Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Rutman Neil Rutman is offline

Default mic repair

I pulled out a neumann km 184 that I hadn't used in several months and it
wasn't working. I tried a few things based on advice from knowledgable
sources mostly involving checking wire connections and grounding problems to
no avail. Someone on this group suggested sending off to Sennheiser/Neumann
which I did. They told me I need a new pc board ($410) and with labor, tax &
shipping comes to $544.

My question is do they even attempt to repair the old pc board before they
recommend replacement? Is it cheaper to replace than to repair? I'm thinking
there's gotta be a cheaper option than this. Times are tough at tax time.

Thanks,

Neil R

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Satz David Satz is offline

Neil Rutman wrote:

Someone on this group suggested sending off to Sennheiser/Neumann
which I did. They told me I need a new pc board ($410) and with labor, tax &
shipping comes to $544.

I recommended Neumann USA's repair service and I'm appalled at this
proposed repair charge. Unless the board itself is badly damaged, the
most expensive part that ought to need replacement in a KM 180-series
amplifier is a hybrid IC that I doubt costs more than $100, even with
their markup.

If I were you I would start asking whether the repair can be made by
less drastic and expensive means. It's a reasonable request unless, as
I said, the board itself is badly damaged.

Is it cheaper to replace than to repair?

You can find good used KM 184s for less than $600. If you're using two
KM 184s as
a stereo pair, however, be aware that there have been two models of
the circuit. The newer ones are quieter by a few dB, and also require
about 50% more current from the phantom power supply. The changeover
occurred in 2001 or 2002.

Please let us all know whatever happens.

--best regards

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Neil Rutman wrote:
I pulled out a neumann km 184 that I hadn't used in several months and it
wasn't working. I tried a few things based on advice from knowledgable
sources mostly involving checking wire connections and grounding problems to
no avail. Someone on this group suggested sending off to Sennheiser/Neumann
which I did. They told me I need a new pc board ($410) and with labor, tax &
shipping comes to $544.

My question is do they even attempt to repair the old pc board before they
recommend replacement? Is it cheaper to replace than to repair? I'm thinking
there's gotta be a cheaper option than this. Times are tough at tax time.

Sounds like they didn't, which is shameful. Ask them why they can't do a
component-level repair. If they're just going to swap the whole damn board
out, you can do that yourself and save the labour.

Bad CD Repair allows to copy files from bad CD or HDD. If your text or mp3 or any other type of file is corrupted then use Bad CD Repair to save it! Restore your data [email protected] General 0 January 31st 07 03:24 PM
amp repair?? henrid Car Audio 3 March 28th 04 09:44 AM
amp repair wicked1 Car Audio 9 January 3rd 04 07:14 PM
beogram 8000 turntable repair any shadetree repair techs out there? s [email protected] High End Audio 0 August 24th 03 08:32 PM
KM-84 repair? Tom Garneau Pro Audio 0 August 24th 03 05:39 AM