Sander deWaal

Default Older Amp Concern

Monroe said:

Looking at purchasing a used DIA-100. I suspect late 80's vintage (a
Mark I?). Are there concerns with the life or condition of older
solid state components i.e. purchasing something that has seen regular
use for some 15 to 20-odd years, is there something more than buyer
beware; more along the lines of what one should anticipate?

In general, electrolytic capacitors are prone to fail after such a
period of time.
The nature of said failing can be diverse, like leaking (both
electrically and physically), losing their capacity, increasing series
resistance etc.

Replacement of *all* electrolytics is in order if you want to have the
unit back to its original state.

Also, it is recommended to resolder the PCBs, especially the
components that get warm or even hot.

Apart from the above factors, it is my experience that very few other
components pose problems in a solid state unit that is otherwise well
designed and has been used within its parameters.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005