What is the best clipped peak restoration tool?

Old September 23rd 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.audio.tech

Default What is the best clipped peak restoration tool?

Arny Krueger > wrote:
: If you clip a wave a lot, so much evidence about what the wave should be
: has been lost, that any restoration has to be based on guesswork.

Yes, if you clip a lot, it is very likely the original wave is
considerably more complex than just a parametric interpolation.
Despite that, I have noticed that it can sometimes slightly
improve the sound.

Old September 24th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff

Arny Krueger wrote:
> > wrote in message
>

>> Clip restoration tool in CoolEdit is what I've been using.

> As have I. It's not the solution of anybody's dreams, but if you work
> with its parameters, it does about as good job of a
> reasonable-appearing cleanup as I've seen.

Sound Forge has a Clipped Peak Restoration tool. Seems to work in a fairly
basic way.

Old September 24th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Industrial One

I've tried Sound Forge. The declipped waveform *looks* reconstructed
and close to the original, but still sounds distorted nonetheless. The
ClipFix plugin for Audacity is somewhat better, the one for Nero Wave
Editor is highly regarded by some but the application is unstable, the
instructions suck horse cock and the declipper didn't do any better
than Sound Forge and ADDED distortion. The CoolEdit tool looks
promising. What parameters would you guys recommend? Should I amplify
by -15 dB before I run the restoration tool or no? What is the best
choice? I don't care if the operation will take forever to do, I need
the restoration to be maximal.
Old September 24th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Tony[_11_]

Any lossy encoding of lightly clipped material (eg MP3) will improve things slightly, if
the clipping artifacts are judged less important than the rest. Of course that also
introduces other problems, and can lead to much worse clipping on playback. But the latter
can at least be countered with MP3Gain or any manual pre-DAC digital gain control (eg drop
the gain in WinAmp's EQ), or by scaling back the clipped waveform (eg -6dB) before
encoding (better). I would never suggest that MP3 encoding should be able to rival a
dedicated clip removal tool, but it's better than one might expect (when the gain is
reduced before encoding to avoid playback clipping), and Cool Edit's dedicated tool is
worse than one might expect.
Tony
Old September 24th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"geoff" > wrote in message
> Sound Forge has a Clipped Peak Restoration tool. Seems to work in a fairly
> basic way.

Yep, that's been my assessment of it too, and rarely much, if any,
improvement.

I agree with what others have already said, slight clipping is not so much
of a problem, in fact most modern CD's use it to a greater or lesser extent
in the mastering process. (not that I think that is a good thing however)
Major clipping can rarely be improved much beyond some high frequency
filtering.

Given the 100dB+ dynamic range of even some cheap sound cards these days,
clipping is *easy* to avoid in the first place, so no tools should be
necessary anyway.

MrT.

Audio restoration MiNe 109 Audio Opinions 2 February 10th 07 01:45 AM
playing waveforms that are clipped to begin with George Car Audio 2 February 19th 06 01:01 AM
LPs restoration Gigio Pro Audio 6 January 11th 06 01:20 PM
When ripping an MP3...looks way clipped? Mondoslug1 Pro Audio 9 March 25th 04 12:46 PM
Audio restoration and enhancement tool Siyan Li Tech 20 February 28th 04 09:49 PM