Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.car
Radium[_4_] Radium[_4_] is offline

Default Usenet Abuse: Someone at IP address 151.249.161.122 is impersonating me and posting nonsense

'Did you go and see the prisoners hanged yesterday?' said Syme.
'I was working,' said Winston indifferently. 'I shall see it on the
flicks, I suppose.'
'A very inadequate substitute,' said Syme.
His mocking eyes roved over Winston's face. 'I know you,' the eyes
seemed to say, 'I see through you. I know very well why you didn't go to
see those prisoners hanged.' In an intellectual way, Syme was venomously
orthodox. He would talk with a disagreeable gloating satisfaction of
helicopter raids on enemy villages, and trials and confessions of thought-
criminals, the executions in the cellars of the Ministry of Love. Talking
to him was largely a matter of getting him away from such subjects and
entangling him, if possible, in the technicalities of Newspeak, on which he
was authoritative and interesting. Winston turned his head a little aside
to avoid the scrutiny of the large dark eyes.
'It was a good hanging,' said Syme reminiscently. 'I think it spoils
it when they tie their feet together. I like to see them kicking. And above
all, at the end, the tongue sticking right out, and blue -- a quite bright
blue. That's the detail that appeals to me.'
'Nex', please!' yelled the white-aproned prole with the ladle.
Winston and Syme pushed their trays beneath the grille. On to each was
dumped swiftly the regulation lunch -- a metal pannikin of pinkish-grey
stew, a hunk of bread, a cube of cheese, a mug of milkless Victory Coffee,
and one saccharine tablet.
'There's a table over there, under that telescreen,' said Syme. 'Let's
pick up a gin on the way.'