Andrew Wright

Default Sound Forge 6.0a Clipping After Compression

I've normalised a file to -16dB RMS, applying dynamic compression, but
it still registers clipping on the file afterwards.

I assumed compression would prevent clipping altogether, in fact, on
SF4, this never seemed to happen. Has the compression changed in
Version 6?

Cheers.
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Andrew Wright" wrote in message om...
I've normalised a file to -16dB RMS, applying dynamic compression, but
it still registers clipping on the file afterwards.

I assumed compression would prevent clipping altogether, in fact, on
SF4, this never seemed to happen. Has the compression changed in
Version 6?

Cheers.

I believe there were options in SF 4 and 5 to choose what the software
would do if normalizing exceeded the peak ceiling; a la "Compress & Limit",
"Peak Limit" or "Ignore and Saturate".

TTBOMK, depending on attack time and other settings, there's no guarantee
that compression will stop transient peaks. I'm not sure about version 6 yet
as I'm just now getting to use it ocassionally. However, the New CDArchitect
that is 'sistered' for SF6, allows 'plug-in chainer' on a song by song basis and
on the 2-buss as well. I think they assume that most folks will strap an L-2
across all the songs as well as the 2-buss these days and sluff off proper
editing in Forge. I don't recommend that myself.

Personally, I'd measure the difference between peak and average, and
depending on the music style and mix characteristics, use peak limiting
before normalization. Then normalize using a Peak level below FS.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

#1 Normalizing to an RMS level is pretty bad and almost always distorts. If I
normalize at all I do it using the peak level.

#2 Compression won't prevent clipping. Limiting will. Tread carefully.

---
-Jay Kahrs
Owner - Chief Engineer
Mad Moose Recording Inc.
Morris Plains, NJ
http://www.madmooserecording.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Come visit me here -- http://www.gearslutz.com

#1 Normalizing to an RMS level is pretty bad and almost always distorts.

Not if you set the "If Clipping Occurs" box to "Normalise peak value to 0dB"

If I normalize at all I do it using the peak level.

Your choice.

#2 Compression won't prevent clipping. Limiting will. Tread carefully.

For the same RMS level, sufficient compression WILL prevent clipping.
But you need to define the difference between compression, soft limiting,
hard limiting and clipping in your terminology.

Trevor.