LeBaron & Alrich

Default Speck MicPre 5.0 Mix Node Fun

Some of y'all may have read about how I amp my electric guitar, and
sometimes acoustic instruments with pickups, too. In short, I split a
pre out into a line mixer and a processor, then bring the DSP outs into
the mixer, and feed the resulting mix to a power amp.

With the Speck MicPre 5.0 I can eliminate the line mixer by taking a
direct output from the pre to the processor and returning the processed
signal in stereo to the mix bus, then feeding the power amp from the
pre's L & R outputs. The one caveat about this is that I must control
the wet/dry ratio from within the DSP unit, which isn't always as
convenient as grabbing a knob and twisting. Still, this makes for a very
high quality and compact signal path.

Further, I'm also now experimenting with combining a mic into the Speck
MicPre, instrument into an Alembic F-2B which then feeds the processor,
and again, bringing the processor outputs into the Speck's Mix Node. If
I need but one mic and an axe "to go", this is looking like fun. (I'm
getting older and tired of carrying stuff. g)

All in all, the Speck preamp is proving to be very versatile, dang good
sounding to me, and combined with the Speck ASC parametric EQ, it makes
for a powerful signal mangling and/or a subtly controllable chain to
capture the "power & delicacy" of what's fed it.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
reap

Wow your really getting into the box , I just use it as a pre-amp that
sounds great on just about anything from 57's on 4x12 cabs ala iron in, to
my tlm 103 on a sexy sounding girls voice iron out.

Dan
"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Kurt Albershardt

Hank Alrich wrote:

Some of y'all may have read about how I amp my electric guitar, and
sometimes acoustic instruments with pickups, too. In short, I split a
pre out into a line mixer and a processor, then bring the DSP outs into
the mixer, and feed the resulting mix to a power amp.

With the Speck MicPre 5.0 I can eliminate the line mixer by taking a
direct output from the pre to the processor and returning the processed
signal in stereo to the mix bus, then feeding the power amp from the
pre's L & R outputs. The one caveat about this is that I must control
the wet/dry ratio from within the DSP unit, which isn't always as
convenient as grabbing a knob and twisting. Still, this makes for a very
high quality and compact signal path.

Works on the FMR RNP, too!

Rane MS-1b Micpre robo Pro Audio 11 July 8th 03 04:35 AM
Speck EQ 16 LeBaron & Alrich Pro Audio 6 July 5th 03 02:46 PM