Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default ampex 440 record alignment

Paul Stamler wrote:

What digital control? My humidifier is a piece of rubber tubing with a
sponge in it.

You mean you don't keep your guitars in those fancy display cases with
the climate control system? I saw one at a NAMM show a couple of years
back that cost more than most of my guitars are worth, but I guess if
you have a $100,000 guitar that you want to keep on display, it's worth
putting it in a $3500 case. But don't forget the batteries for the
backup UPS. g

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

bill "just use comcast", "you know the drill for no spam bots." wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
bill "just use comcast", "you know the drill for no spam bots." wrote:
If you are thinking anything much below about 10 KHz an A/D converter
into the computer might make for a better graphing instrument.

Latency becomes a nightmare. For the azimuth adjustment, you are looking
an an X-Y plot display, and adjusting the physical head angle until you
see a nice line on the lissajous display. A 1/10 sec delay between turning
the greenie and seeing something on the screen is intolerable. I tried to
peak a radio IF strip with an HP digital scope and it was just incredibly
frustrating because it took so long for any change to get displayed that I'd
constantly overshoot the peak.

You said the magic word to me, H.P., High Priced junk scopes. They were
never the equals of Tektronix. I have worked at both companies and while
at H.P. I would have killed for a Tek scope.

I dunno, I had an old HP160 for years (well, the AN/USM-141 that was the
militarized version) and I was happy with it. The newer Tek digitals are
a lot more convenient than the HP digitals, but even so I think I'll stay
away from digital scopes for tweaking.

No, the Tek storage scopes actually have a charged plate so that once
you write on the screen, it stays there indefinitely until you press the
clear button. Invaluable for looking at momentary glitches in servo circuits.
Total overkill for alignment.

I remember those now, but I don't think it was indefinite, just a really
slow fade until you reset it. I never actually worked with one in good
shape. I bought one to fix up but it was a goner and wound up being a
parts unit.

Well, it will last for a few hours, anyway. And a lot more convenient than
trying to trace down intermittent glitches with a Polaroid camera with the
shutter left open. This sort of thing IS a whole lot easier with a digital
scope, though... the digital scope makes working on random glitch problems
on digital circuits a thousand times easier.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
bill bill is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
[...]

I have really never liked digitals since you can get totally screwed up
if you have the sample rate wrong. I have a 4 channel Tektronix 2245,
100 MHz and would not trade it for a digital, period.

No, the Tek storage scopes actually have a charged plate so that once
you write on the screen, it stays there indefinitely until you press the
clear button. Invaluable for looking at momentary glitches in servo circuits.
Total overkill for alignment.

I remember those now, but I don't think it was indefinite, just a really
slow fade until you reset it. I never actually worked with one in good
shape. I bought one to fix up but it was a goner and wound up being a
parts unit.

Well, it will last for a few hours, anyway. And a lot more convenient than
trying to trace down intermittent glitches with a Polaroid camera with the
shutter left open. This sort of thing IS a whole lot easier with a digital
scope, though... the digital scope makes working on random glitch problems
on digital circuits a thousand times easier.
--scott

Yes to that. I worked at a fiber optic communications place where they
were doing overnight analysis of eye patterns for bit error testing and
the digital scopes just kept adding all night long. If there was even
one error overnight it was still there in the morning.

--
Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul Stamler wrote:

What digital control? My humidifier is a piece of rubber tubing with a
sponge in it.

You mean you don't keep your guitars in those fancy display cases with
the climate control system? I saw one at a NAMM show a couple of years
back that cost more than most of my guitars are worth, but I guess if
you have a $100,000 guitar that you want to keep on display, it's worth
putting it in a $3500 case. But don't forget the batteries for the
backup UPS. g

The cost of the truck needed to haul the display case to gigs would be
prohibitive. And playing inside a glass case is so artistically confining.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline