Posted to rec.audio.pro
joe h joe h is offline

Default Millennia HV3 ... different AD card?

Hello,

Millennia Media makes an add-in card for the HV3 preamp. But the
outputs are very industrial and clunky (8 channels of AES on a 24 pin
Tascam connector)... ugh!

Is there a high-quality, computer-oriented, after market card that
slots into the Millennia preamps? I'm running Toslink into a MacBook
Pro. So first two choices would be USB or Toslink output on the
card. A distant second choice would be SP/Dif. I'm not even trying
to consider AES. Way too industrial. I'm talking about a simple, one
channel 3 feet cable run into a MacBook!

Not sure why Millennia hasn't addressed the podcast 1-2 channel studio
environment yet. Having a USB or Toslink out on a two-channel AD card
(or even a one channel) would go a long way toward demonstrating that
they understand and value our market. I see no meaningful innovation
on Millennia's part in 10 years regarding this aspect of their
products. I find that astonishing to be honest!

Maybe a high quality third-party has spotted the glaring gap in
Millennia's product line and provided the solution. So that's why I'm
asking here. If there is one, r.a.p. would know about it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Oct 19, 11:19*pm, joe h wrote:
[...]

The podcaster market is very small, and mostly interested in low-
priced gear (a reasonable preference, given the necessarily low audio
quality of the transmission medium, which doesn't particularly reward
higher quality original material). Millennia has chosen to operate in
a higher-priced segment of the market. They've chosen their niche, and
it's usually good business, once you've become established in a niche,
to stay there. We can all think of exceptions, but it's usually a good
idea.

There may be room for another manufacturer who specializes in gear
aimed at podcasters, but I don't expect it to be Millennia.

And by the way, what to you have against something being "industrial"?
To me that usually connotes gear that's well-built enough to be
reliable over the long term. XLR connectors became the standard for a
reason.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"joe h" wrote in message
[...]

I'm under the impression that the usual deliverable for the podcast market
is something like a 64kb lossy compressed mono file. The usual production
environment is like someone's kitchen, bedroom, or office. Not exactly the
working environment that $2 killobuck mic preamps are targeting, no?

Is there really a significant vanity market for podcasting hardware?

BTW, which Schoeps microphone are you planning to get to go with the preamp?

CMH 64U?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

joe h wrote:

Hello,

Millennia Media makes an add-in card for the HV3 preamp. But the
outputs are very industrial and clunky (8 channels of AES on a 24 pin
Tascam connector)... ugh!

Is there a high-quality, computer-oriented, after market card that
slots into the Millennia preamps? I'm running Toslink into a MacBook
Pro. So first two choices would be USB or Toslink output on the
card. A distant second choice would be SP/Dif. I'm not even trying
to consider AES. Way too industrial. I'm talking about a simple, one
channel 3 feet cable run into a MacBook!

Not sure why Millennia hasn't addressed the podcast 1-2 channel studio
environment yet.

Because most of those 'casters are happy with a buck-ninety-five Chinese
mic with built-in USB output.

Having a USB or Toslink out on a two-channel AD card
(or even a one channel) would go a long way toward demonstrating that
they understand and value our market.

Over thrity-five thousand channels in use worldwide from a customer base
that includes the finest falcities in the world, and you think "your"
market is something they should look at? You misunderstand their
mission, conciserably.

Your market at the moment appears to be one in which people have not
invested much time in learning about that which they seek to undertake.
Start with the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement book, which is a good
beginner's look at audio signal management.

I see no meaningful innovation
on Millennia's part in 10 years regarding this aspect of their
products. I find that astonishing to be honest!

See above. In that ten years how much have _you_ learned about audio?

Maybe a high quality third-party has spotted the glaring gap in
Millennia's product line and provided the solution. So that's why I'm
asking here. If there is one, r.a.p. would know about it.

Get real. There are so many solutions to your "problems" that such
proclamations are laughable.

Get one of the chinese USB mics and go to work.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" wrote in message
joe h wrote:

[...]

