
Coax as speaker cable??? kyser Vacuum Tubes 67 October 13th 03 10:22 AM
dolby coax to L,C,R,LS,RS,LFE gobjef Pro Audio 11 August 13th 03 02:57 PM