S. Beaupre

Default Ventilation required in equip cabinet

I'm in the process of buying a cabinet to house my equipment. The unit
I am looking at is closed in the back (save for holes for feeding
wire), open in the front (no doors). I'm concerned with ventilation
for my receiever (Denon stereo receiver, 80 watts). One shelf unit
provides 1 inch of clearance, the other 5 inches. Is 1 inch worth
considering? Will 5 inches be enough? Thanks!

/Steve
Harry Lavo

"S. Beaupre" wrote in message
I'm in the process of buying a cabinet to house my equipment. The unit
I am looking at is closed in the back (save for holes for feeding
wire), open in the front (no doors). I'm concerned with ventilation
for my receiever (Denon stereo receiver, 80 watts). One shelf unit
provides 1 inch of clearance, the other 5 inches. Is 1 inch worth
considering? Will 5 inches be enough? Thanks!

1" is probably not enough; 5" might do it. But better yet, cut a hole or
holes in the back and install a "silent" muffin fan (or fans) to pull the
air through. Run the power from your receiver so the fans turn on with the
receiver. I ran a cabinet that way for ten years even with a tube pre and
power amp inside with no problem.
Uptown Audio

You should be fine either way with the stereo amp, but I would also
cut a large rectangle out of the back for ventilation and easy access
to terminals. It is a huge hassle to have to feed wires through holes
and at some point you have to decide which wire is which without
seeing it but from one side, which is a senseless pain considering it
could be eliminated. You can also make use of shorter cables more
easily with a larger work area. I would leave enough material along
the frame of the rack for support as cheaper racks use the back as a
crossbrace and removing the angles from the corners or edges removes
the crossbracing. The thicker the back material, the closer to the
edges that you can trim it. Use your own judgement based upon the
stands stability from side to side.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA