IanJ

Default 4*spdif -> ADAT

Hi All,

I have a connection problem.
I need to take four PCM coaxial digital feeds and combine them into
one ADAT connection to be fed into a RME soundcard.

Would each channel be preserved bit perfect during the combination via
any conversion box I may use?

thanks in advance for any help offered

SDeFusco25

your 4 SPDIF sources *are* all clocked together, then you won't have any
clocking problems and can try and find a suitable 4in 1 out box.

I've been looking for a device like this for SPDIF to the SPDIF input on my
Delta1010 (to avoid having to disconnect/connect SPDIF cable each time I want
to record a different device). Anyone have any suggestions?

-Scott
Anthony Preston

try this,

http://www.digitalrouting.com

Spotted it in the rec.audio.marketplace.

"SDeFusco25" wrote in message
your 4 SPDIF sources *are* all clocked together, then you won't have

any
clocking problems and can try and find a suitable 4in 1 out box.

I've been looking for a device like this for SPDIF to the SPDIF input on

my
Delta1010 (to avoid having to disconnect/connect SPDIF cable each time I

want
to record a different device). Anyone have any suggestions?

-Scott

IanJ

All four sources are clocked together. Speaking with RME, it appears
their ADI8-DD does what I require, albiet at a higher price than I had
budgeted, about 750ukpounds. It offers are lot more than just the
basic spdif combining I require.

Anybody know of something with similar combining functionality, but at
a lesser price?

thanks for all the good advice
Ian

On 14 Jul 2003 13:10:54 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

IanJ wrote:

I have a connection problem.
I need to take four PCM coaxial digital feeds and combine them into
one ADAT connection to be fed into a RME soundcard.

Are all the sources clocked together?

Would each channel be preserved bit perfect during the combination via
any conversion box I may use?

Depends on whether everything is clocked together or whether they need
to be resampled.

Vernon Boyce

:
: Anybody know of something with similar combining functionality, but at
: a lesser price?

Seems that RME box is just what you want. www.musiciansgear.com is selling
them for GBP615 (or GBP530 if you are VAT registered).

The Alesis AI4 is a lot cheaper (about US$400), but not sure if the AES/EBU
ports are SPDIF compatible like the RME units say theirs are, though. I've
hooked up a spdif out to and AES/EBU in (and vice versa) by making up a
little adapter cable. It worked in my case, but I recall reading somewhere
that there may be problems doing this. Worth investigating though.

Regards,
Vernon.

--
Vernon Boyce, Soft Audio, , http://live.softaudio.com
Live recording of acoustic music in Dublin, Ireland

Preben Friis

"Vernon Boyce" wrote in message
The Alesis AI4 is a lot cheaper (about US$400), but not sure if the

AES/EBU
ports are SPDIF compatible like the RME units say theirs are, though.

I've
hooked up a spdif out to and AES/EBU in (and vice versa) by making up a
little adapter cable. It worked in my case, but I recall reading

somewhere
that there may be problems doing this. Worth investigating though.

From the AI4 manual:

"You can connect the output of S/PDIF devices to the AI4's AES jacks, but
these connections must still travel through a balanced line. We recommend
using an impedance matching transformer to prevent reflections in the cable
that can cause errors in the digital signal."

/Preben Friis