Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] ixtarbrules@yahoo.com is offline

Default Roberts decides on Sotomayor: He's a "no" vote.

((Although I have never been a huge fan of Sen. Roberts, for once I
agree and think he is showing leadership. Bret.))

Roberts decides on Sotomayor: He's a "no" vote. Demos blast "blind
rush to judgment"

"Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts has made up his mind on Judge Sonia Sotomayor.

Put him down as a "no." (And he may be the first GOPer to go on record
opposing her).

Chris Stigall on KCMO-AM asked Roberts this morning whether he feels
compelled to support the Supreme Court nominee as a way of avoiding
the tag of "bigot."

Responded Roberts: "I'm a Marine and nothin’ much scares me. That's
not going to be a consideration in my vote."

This afternoon, Kansas Democrats slammed Roberts for making up his
mind too quickly.

"Partisan politics should never hinder the important process of Senate
confirmation," said Kansas Democratic Party executive director Kenny
Johnston. "I would hope that all senators, Republican or Democrat,
would respectfully wait to hear Judge Sotomayor’s qualifications
before rushing to any snap judgments.

"Judge Sotomayor has a long history of bipartisan support. She was
originally appointed by President George H.W. Bush to the federal
district court and was later promoted to the Second Circuit Court of
Appeals by President Clinton. People across the aisle have recognized
her as one of the best judges in the country.

"This blind rush to judgment by Senator Roberts is simply one more
example of the Republican Party putting politics over people."

On KCMO today, Roberts also said:

"I voted no in 1998 (when she was up for the Appeals Court). I did
not feel that she was appropriate on the Appeals Court. Since that
time she has made statements on the role of the Appeals Court that I
think is improper and incorrect.

"I think that we should be judging people not on race and gender or
background or ethnicity or a very telling story. There are a lot of
peope that have that. My goodness, Clarence Thomas had that, and look
what he got.

"I think that you should be judging people on their qualifications,
whether they will follow the Constitution, and if they do that and
they follow the Constitution and they don’t make laws, they simply
follow the Constitution and interpret it, I will support them.

"With all due respect to the nominee and nothing personal, I do not
plan to vote for her.”

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/18626