Tough-sounding words that are in fact very likely to be relevant and even
accurate.

I wish I wrote them!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Richard Webb wrote:

On Sun 2011-Oct-23 07:02, Arny Krueger writes:

snip
Over thirty-five thousand channels in use worldwide from a customer base
that includes the finest facilities in the world, and you think "your"
market is something they should look at? You misunderstand their
mission, conciderably.

snip again

Get one of the chinese USB mics and go to work.

Tough-sounding words that are in fact very likely to be relevant and
even accurate.

I thought much the same, but I have another suggestion for JOe. A few
months ago Steve King was talking about a little USB output preamp he
liked for voice overs on the go, etc. You'll have to search
rec.arts.movies.production.sound to find his post, but that might be up
your alley. I'd think though for most things as podcasting that your
audience isn't discerning enough to tell the difference whether you really
tried to put out a high quality product or not. This is often the same
audience that might go to karaoke night or something.

I wish I wrote them!

I thought much the same, and can admire JOe's desire to boost the quality
of his work. LIke PEter Larsen I wonder if this is really putting some
shekels in his pocket. IF it is I applaud him for raising or attempting
to raise the bar a bit.

I, too, support Joe's desire to improve results. I went very direct with
him because I think he's been running around in circles chasing problems
and hoping to fix them by invoking terms and concepts that are both
incorrect, and misunderstood by him.

I reiterate: the biggest deal about getting good sound is starting with
good sound, at the source. Yes, follow Steve King's pointer to a good
little preamp, but understand that if I show up at Steve's doorstep with
an SM57 and a Mackie 1202 needing to get a VO in a few minutes, I will
leave a few minutes later with a good VO, because my source knows how to
deliver top quality signal.

Obviously, this is well understood by RAP long-timers, but IME, it seems
to be one of the fundamental aspects of recording that is consistently
overlooked by newbies and even by amateurs who've been at it a while. An
astonishing amount of money gets thrown at downstream problems that can
be fixed for free by not creating the problem in the first place.

Sometimes those problems can _only be fixed at the source_, regardless
of money spent on downstream attempts at repair.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

[...]

Regards,
Richard
.... Remote audio in the southland: See www.gatasound.com
--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

On Sun 2011-Oct-23 14:09, hank alrich writes:

snipped large block of quoted material Hank and I wrote in
the past ...
I, too, support Joe's desire to improve results. I went very direct
with him because I think he's been running around in circles chasing
problems and hoping to fix them by invoking terms and concepts that
are both incorrect, and misunderstood by him.

INdeed, I just don't have the patience to be a good teacher, I'm a little too irrascible for that one g.

I reiterate: the biggest deal about getting good sound is starting
with good sound, at the source. Yes, follow Steve King's pointer to
a good little preamp, but understand that if I show up at Steve's
doorstep with an SM57 and a Mackie 1202 needing to get a VO in a few
minutes, I will leave a few minutes later with a good VO, because my
source knows how to deliver top quality signal.

Who was it in this group used to say in his sig that putting the lion's share of one's effort into what's going to go
into the microphone pays off hugely? I'm paraphrasing of
course, but it's somebody used to hang out here before the
spam and the muddleheads drove him away.

Obviously, this is well understood by RAP long-timers, but IME, it
seems to be one of the fundamental aspects of recording that is
consistently overlooked by newbies and even by amateurs who've been
at it a while. An astonishing amount of money gets thrown at
downstream problems that can be fixed for free by not creating the
problem in the first place.

LEarned that one even before i discovered this group, and
it's been reinforced to me time and time again over the
years. Have even been known to disappoint paying customers
by telling them they need to put a little more time into
rehearsal before they're ready to record, or perform for the public g.

Sometimes those problems can _only be fixed at the source_,
regardless of money spent on downstream attempts at repair.

All you're doing downstream is polishing turds. FIxing the
problem at the source helps even when you find you don't
have the best tools at your disposal on any given occasion.
Fixing problems at the source usually means polishing one's
performance or delivery.

Regards,
Richard