Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Simple IR remote volume kit.

Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On May 30, 3:36*pm, Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a *simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

If ALPS doesn't sell an IR kit to command their motorised pot, try
Velleman Kit. I now they make a remote kit (several in fact), so you
will have a choice. Velleman is pricey but well worth the cost --
they're make the best kits in the world and have the best service. I
have the most expensive and complicated of their remote kits, included
with their tres expensif digital pre-amp, and it really does the biz.

Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On May 30, 10:36*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a *simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

There are any number of R/C units that will do this, but they are
noisy, messy and extremely imprecise. However:

http://www.welbornelabs.com/remote.htm

Seems to make the entirety in a neat package.

Another DIY Option:

http://www.vaneijndhoven.net/jos/switchr/design.html

He does sell kits.

http://eshop.diyclub.biz/product_inf...roducts_id=195 ALPS, of
course. Any off-the-shelf All-Brand remote will serve for the hand-
held part.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Paul Babiak Paul Babiak is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/...rds/index.html
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Raymond Koonce Raymond Koonce is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

I bought one a few years back from Mikkel Simonsen. His email at that
time was x (remove the xxx). It also included a
pair of relay controllers that can be used for mute or B+ delay.

Best regards,

Raymond

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

**One of the Australian magazines (Silicon Chip, June 2002) published a kit
which will suit your requirements. Altronics has the kit available. Part#
K5026. If you have problems obtaining the kit, let me know and I'll assist.
OTOH, these guys:

http://www.rcsradio.com.au/

will also be able to assist you. They stock all the PCBs for all the kits
from way back. I built a few and substituted ALPS pots for some jobs awhile
ago.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Raymond Koonce wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

I bought one a few years back from Mikkel Simonsen. His email at that
time was x (remove the xxx). It also included a
pair of relay controllers that can be used for mute or B+ delay.

Best regards,

Raymond

Thanks Raymond,

I couldn't recall his contact details.

The ppl at altronics.com.au used to have a remote kit and I addapted one
for a preamp I made in 2003 for a guy in Qld, which works fine.

But they stopped kit production and afte a Google search I could not
find something
simple.

I've emailed Mikkel and will se what happens.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Raymond Koonce wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

I bought one a few years back from Mikkel Simonsen. His email at that
time was x (remove the xxx). It also included a
pair of relay controllers that can be used for mute or B+ delay.

Best regards,

Raymond

Thanks Raymond,

I couldn't recall his contact details.

The ppl at altronics.com.au used to have a remote kit and I addapted one
for a preamp I made in 2003 for a guy in Qld, which works fine.

But they stopped kit production and afte a Google search I could not
find something
simple...

**According to the Altronics site, the device is still available.

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=K5026

As I said before, if you have problems with Altronics, contact RCS Radio.
They stock every design from just after I was born.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Andre Jute wrote:

On May 30, 3:36 pm, Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

If ALPS doesn't sell an IR kit to command their motorised pot, try
Velleman Kit. I now they make a remote kit (several in fact), so you
will have a choice. Velleman is pricey but well worth the cost --
they're make the best kits in the world and have the best service. I
have the most expensive and complicated of their remote kits, included
with their tres expensif digital pre-amp, and it really does the biz.

Andre Jute

I looked at what Velleman has, but maybe not exactly what i
want, ie, tiny 9V powered IR sender and only 'up' or 'down'
functions for volume control using a motorised pot. Nothing else is
needed.

I have to speak to Altronics here on monday to see if they have any kits
left over from past productions.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Peter Wieck wrote:

On May 30, 10:36 am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

There are any number of R/C units that will do this, but they are
noisy, messy and extremely imprecise. However:

http://www.welbornelabs.com/remote.htm

Seems to make the entirety in a neat package.

Another DIY Option:

http://www.vaneijndhoven.net/jos/switchr/design.html

He does sell kits.

http://eshop.diyclub.biz/product_inf...roducts_id=195 ALPS, of
course. Any off-the-shelf All-Brand remote will serve for the hand-
held part.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Google brought up all those last night before I posted.

None are suitable except the last one perhaps.

I need to put a remote control into an existing integrated power amp
where the guy wants to use the line level preamp only.

Last year I completely re-designed and re-engineered a CR Developments
'Woodham' amp.
We have compared the performance of my simple design of the single
triode preamp I made
with others costing thousands and very elaborate, and mine sounded best.

So he wishes to use the preamp with the 845 amps I have made.

But he wants remote V control so it has to be simple, and like what I
made
using an Altronics kit in 2003,

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/line-preamp-2003.html

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Paul Babiak wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/...rds/index.html

Thanks Paul,

They look about right and there is a motorized pot included.

I have to see exactly what is possible when i take the bottom cover
off the existing amp to see how I can fit things in.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

Paul Babiak wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

Patrick Turner.

http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/...rds/index.html

Thanks Paul,

They look about right and there is a motorized pot included.

I have to see exactly what is possible when i take the bottom cover
off the existing amp to see how I can fit things in.

Patrick Turner.

No problem Patrick.

These are actually Mikkel Simonsen's designs.
I'm using the Remote3 passive pre, more functions than you are looking
for I know, I've had no problems with it at all.

Paul
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

What transmitter do you intend to use?

I remember Mikkel used RC5 code, but he may offer others by
now. It may be worth considering what your customer already
uses, to maximise convenience and avoid conflict.

If you find you want to use Sharp code and can't find a
suitable unit or kit, I can supply a programmed chip at
cost. You'll need to make an H bridge for the motor drive,
and get a receiver chip from Vishay or Sharp, a 27 pin PLCC
socket (you'll only need 6 or 7 of the pins), and a 3.3V
vreg for the chip supply. At the moment mine's built on
stripboard.

Mikkel's stuff seems to have a good reputation, so I would
go for that if it's suitable.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Anyone know where to get a simple
remote volume control kit just for
powering a motorised pot.

What transmitter do you intend to use?

I remember Mikkel used RC5 code, but he may offer others by
now. It may be worth considering what your customer already
uses, to maximise convenience and avoid conflict.

If you find you want to use Sharp code and can't find a
suitable unit or kit, I can supply a programmed chip at
cost. You'll need to make an H bridge for the motor drive,
and get a receiver chip from Vishay or Sharp, a 27 pin PLCC
socket (you'll only need 6 or 7 of the pins), and a 3.3V
vreg for the chip supply. At the moment mine's built on
stripboard.

Mikkel's stuff seems to have a good reputation, so I would
go for that if it's suitable.

Ian

Mikkel has his remotes in stock and is still making them.

Maybe Altronics here have their kits in stock which I will findoutabout
tomorrow by phone, and the price should be cooler than buying
from OS.

Its a similar thing to Mikkel's but I have to
add a bjt stage after the chip to drive a harder to drive motor fitted
an Alps pot than the one used with the Altronics kit.
So there is a still a fair amount of work I have to do
to get a working kit just the way I want it.

I've used the Altronics kit before so may stay with it
and buy the Alps pots with motors separately, but if Mikkel's
prices and inclusions are better then I'll shop with him rather than
Altronics.
I'll know when he replies to my latest email.
I want to buy 3 kits at least because ppl ask me for them
and I want to be able to offer them.

I'm so busy I do not want to R&D this stuff.

Mikkel is at

X but remove the XXX.

Patrick Turner.