Alpine DVA-9861 or look for a CDA-9855

Old May 23rd 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.audio.car

Default Alpine DVA-9861 or look for a CDA-9855

Hi all,

I purchased an Alpine DVA-9861 head unit after I was told by the
installer/ sales guy that the new name for Alpine's MX technology was
BBE, and that this was only available in the DVD units. Also that time
correction, graphic equalizer, ipersonalize etc. was available with
this unit.

Yes, I should have done my research before I bought anything, as I
found that neither of the above are true.

I find it surprising that the ipersonalize / Bass engine pro / graphic
equalizer and time correction isn't available in any of the 2006 Alpine
HU except the top of the line DVD player. Considering the fact that I
will not be hooking up this player to watch movies, would you return
the 9861 and try to find a 9855? I will be using it exclusively to play
MP3s either on disc or my Ipod

Thanks for any thoughts
Diane

Old May 23rd 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.audio.car

Yes, I WOULD try and find the 9855. I own the 9853 (VERY similar except for
a different display) and I LOVE it. The new Alpine's are doing away with
Bass Engine Pro which is truly a shame because I find those features
INDISPENSABLE. Especially the time-correction. It makes a HUGE difference
(for the VERY FIRST TIME, I have a ROCK-SOLID center image). As far as the
BBE vs. MX, well frankly I liked the BBE feature better. You see, I used to
own an Alpine 7863 (which had BBE and I loved it, I ALWAYS had it engaged).
My new 9853, however, has the "newer" MX function, which is OK on some types
of music, but as a rule, I now leave that function off almost all the time.

But again, the parametric EQ, the time-correction, and the extensive X-over
features are WONDERFUL and I truly ADORE this HU. I would run right out NOW
and buy a 9855 while you can still buy a new Alpine HU with the Bass Engine
Pro function.

I have NO IDEA why Alpine is doing away with these features on their non-DVD
units. Perhaps they feel that to the "average" consumer, these features
make the deck too complicated (I have to admit, without the owner's manual,
you would NEVER in a thousand years figure out how to engage these advanced
functions). Also, I do feel it was a mistake on the part of Alpine to make
it nearly impossible to adjust bass and treble while driving (it involves
negotiating through several menus to get to the EQ, very tricky when you
need to keep your eyes on the road). I have to admit I miss a simple bass
and treble control (if you're like me, you will too). But besides that
SMALL defect, I think these Bass Engine Pro units are THE BEST Alpine has
ever produced (and I have owned three Alpine's, two Kenwoods, and a Pioneer
in my life).

MOSFET

oups.com...